Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:20 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wanderlust_65
Would be interesting to hear more details on this..

Emirates to offer free cover of Covid-19 medical costs for passengers.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronav...for-passengers

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/trans...ence-1.1053542

A little more detail here from the press release.

Emirates customers can travel with confidence as summer approaches, with the ability to claim medical expenses of up to EUR 150,000 and quarantine costs of EUR 100 per day for 14 days, should they be diagnosed with COVID-19 during their travel, while they are away from home.First airline in the world to offer free, global cover for COVID-19 related costs

This cover for COVID-19 related medical expenses and quarantine costs is offered by Emirates free of cost to its customers regardless of class of travel or destination. This cover is immediately effective for customers flying on Emirates until 30 October 2020 (first flight to be completed on or before 30 October 2020). It is valid for 31 days from the moment they fly the first sector of their journey. This means Emirates customers can continue to benefit from the added assurance of this cover, even if they travel onwards to another city after arriving at their Emirates destination.

Customers do not need to register or fill in any forms before they travel, and they are not obligated to utilise this cover provided by Emirates.

Any impacted customer who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 during their travel simply has to contact a dedicated hotline to avail of assistance and cover.

​​​​​​
https://www.emirates.com/english/help/covid19-cover/

Last edited by modularmayhem; Jul 23, 2020 at 4:27 am
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

EUR 150,000 wouldn't get far in the US There was a report of a British (I think) guy who was slapped with a > $1m hospital bill after a particularly nasty bout of Covid-19.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Longton
From Gulf News:

Changes again!

Abu Dhabi: The UAE announced on Thursday that it is now mandatory to conduct a COVID-19 PCR test on everyone arriving through the country's airports, including citizens, residents, tourists and transit passengers, regardless of the country they are flying in from.

The PCR tests will be implemented, starting August 1, at all UAE airports.

The National Authority for Emergency and Crisis and Disaster Management and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation confirmed that all UAE residents traveling to the European Union, Britain and any other countries that require a COVID-19 PCR test, have to take the test before they board the plane.
I don't know how transit passengers can have the test and get the results unless they have a very long transit. May be they have the test without results.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:52 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Longton
I don't know how transit passengers can have the test and get the results unless they have a very long transit. May be they have the test without results.
Yes, the requirement for transit passengers to be tested is the most confusing aspect of this new rule. But maybe in combination with the ffee global Covid19 insurance it makes sense?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Yes, the requirement for transit passengers to be tested is the most confusing aspect of this new rule. But maybe in combination with the ffee global Covid19 insurance it makes sense?

Landed in DXB and had the PCR test at DXB airport. Test results can be obtained through DHA website as stated in my previous post.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
I just had a notification pop up from the EK mobile app. The notification said they (presumably EK) are now offering free global COVID-19 insurance cover. But when I clicked through to read more, it just took me to the generic landing page on the app and I couldn’t find anything more on it.

Anyone else seen it?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican
I just had a notification pop up from the EK mobile app. The notification said they (presumably EK) are now offering free global COVID-19 insurance cover. But when I clicked through to read more, it just took me to the generic landing page on the app and I couldn’t find anything more on it.

Anyone else seen it?
I don't have the details, but it's also in the press: https://gulfnews.com/uae/emirates-to...ses-1.72753716 and see discussion above.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage
I don't have the details, but it's also in the press: https://gulfnews.com/uae/emirates-to...ses-1.72753716 and see discussion above.
Ta, and apologies; I missed the references to it above.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
The Dubai Health Authority website does not make it easy to find your test results. Here's the direct link to the page:

https://purehealth.ae/cvdscr/
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Alaska Miles Redemption

Anyone know if the new rule applies to AS award redemption? Their rules contradicts each other..
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:20 pm

So I found the T&C's for the Global Travel Insurance - Seems to only be valid for 3 months and probably to kickstart global travel as while global gates are opening probably not enougth demand in the next 3 months where a second wave is due to start.

T&C's https://c.ekstatic.net/ecl/documents...conditions.pdf
Main Points -
- So when your ill as soon as docs say you can fly back or the claims managment company think you can return you must repatriate or they will cease cover
- Only covers quaruntine where a positive test, not general quaruntine on arrival
- If you do become ill and then repatriate you can only travel Eco and original tickets are are taken over regardless of class of travel
- Trips limited to 31 days from first depature
- Testing costs not covered
- Must contact the claims company anything you pay cant be claimed
**If your home country does not permit travel to a country or asks you to avoid which the UK FCO does for most of asia, the cover does not apply**
Therefore I think its more a marketing thing with limited application so it looks good, a little like when EK started DXB covid testing for a few flights and then seemed to drop the idea
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:47 pm

I believe if you travel against Government advice (eg UK) the insurance is invalid. If so, a great PR stunt.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: JAL ANA
On Emirates home page it now says this:

From 1 August 2020 all passengers travelling to Dubai, including passengers connecting in Dubai, must have a negative COVID-19 test certificate. The test must be taken a maximum of 96 hours before departure. This excludes children under the age of 12 and passengers who have a moderate or severe disability.

We plan to travel out of Japan on the 4th, but I don't have confidence in scraping together a certificate in English in such a short time.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by VAAGE
On Emirates home page it now says this:

From 1 August 2020 all passengers travelling to Dubai, including passengers connecting in Dubai, must have a negative COVID-19 test certificate. The test must be taken a maximum of 96 hours before departure. This excludes children under the age of 12 and passengers who have a moderate or severe disability.

We plan to travel out of Japan on the 4th, but I don't have confidence in scraping together a certificate in English in such a short time.
The guidance is a bit confusing.

First it says this:
  • All other passengers can take a COVID-19 PCR test 96 hours before their flight and carry their printed negative test certificate with them when they travel.
  • A COVID-19 PCR test is also available on arrival in Dubai, if you haven't taken one in your home country (excluding travellers arriving from the countries above, who must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate to be accepted on the flight).
    • (my note): the "countries listed above" are the "red zone" countries - USA, Brazil, Russia, etc

Then it says this:

From 1 August 2020, COVID-19 PCR tests on arrival will only apply to passengers from the countries listed above.

????
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
The guidance is a bit confusing.

First it says this:
  • All other passengers can take a COVID-19 PCR test 96 hours before their flight and carry their printed negative test certificate with them when they travel.
  • A COVID-19 PCR test is also available on arrival in Dubai, if you haven't taken one in your home country (excluding travellers arriving from the countries above, who must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate to be accepted on the flight).
    • (my note): the "countries listed above" are the "red zone" countries - USA, Brazil, Russia, etc

Then it says this:

From 1 August 2020, COVID-19 PCR tests on arrival will only apply to passengers from the countries listed above.

????
I'd love clarification on this as well. Does this mean that I need to have a COVID test 96 hours before departure even if not coming from a place listed on their website?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.