Last edit by: ISTFlyer
The confirmed movement day is: 5-6 April 2019
Print Wikipost

Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:14 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Drove from and to the new Airport this week with a rental car.

Some observations:

1) Glad the carpark for rental cars is now attached to the terminal! No more ferry trips to a remote carpark.

​​​​​​2) Google maps seems to guide you onto a highway which isn't open yet. I ended up driving through some seriously bumpy backstreets, but go to our destination ok.

3) driving to the airport at 6pm insummer, with the sun on the horizon glaring into your eyes, you end up not being able to read the signboards. They should have LED signboards for the final 10km.

4) The fuel station near the rental cars seems to be an afterthought. Someone must have completely forgotten about the fact that vehicles need to be refuelled.

​​​​
Romanianflyer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Braswch
Is there any arrivals lounge yet? I read that Turkish Airlines was suppsoe to be opening an Arrivals Lounge this summer.

Thanks!
Nothing yet, and also no signs of it opening in the coming days and weeks. Might easily be Autumn or a bit longer even.

Same goes for the promised 'exclusive lounge' and Sky Team lounge
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Thanks! I guess that helps decide shower at IST vs. Hotel on arrival.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:24 am

Diverts question

I've noticed on FR24 a handful of instances that a flight I will be taking from ATL has diverted to the old airport recently.

How is TK getting passengers from ISL to IST? Are they busing them or flying them once the wx improves at IST?

Thanks

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Aug 16, 2019 at 3:59 am
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
What is TK's lounge policy in this case? Arriving late afternoon, flying out early morning (staying at the Hotel airside) Can I use the TK lounges as normal, even though my flight is in the next morning? Flying TK C and TK *G.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
What is TK's lounge policy in this case? Arriving late afternoon, flying out early morning (staying at the Hotel airside) Can I use the TK lounges as normal, even though my flight is in the next morning? Flying TK C and TK *G.
If your asking can you use lounges in the airport while you stay at the YotelAir, then according to an email I received from Yotel staff, the answer is yes you can.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
You could use the TK Business Lounge 24 hours before departure and you could enter the lounge multiple times during that period.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I've noticed on FR24 a handful of instances that a flight I will be taking from ATL has diverted to the old airport recently.

How is TK getting passengers from ISL to IST? Are they busing them or flying them once the wx improves at IST?

Thanks
Are you really positive about that observance of yours, that (at least one) commercial passenger flight diverted to ISL (the Ataturk AP)? We have not heard of this kind of diversion, neither today nor in the past - since current IST has become operational. After 6th April, a lot of wide bodies are using ISL but these are exclusively the all-cargo planes and Turkish Republic's Presidential flights.
SFOTraveler1984 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mafaky
Are you really positive about that observance of yours, that (at least one) commercial passenger flight diverted to ISL (the Ataturk AP)? We have not heard of this kind of diversion, neither today nor in the past - since current IST has become operational. After 6th April, a lot of wide bodies are using ISL but these are exclusively the all-cargo planes and Turkish Republic's Presidential flights.
This was a double-post by @RetiredATLATC. As discussed at the TK Forum already, it is a glitch on Flightradar24.
You are right that operations at new IST are smooth currently.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would also note that since the opening of the airport there have been 179 diversions due to weather and the like, while the media has turned that into a big thing, it is an average of about 1.5 flights per day....
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
I would also note that since the opening of the airport there have been 179 diversions due to weather and the like, while the media has turned that into a big thing, it is an average of about 1.5 flights per day....
Agreed, but I think the real challenge probably only comes in the winter months.
Also, I have seen some media reports in Turkish that the ICAO has noted some safety concerns regarding the new airport. Since I do not speak Turkish, I don't have the full details. If somebody here has more information, I'd be interested to know.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm really curious to know what the FAA and TSA had to say, when they finally did their inspection. We all heard that the Brits had more than 20 issues, but since then nothing.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
According to the Priority Pass app, there is no affiliated lounge at new IST yet. Can sombody confirm this?

Thank you.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ariel_sjo
According to the Priority Pass app, there is no affiliated lounge at new IST yet. Can sombody confirm this?

Thank you.
It's true that there aren't any PriorityPass lounges at Istanbul Airport.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:21 am

KLM check in

Anyone know where the KLM check in desk is at the new airport. This to have my friends dropped off at the right door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.