Book awards on EY partner airlines

Reply

Old Jul 27, 17, 11:09 pm
  #376  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,556
Very confused - tried to book EWR-ORD-SFO with Etihad miles and there's availability at the Saver level with AA. EY can see the flights, but quoted me 50k one-way price with EWR-ORD costing 25k and ORD-SFO 25k as separate segments (there's a one-hour layover). That can't be right, can it?
steveholt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 10:00 am
  #377  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: JFK
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 295
Etihad prices tix segment-by-segment on other carriers, not surprised they do the same for AA.
Richard Berg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 4:16 pm
  #378  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: AA PLT, VS Silver, EY Silver
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
And so my question: Is this just unlucky, or am I wasting my time trying to get flights on AA using EY miles via EY? Have others here had much success?
I've booked AA awards using EY - it takes 45 minutes on call to get it done. Mine was a simple JFK-ZRH ticket. I think your issue may be due to a 1 stop flight that they cannot see it right away. They do add a $1 fare which triggers all sorts of other taxes (I paid $28 instead of $5.6 for one way)
Acid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 17, 4:44 pm
  #379  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Salt Lake City
Programs: AS MVP, DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titnmn, IHG IC, Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 1,455
Just had a great experience calling the Etihad reservations number (877-690-0767). I booked a one-way ANA business award. In total the phone call took 18 minutes, and that was some extra time because the first payment system they tried using didn't work and they had to use a different one.
bworrell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 17, 1:01 am
  #380  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Posts: 26,109
Originally Posted by Acid View Post
I've booked AA awards using EY - it takes 45 minutes on call to get it done. Mine was a simple JFK-ZRH ticket. I think your issue may be due to a 1 stop flight that they cannot see it right away. They do add a $1 fare which triggers all sorts of other taxes (I paid $28 instead of $5.6 for one way)
Thanks for response. Yick...from ATL on AA everything has to go thru some hub like MIA, DFW or ORD first, so are u saying that unless I want to go to those cities on an award (or from DFW or MIA to SCL non-stop with a positioning flight) it's not likely to work?
RustyC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 17, 1:41 am
  #381  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,762
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
Thanks for response. Yick...from ATL on AA everything has to go thru some hub like MIA, DFW or ORD first, so are u saying that unless I want to go to those cities on an award (or from DFW or MIA to SCL non-stop with a positioning flight) it's not likely to work?
Just use a Delta award for the positioning flight. They are cheaper, e.g. 8,500 miles for ATL-MIA and run every 1-2 hrs.
MaxVO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 17, 6:05 pm
  #382  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: WN A+/CP
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
Very confused - tried to book EWR-ORD-SFO with Etihad miles and there's availability at the Saver level with AA. EY can see the flights, but quoted me 50k one-way price with EWR-ORD costing 25k and ORD-SFO 25k as separate segments (there's a one-hour layover). That can't be right, can it?

I'm confused. The AA chart on EY website says stopovers are allowed. I see people posting with stop overs on partner airlines that are pricing out one way. Did something change recently?

Do AA awards allow stopovers in the one price or not?
Calboy9903 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 17, 6:57 pm
  #383  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Posts: 3,268
To the above poster,

you are dealing with the most incompetent call centers of all the frequent flyer programs. Yes you can book a multi segment award, but expect to hang up call again approximately 10 times and to spend a good 5-6 hours on the phone (no I am not joking)

the best agent I ever had his name was Simon and he was from the Manchester call center. In fact you might be better off calling until the Manchester call center answers and ask directly for him.. ymmv

a few few years ago I was trying to book LIM-MIA-NYC. Hour and hours later, ended up just saying F it and booked LIM MIA and bought a cash ticket to NYC. Even though I know from experience that I was once able to book LIM MIA NYC as one award.

oh and, lol, don't even try to book a stopover. Maybe you meant layover. You'll have a hard enough time with that
Mauibaby2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 17, 2:32 am
  #384  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,161
Given the vast majority of you are not flying Etihad to earn Etihad Guest miles, and are probably just transferring from AMEX Membership Rewards, why why why why why would you choose to transfer to Etihad Guest over British Airways/Iberia Avios or Cathay Asia Miles if booking on American? WHYYYYYYYYYY
keitherson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 17, 5:08 pm
  #385  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 99
Hello, everyone! I'm just trying to figure out how this works. I have some thank you points I want to get rid of, since I no longer want to keep the Citi Prestige. I'm going to use ANA as the example. I'm looking at ANA's redemption chart on Etihad's website.

http://www.etihadguest.com/en/spend-...ippon-airways/

I'll use SFO and ICN as the airport examples. This distance between the two is about 5600 miles. If I go by the chart, if I wanted a business class one day ticket, it would be 63k points right? All I would have to do, transfer the points over to Etihad, wait the couple days or whatever it is, then call them and have them look for a flight on ANA for that route? This is my first time trying to use points. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ehuang03; Aug 9, 17 at 5:37 pm
ehuang03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 17, 5:54 pm
  #386  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,762
Originally Posted by ehuang03 View Post
I'll use SFO and ICN as the airport examples. This distance between the two is about 5600 miles. If I go by the chart, if I wanted a business class one day ticket, it would be 63k points right?
Distance-based redemption charts are often per segment. ANA would not fly that route in a single segment. You would need to start with an actual route that has ANA award availability, then perhaps check with Etihad how they calculate the required mileage for that route.
MaxVO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 17, 1:40 pm
  #387  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Distance-based redemption charts are often per segment. ANA would not fly that route in a single segment. You would need to start with an actual route that has ANA award availability, then perhaps check with Etihad how they calculate the required mileage for that route.
Thanks! For some reason, I thought there was a non stop flight there. It looks like it's actually to Tokyo. So maybe SFO or LAX to Tokyo. I might just head there instead. So that's considered a segment right? It says stopovers are permitted, so if I do want to head to Seoul, would that count as another segment or I should just call and ask?

So based on the flight. It looks like it'll be 6400 miles, so that should be 78000 points I'm assuming. Is the only way to see what ANA awards availability is to sign up for their mileage club? Thanks again and I appreciate your time.
ehuang03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 17, 2:25 pm
  #388  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,762
Originally Posted by ehuang03 View Post
... It says stopovers are permitted, so if I do want to head to Seoul, would that count as another segment or I should just call and ask?

So based on the flight. It looks like it'll be 6400 miles, so that should be 78000 points I'm assuming. Is the only way to see what ANA awards availability is to sign up for their mileage club? Thanks again and I appreciate your time.
My impression of Etihad agents is that they often have no better understanding than us (travelers) of what the written rules were supposed to mean. But if you give them a specific route that has availability, they have to come up with a price quote in miles and taxes. At that point if you think there's a more favorable way to interpret their own charts, go ahead and make your argument. They might accept it.
You can see ANA award availability either through their own website, or their alliance partners.
MaxVO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 17, 4:39 am
  #389  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,298
Seriously though EY. Get with it. Jet moved over its operation from BRU to AMS months back and yet you have not updated your award chart for Jet flights from AMS and the call centre are unable to price up awards.
onlysuites is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 17, 10:42 am
  #390  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Posts: 2,835
Ok so I have an issue with Air Seychelles. Etihad's website states that you can redeem miles to upgrade a MH flight; when I tried calling, the agent told me the table is outdated and that option is no longer offered...? Is it the same when trying to redeem miles for Air Seychelles flights??
chessieman likes this.
oneworld82 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread