Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book awards on EY partner airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Very confused - tried to book EWR-ORD-SFO with Etihad miles and there's availability at the Saver level with AA. EY can see the flights, but quoted me 50k one-way price with EWR-ORD costing 25k and ORD-SFO 25k as separate segments (there's a one-hour layover). That can't be right, can it?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Etihad prices tix segment-by-segment on other carriers, not surprised they do the same for AA.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RustyC
And so my question: Is this just unlucky, or am I wasting my time trying to get flights on AA using EY miles via EY? Have others here had much success?
I've booked AA awards using EY - it takes 45 minutes on call to get it done. Mine was a simple JFK-ZRH ticket. I think your issue may be due to a 1 stop flight that they cannot see it right away. They do add a $1 fare which triggers all sorts of other taxes (I paid $28 instead of $5.6 for one way)
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Just had a great experience calling the Etihad reservations number (877-690-0767). I booked a one-way ANA business award. In total the phone call took 18 minutes, and that was some extra time because the first payment system they tried using didn't work and they had to use a different one.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by Acid
I've booked AA awards using EY - it takes 45 minutes on call to get it done. Mine was a simple JFK-ZRH ticket. I think your issue may be due to a 1 stop flight that they cannot see it right away. They do add a $1 fare which triggers all sorts of other taxes (I paid $28 instead of $5.6 for one way)
Thanks for response. Yick...from ATL on AA everything has to go thru some hub like MIA, DFW or ORD first, so are u saying that unless I want to go to those cities on an award (or from DFW or MIA to SCL non-stop with a positioning flight) it's not likely to work?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by RustyC
Thanks for response. Yick...from ATL on AA everything has to go thru some hub like MIA, DFW or ORD first, so are u saying that unless I want to go to those cities on an award (or from DFW or MIA to SCL non-stop with a positioning flight) it's not likely to work?
Just use a Delta award for the positioning flight. They are cheaper, e.g. 8,500 miles for ATL-MIA and run every 1-2 hrs.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP
Originally Posted by steveholt
Very confused - tried to book EWR-ORD-SFO with Etihad miles and there's availability at the Saver level with AA. EY can see the flights, but quoted me 50k one-way price with EWR-ORD costing 25k and ORD-SFO 25k as separate segments (there's a one-hour layover). That can't be right, can it?

I'm confused. The AA chart on EY website says stopovers are allowed. I see people posting with stop overs on partner airlines that are pricing out one way. Did something change recently?

Do AA awards allow stopovers in the one price or not?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
To the above poster,

you are dealing with the most incompetent call centers of all the frequent flyer programs. Yes you can book a multi segment award, but expect to hang up call again approximately 10 times and to spend a good 5-6 hours on the phone (no I am not joking)

the best agent I ever had his name was Simon and he was from the Manchester call center. In fact you might be better off calling until the Manchester call center answers and ask directly for him.. ymmv

a few few years ago I was trying to book LIM-MIA-NYC. Hour and hours later, ended up just saying F it and booked LIM MIA and bought a cash ticket to NYC. Even though I know from experience that I was once able to book LIM MIA NYC as one award.

oh and, lol, don't even try to book a stopover. Maybe you meant layover. You'll have a hard enough time with that
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Given the vast majority of you are not flying Etihad to earn Etihad Guest miles, and are probably just transferring from AMEX Membership Rewards, why why why why why would you choose to transfer to Etihad Guest over British Airways/Iberia Avios or Cathay Asia Miles if booking on American? WHYYYYYYYYYY
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:08 pm

Hello, everyone! I'm just trying to figure out how this works. I have some thank you points I want to get rid of, since I no longer want to keep the Citi Prestige. I'm going to use ANA as the example. I'm looking at ANA's redemption chart on Etihad's website.

http://www.etihadguest.com/en/spend-...ippon-airways/

I'll use SFO and ICN as the airport examples. This distance between the two is about 5600 miles. If I go by the chart, if I wanted a business class one day ticket, it would be 63k points right? All I would have to do, transfer the points over to Etihad, wait the couple days or whatever it is, then call them and have them look for a flight on ANA for that route? This is my first time trying to use points. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by s0ju; Aug 9, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by ehuang03
I'll use SFO and ICN as the airport examples. This distance between the two is about 5600 miles. If I go by the chart, if I wanted a business class one day ticket, it would be 63k points right?
Distance-based redemption charts are often per segment. ANA would not fly that route in a single segment. You would need to start with an actual route that has ANA award availability, then perhaps check with Etihad how they calculate the required mileage for that route.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Distance-based redemption charts are often per segment. ANA would not fly that route in a single segment. You would need to start with an actual route that has ANA award availability, then perhaps check with Etihad how they calculate the required mileage for that route.
Thanks! For some reason, I thought there was a non stop flight there. It looks like it's actually to Tokyo. So maybe SFO or LAX to Tokyo. I might just head there instead. So that's considered a segment right? It says stopovers are permitted, so if I do want to head to Seoul, would that count as another segment or I should just call and ask?

So based on the flight. It looks like it'll be 6400 miles, so that should be 78000 points I'm assuming. Is the only way to see what ANA awards availability is to sign up for their mileage club? Thanks again and I appreciate your time.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by ehuang03
... It says stopovers are permitted, so if I do want to head to Seoul, would that count as another segment or I should just call and ask?

So based on the flight. It looks like it'll be 6400 miles, so that should be 78000 points I'm assuming. Is the only way to see what ANA awards availability is to sign up for their mileage club? Thanks again and I appreciate your time.
My impression of Etihad agents is that they often have no better understanding than us (travelers) of what the written rules were supposed to mean. But if you give them a specific route that has availability, they have to come up with a price quote in miles and taxes. At that point if you think there's a more favorable way to interpret their own charts, go ahead and make your argument. They might accept it.
You can see ANA award availability either through their own website, or their alliance partners.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Seriously though EY. Get with it. Jet moved over its operation from BRU to AMS months back and yet you have not updated your award chart for Jet flights from AMS and the call centre are unable to price up awards.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Ok so I have an issue with Air Seychelles. Etihad's website states that you can redeem miles to upgrade a MH flight; when I tried calling, the agent told me the table is outdated and that option is no longer offered...? Is it the same when trying to redeem miles for Air Seychelles flights??
chessieman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.