Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

How to get a pork hedgehog served on an Etihad First Class flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get a pork hedgehog served on an Etihad First Class flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I've taken many pork sausages onto my Etihad flights, they WILL NOT store them in the fridge as they are kept Halal clean and no Haram products are allowed to be stored

Route around Mett, check what the cooler pack regs are in Dusseldorf or Frankfurt airports as they are no longer allowed out of LHR (I've small kids can't keep the milk cold !!)

Freeze it before taking it to the airport to allow it to thaw as you get there, keep the chopped onions to hand !!

A couple of the bars at DUS will let you take a beer closed from experience (not wanting the horrible choice on board), not sure where you are flying from, pray they've a Koelsch (I'm a big fan just brought 150 Litres back to London)

Just ask the chef for a plat and serve yourself, mention the beer and show the closed single bottle of beer and I very much doubt there will be an issue especially if you mention the ONE bottle of beer for a special occasion at the outset, they tend to understand - especially the chefs and especially if you get a european one who essentially is in charge of the F cabin. Do mention it also to the F&B manager in the white coat when they come to talk to you before take off as well

May I suggest packing a paper plate or at least a paper coaster in case sensibilities are offended for the pork

And, if you don't mind me saying, next time don't fly an Islamic airline if you're thinking of pork...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Just read you're travelling via London on the other thread

Dress as you want, you'll only get pointed at, no "rude bits" showing and you're all good

Forget the pork, won't likely transfer through security at a second airport

Best buy packaged Mett with a label and seel by date etc, freeze that then take it and form it on board when defrosted

Don't raise hell in Etihad F - they want quiet and if you aren't they will push you out, they sell it as a haven and the other passengers tend to complain a LOT (as witnessed several times when I was only ordering my blasted meal!!!!)
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Regardless of my personal opinion of the meal and beverage planned to celebrate the day with, I still would like to give credit to OP for a committed approach, and for getting dozens of fellow FTers to educate themselves on many subjects, from inventory of DF shops in German airports over capacity of USB-powered coolers to exotic corners of German food, the latter unknown to many of us.

This is a most entertaining thread. Hope OP has a great journey, with adequate food and drink to celebrate!
blue2002 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by LondonElite
No, it is eaten raw. Google Mettwurst.
Aren't there health hazards in eating raw pork?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Rexy52
Aren't there health hazards in eating raw pork?
Not really. Fresh ingredients are used. Sometimes it is cured. It is delicious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mettwurst
The_Bouncer and EYrevanchist like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: QF WP
I would suggest the primary concern would be pork tapeworms; with fish the practice is to deep freeze it to kill most of the parasites, I don’t have enough experience with pork (or mettwurst) to say whether that would be a biologically sound or culturally acceptable practice though
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:04 am

Red face

Hi Heinz,

Why not take a real Hedgehog on board? Preferably one that's been run over (road kill). Yummy.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by HeinzSchmolke
LOL. That‘s actually the only two requests I have. No Cannabis, no drugs, nothing which could bring me into serious trouble. In Cologne, carnival and ground hedgehog just belongs together. And as we are up in the air that special day, I‘d like to celebrate it as close as possible (of course without cutting ties of other passengers), but for sure I will bring a Kölsch (beer) with me from duty free :-)

True, true :-(

It‘s not really an emotional support hedgehog.

True, true. Seems that I have to look for a different solution. Maybe a halal hedgehog?

Fully agree. But that were the only acceptable days for award availability plus there is a public holiday during that time so we save a precious vacation day. So we thought it would be great fun to celebrate it in a different way this year.

Anyone an idea how to get a halal hedgehog? Is there a kind of concierge service anyone is aware of at Etihad First Class lounge in AUH?
Impossible pork is being developed now. Could Impossible hedgehog be that hard?
nancypants and EYrevanchist like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flight405
Hi Heinz,

Why not take a real Hedgehog on board? Preferably one that's been run over (road kill). Yummy.
Actual hedgehog was my first thought when reading this thread, but then I did a little research, which proved me wrong.

HeinzSchmolke All of us are eagerly awaiting your trip report. Pictures would be awesome, but even words only will make us happy. I really like your outside of the box thinking.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
This has to be my favorite thread of the last year. I really hope, for all our sake but especially Heinz's, that the hedgehog happens.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Blue
I'm impressed that anyone would want to eat raw pork!
EYrevanchist likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chrismk
It grosses out our friends who come from the UK. One is in the catering business and lectures me at length about everything to do with raw pork. Talk to the hand...it is delicious!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Blue
Clearly you've survived so far!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Perhaps it's just cured and not raw?

I remember going to a Vietnamese shop and they were selling package containing small pieces of ground pork (cured but looked raw) with a piece of garlic and chili pepper on top.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:11 pm

Not only a German thing! Discovered in Japan just now. Wasn't brave enough to try it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.