Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

How to get a pork hedgehog served on an Etihad First Class flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get a pork hedgehog served on an Etihad First Class flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Question How to get a pork hedgehog served on an Etihad First Class flight

Hi folks,

I have a very special request for one of my Etihad flights in First Class and would like to get your input whom I should contact for this.

I'd like to have a small pork hedgehog (see image below; ground pork decorated that it looks like a hedgehog) served for my wife and me. As a backup a "regular" bread roll with ground pork (not minced meat) and onions would be acceptable.

For sure I could buy/make one at home and take it with me but it is quite a timespan between leaving home, two more flights in between with more than 12 hours until I want to have it served finally. I could put it in a cold box and leave it in the fridge on the airplanes and the lounges to stay cold and fresh, but that doesn't sound convenient too me.

Rather I'd like to pick it up in AUH in the Etihad First Class lounge or request it as a (very) "special" meal for that leg. Maybe there is a concierge service at Etihad First Class lounge I could get in contact upfront?

What are your ideas on that? Any recommendations how to get achieve the goal "get a pork hedgehog served on a First Class flight"?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Best
Heinz

Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:14 am

Talking

LOL. I note you also want to wear a carnival costume. No, I don't really have an answer for you, but I do have a suggestion for the next thread: "On my flight to UAE, can I bring cannabis edibles, as long as I eat them all before landing?".
irishguy28 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
From etihad.com:

Halal

All of the meals we serve on board are prepared in strict compliance with Halal regulations. All of our meals and products are suitable for Muslims, so there is no need to make a request in advance.

Something tells me that a pork hedgehog is not quite going to be welcomed with open arms.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
From etihad.com:

Halal

All of the meals we serve on board are prepared in strict compliance with Halal regulations. All of our meals and products are suitable for Muslims, so there is no need to make a request in advance.

Something tells me that a pork hedgehog is not quite going to be welcomed with open arms.
...unless of course it's an emotional support hedgehog?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:42 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Medical help for you is available both pre & post flight @:-)
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Having nothing to do with halal, the chances that an international carrier is going to knowingly permit raw unrefrigerated pork onto the aircraft is likely something capable of being measured but so slim as to not warrant that.

Add into that this carrier's particular concerns and the chances may be a negative number. If that is possible.
ExplorerWannabe and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:24 am

Heinz, I just get this feeling you 're flying on completely the wrong day....
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blue2002
LOL. I note you also want to wear a carnival costume. No, I don't really have an answer for you, but I do have a suggestion for the next thread: "On my flight to UAE, can I bring cannabis edibles, as long as I eat them all before landing?".
LOL. That‘s actually the only two requests I have. No Cannabis, no drugs, nothing which could bring me into serious trouble. In Cologne, carnival and ground hedgehog just belongs together. And as we are up in the air that special day, I‘d like to celebrate it as close as possible (of course without cutting ties of other passengers), but for sure I will bring a Kölsch (beer) with me from duty free :-)

From etihad.com:

Halal

True, true :-(

...unless of course it's an emotional support hedgehog?
It‘s not really an emotional support hedgehog.

Originally Posted by Often1
Having nothing to do with halal, the chances that an international carrier is going to knowingly permit raw unrefrigerated pork onto the aircraft is likely something capable of being measured but so slim as to not warrant that.

Add into that this carrier's particular concerns and the chances may be a negative number. If that is possible.
True, true. Seems that I have to look for a different solution. Maybe a halal hedgehog?

Originally Posted by Dubh
Heinz, I just get this feeling you 're flying on completely the wrong day....
Fully agree. But that were the only acceptable days for award availability plus there is a public holiday during that time so we save a precious vacation day. So we thought it would be great fun to celebrate it in a different way this year.

Anyone an idea how to get a halal hedgehog? Is there a kind of concierge service anyone is aware of at Etihad First Class lounge in AUH?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: QF WP
I have a question, is this your first time in first class? I just wonder about your expectations

closest thing I can think of to the raw pork thing that would be halal is something like steak tartare but I can’t imagine that being served on a plane or in a lounge either. Perhaps someone can help with a decent French restaurant at one of your layover points? I assume they would be able to shape it roughly into a hog shape
irishguy28 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Have already done 20+ First class flights. But none with Etihad so far. Expectations are as always: have a comfortable flight.

Thanks for the restaurant idea, that's definitely something I will do some research.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nancypants
I have a question, is this your first time in first class? I just wonder about your expectations

closest thing I can think of to the raw pork thing that would be halal is something like steak tartare but I can’t imagine that being served on a plane or in a lounge either. Perhaps someone can help with a decent French restaurant at one of your layover points? I assume they would be able to shape it roughly into a hog shape
Ground beef would definitely be a better option, but as often1 said, I don't like the OP's chances of getting the crew to actually prepare and serve the product. I'm guessing it actually has to be cooked?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA
Perhaps it would have been better to not fly on this “special day”.

Even thinking about requesting a raw minced pork dish to be served on Etihad is perplexing— perhaps spend some time learning about halal and haram foods?

I believe Eithad like many airlines does not provide a refrigeration service for passengers on aircrafts.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arttravel
Perhaps it would have been better to not fly on this “special day”.

Even thinking about requesting a raw minced pork dish to be served on Etihad is perplexing— perhaps spend some time learning about halal and haram foods?

I believe Eithad like many airlines does not provide a refrigeration service for passengers on aircrafts.
Thanks for your feedback and your opinion.

I think I will buy me a portable USB fridge, prepare two bread rolls with ground pork and onions at home and eat them in a moment where we don't attract anyones attention during the flight.
ID90_J likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Ground beef would definitely be a better option, but as often1 said, I don't like the OP's chances of getting the crew to actually prepare and serve the product. I'm guessing it actually has to be cooked?
No, it is eaten raw. Google Mettwurst.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
No, it is eaten raw. Google Mettwurst.
I had heard of Mettwurst, but the hedgehog dish is a new one on me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.