Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

URGENT help - incorrect redemption booking - need to reclaim miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I currently have 160,728 Etihad Guest miles, and wanted to book a return trip to Abu Dhabi (for 2 people) before the Etihad devaluation kicks in next month. Given that I don't have enough miles to book outright, I was going to use the miles and cash option.

I found availability for B777 first class for LHR to AUH (sadly no A380 F or J availability). Rather than use the full 110,406 miles, I chose to use 92950 miles and pay 478.90.

This would leave me with a balance of 67778 miles to use for booking the return leg home on A380 business (AUH to LHR). There was availability on the website, and it said the cost would be 840 AED plus 67777 miles.

I couldn't figure out how to do both in one booking (as 2 separate classes) so I booked the outbound B777 F first. However once I processed my payment I noticed they had actually taken the full 110,406 miles from my account! (despite setting the slider to 92950 miles on the payment page).

When I went to book the A380 F return, I "only" had 50,322 miles left, and thus I could not make the booking as I no longer had 75% of miles remaining.

I called Etihad Customer Services and didn't have much luck. The first 2 agents did not seem to understand my dilemma, and after asking to speak to a supervisor, they both disconnected the phone line! The third agent advised that I email Etihad directly - he said there would likely be a 4000 miles penalty (2000 for each guest), and it could take 21 days for my miles to repost.

I am in a bit of a dilemma as firstly I don't believe I should lose miles for what is likely a computer error. Secondly I am aware that availability for the business return leg may no longer be there in the next few weeks. Thirdly I need to book before the Etihad devaluation.

I would have thought a simple instant refund of my miles (to allow me to make the booking again today) would have been fairly easy - I am sure BA would not have had any issues in sorting it out over the phone.

Do you guys have any advice? I have sent them an email but I know in my experience they could take a few days to reply. I don't want to lose out on these flights!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:53 pm
Company Representative, Etihad

Originally Posted by Flyermo
Hi guys,

I currently have 160,728 Etihad Guest miles, and wanted to book a return trip to Abu Dhabi (for 2 people) before the Etihad devaluation kicks in next month. Given that I don't have enough miles to book outright, I was going to use the miles and cash option.

I found availability for B777 first class for LHR to AUH (sadly no A380 F or J availability). Rather than use the full 110,406 miles, I chose to use 92950 miles and pay 478.90.

This would leave me with a balance of 67778 miles to use for booking the return leg home on A380 business (AUH to LHR). There was availability on the website, and it said the cost would be 840 AED plus 67777 miles.

I couldn't figure out how to do both in one booking (as 2 separate classes) so I booked the outbound B777 F first. However once I processed my payment I noticed they had actually taken the full 110,406 miles from my account! (despite setting the slider to 92950 miles on the payment page).

When I went to book the A380 F return, I "only" had 50,322 miles left, and thus I could not make the booking as I no longer had 75% of miles remaining.

I called Etihad Customer Services and didn't have much luck. The first 2 agents did not seem to understand my dilemma, and after asking to speak to a supervisor, they both disconnected the phone line! The third agent advised that I email Etihad directly - he said there would likely be a 4000 miles penalty (2000 for each guest), and it could take 21 days for my miles to repost.

I am in a bit of a dilemma as firstly I don't believe I should lose miles for what is likely a computer error. Secondly I am aware that availability for the business return leg may no longer be there in the next few weeks. Thirdly I need to book before the Etihad devaluation.

I would have thought a simple instant refund of my miles (to allow me to make the booking again today) would have been fairly easy - I am sure BA would not have had any issues in sorting it out over the phone.

Do you guys have any advice? I have sent them an email but I know in my experience they could take a few days to reply. I don't want to lose out on these flights!

Hi there, could you let us know your booking reference and we will check this for you? Thank you *LK
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EtihadHelp
Hi there, could you let us know your booking reference and we will check this for you? Thank you *LK
I have sent you a PM. Thank you
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:33 am

I did exactly the same on my 1st Etihad redemption, I set the slider but I did not hit the Apply Button.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by easterisland
I did exactly the same on my 1st Etihad redemption, I set the slider but I did not hit the Apply Button.
What was the outcome in your case?

I have sent numerous emails but have not heard back.

Etihadhelp has asked for my number to arrange a call back (although surely they have my details already on my guest account!), or alternatively for me to call customer services, although he/she has clearly not read my original post as I have called 3 times without any success.

Etihad truly has poor customer service when it comes to sorting out any problems!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:46 am

Etihadhelp has asked for my number to arrange a call back (although surely they have my details already on my guest account!), or alternatively for me to call customer services, although he/she has clearly not read my original post as I have called 3 times without any success.

Etihad truly has poor customer service when it comes to sorting out any problems!
I did not try to change it, (head and brick wall)
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:11 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Dear Flyermo,

As we advised by PM, we have had our team look into your issue and please allow us some time to sort it out.

Our reservation team will be in touch with you shortly.

Thank you and Best Regards. *JS
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
On my first redemption I did the same exact thing. I also didn't bother to try to have it fixed as I know that would be almost impossible with Etihad, i.e. Way too complex for anybody at Etihad, that I would be able to get a hold of, to accomplish.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike
On my first redemption I did the same exact thing. I also didn't bother to try to have it fixed as I know that would be almost impossible with Etihad, i.e. Way too complex for anybody at Etihad, that I would be able to get a hold of, to accomplish.
I wish I could do the same, but my problem now is I don't have enough miles to book business return for miles and cash (under 75% of miles)
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:35 pm

I wish I could do the same, but my problem now is I don't have enough miles to book business return for miles and cash (under 75% of miles)
Do you have an American Express Card?

I think you can buy 15000 MR points in a 12 month period, you could then transfer them to EY.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:18 pm

Problem with redemption

Hi

I had exactly the same problem which I could not resolve with the call centre for the reasons you outline.

However Via this forum Etihadhelp asked for my contact details and contacted me that evening. I bought 9000 Amex Reward Points and Mazim from the Callcentre booked the return flight for me.

I hope it works out for you too.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tracy100
Hi

I had exactly the same problem which I could not resolve with the call centre for the reasons you outline.

However Via this forum Etihadhelp asked for my contact details and contacted me that evening. I bought 9000 Amex Reward Points and Mazim from the Callcentre booked the return flight for me.

I hope it works out for you too.
I'm glad it worked for you!
Etihadhelp has PM'd me and has said the situation has been escalated (I have sent 3 separate emails). However I have yet to hear any response and he has advised me to simply be patient.

Did you manage to get a refund of your original booking or did you have to purchase the additional amex reward points? Unfortunately I have recently cancelled my amex gold so this isn't an option for me.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
I almost did the same too.

I believe it's a very regular occurrence.

Not very friendly and intuitive the interface.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:59 am

Etihad problem

I'm glad it worked for you!
Etihadhelp has PM'd me and has said the situation has been escalated (I have sent 3 separate emails). However I have yet to hear any response and he has advised me to simply be patient.

Did you manage to get a refund of your original booking or did you have to purchase the additional amex reward points? Unfortunately I have recently cancelled my amex gold so this isn't an option for me.
Hello again

Yes, I did purchase Amex reward points and that is the way we resolved the issue. However when Mazim called me he did not know at first that I had purchased these and he seemed confident that he would resolve it for me. I was quite abrupt at first having already gone through the issue with the Callcentre twice to no avail but it quickly became apparent that he was determined to resolve this for me.

Good luck.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tracy100
Hello again

Yes, I did purchase Amex reward points and that is the way we resolved the issue. However when Mazim called me he did not know at first that I had purchased these and he seemed confident that he would resolve it for me. I was quite abrupt at first having already gone through the issue with the Callcentre twice to no avail but it quickly became apparent that he was determined to resolve this for me.

Good luck.
Nice, seems like you were lucky!

I still haven't heard any response yet from Etihad despite the situation apparently being escalated. I tried calling the call centre today and they advised I need to wait to hear back via email.

I feel like I am hitting a brick wall. Speaking to their customer services department gets you know where, emailing them gets no response and ironically Etihadhelp is not very helpful either.

Unfortunately Etihad have lost another customer here. Sticking to BA/Emirates after this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.