FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - URGENT help - incorrect redemption booking - need to reclaim miles
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:53 pm
EtihadHelp
Company Representative, Etihad

Originally Posted by Flyermo
Hi guys,

I currently have 160,728 Etihad Guest miles, and wanted to book a return trip to Abu Dhabi (for 2 people) before the Etihad devaluation kicks in next month. Given that I don't have enough miles to book outright, I was going to use the miles and cash option.

I found availability for B777 first class for LHR to AUH (sadly no A380 F or J availability). Rather than use the full 110,406 miles, I chose to use 92950 miles and pay £478.90.

This would leave me with a balance of 67778 miles to use for booking the return leg home on A380 business (AUH to LHR). There was availability on the website, and it said the cost would be 840 AED plus 67777 miles.

I couldn't figure out how to do both in one booking (as 2 separate classes) so I booked the outbound B777 F first. However once I processed my payment I noticed they had actually taken the full 110,406 miles from my account! (despite setting the slider to 92950 miles on the payment page).

When I went to book the A380 F return, I "only" had 50,322 miles left, and thus I could not make the booking as I no longer had 75% of miles remaining.

I called Etihad Customer Services and didn't have much luck. The first 2 agents did not seem to understand my dilemma, and after asking to speak to a supervisor, they both disconnected the phone line! The third agent advised that I email Etihad directly - he said there would likely be a 4000 miles penalty (2000 for each guest), and it could take 21 days for my miles to repost.

I am in a bit of a dilemma as firstly I don't believe I should lose miles for what is likely a computer error. Secondly I am aware that availability for the business return leg may no longer be there in the next few weeks. Thirdly I need to book before the Etihad devaluation.

I would have thought a simple instant refund of my miles (to allow me to make the booking again today) would have been fairly easy - I am sure BA would not have had any issues in sorting it out over the phone.

Do you guys have any advice? I have sent them an email but I know in my experience they could take a few days to reply. I don't want to lose out on these flights!

Hi there, could you let us know your booking reference and we will check this for you? Thank you *LK