Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Anyone experience DXB immigration lately? Traveling in a couple of weeks. Will have my PCR test. But it’s an 8pm arrival and wondering I can realistically make a 930 dinner. I can see either it’s super quick with few pax and a quick look at paperwork and right through. Or I can see a massive amount of time even for a few people as every piece of paper is gone over letter by letter and lots of pax not knowing what to do. Flying F if that makes a difference.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by SteveHK
Anyone experience DXB immigration lately? Traveling in a couple of weeks. Will have my PCR test. But it’s an 8pm arrival and wondering I can realistically make a 930 dinner. I can see either it’s super quick with few pax and a quick look at paperwork and right through. Or I can see a massive amount of time even for a few people as every piece of paper is gone over letter by letter and lots of pax not knowing what to do. Flying F if that makes a difference.
I shared my most recent experience above, another one further up this thread - but granted, this was before the new requirement of having a test prior to boarding your flight. I don't see how this will change the arrival experience, though, as you will still need to undergo a test on arrival.

From time perspective, you'll be at your hotel / residence by 9-9:30pm, as this process only adds 5 - 10 min, really, so in that aspect you should be able to. However, you are required to stay in your hotel / apartment until you get the test result, so you can't make the dinner that same day.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
I shared my most recent experience above, another one further up this thread - but granted, this was before the new requirement of having a test prior to boarding your flight. I don't see how this will change the arrival experience, though, as you will still need to undergo a test on arrival.

From time perspective, you'll be at your hotel / residence by 9-9:30pm, as this process only adds 5 - 10 min, really, so in that aspect you should be able to. However, you are required to stay in your hotel / apartment until you get the test result, so you can't make the dinner that same day.
thanks for that info. I thought the pre-flight COVID test replaces the one on arrival. Or is there now two?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SteveHK
thanks for that info. I thought the pre-flight COVID test replaces the one on arrival. Or is there now two?

Travelling to Dubai

• Check if you need a visa here. Depending on your nationality you can get a visa on arrival, or you can apply for your visit visa from Dubai Immigration before you travel.
  • All passengers arriving in Dubai from any destination, including passengers connecting in Dubai, must have a negative COVID-19 test certificate to be accepted on the flight. The test must be taken a maximum of 96 hours before departure. This excludes children under the age of 12 and passengers who have a moderate or severe disability.
  • If the UAE government has specified a designated laboratory in your country of origin, then you must get your certificate from that lab. If it is not specified, please use an accredited lab in your country of departure.
  • You may need to take another COVID-19 PCR test on arrival. If you take a test at the airport, you must remain in your hotel or residence until you receive the test result. If the test result is positive, you will be required to undergo isolation and follow the Dubai Health Authority guidelines. You must also download the COVID-19 – DXB Smart App. iOS - Android
https://www.emirates.com/nl/english/...ling-to-dubai/

This was recently changed for flights with a departure date of August 1, onwards.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they change this again soon so check back a couple of days before your trip.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 1:01 am

Well, this vague statement about the US tests is rather left open to interpretation.

“Certificate must be from a registered practitioner or laboratory”
Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:43 am

I see it as the policy unraveling, they wanted only UAE approved labs now any gov lab however many western labs wont turn around in 92 hours for depature. I say give it a few weeks and they will open policy further.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/dub...n-your-country

Last edited by suley; Aug 1, 2020 at 8:32 am
Old Aug 1, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by Flywiz
I am booked to travel ORD-DXB ON 19 August. It’s a Wednesday​​​​​, so T-96 has a weekend in there. I have been calling every listed lab number in Chicago and so far nobody is able to confirm PCR test results in 96 hours. Most test centres just collect samples and send them to a lab for analysis. These labs are few and far between. Lately test results “in 3-5 days” has changed to “5-7 days” because of backlog.

Called EK and the guy had no answer. He said I wasn’t the only one and there are many calls coming in on this subject. They just don’t know the answer.

Haven’t got a clue how we are going to make this flight!

Update:
Called EK today and it seems 96 hour COVID test is the hot button issue. According to the call centre they have been getting lots of calls re flights from Philippines and USA where test results are not available within 96 hours.

The agent told me they have an internal circular saying that this issue had been raised with Abu Dhabi but the government came back insisting on 96 hour test window. So at the moment the only solution is that EK is changing flight dates without penalty for those who couldn’t manage test results in 96 hours. Wonder how Etihad is faring.

This is a helluva way to travel!
Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by suley
I see it as the policy unraveling, they wanted only UAE approved labs now any gov lab however many western labs wont turn around in 92 hours for depature. I say give it a few weeks and they will open policy further.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/dub...n-your-country

This is the way many countries have been acting since the pandemic started

In April when malls reopened, you were forced to walk through some "sanitization gate" which was the ultimate hygiene theater, and of course wear a mask and gloves
That lasted for 2 weeks, after which you had to wear a mask and gloves
The gloves bit was dropped after a month, and now you just have to wear a mask
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:25 am

Allow different tests

Originally Posted by Flywiz
Update:
Called EK today and it seems 96 hour COVID test is the hot button issue. According to the call centre they have been getting lots of calls re flights from Philippines and USA where test results are not available within 96 hours.

The agent told me they have an internal circular saying that this issue had been raised with Abu Dhabi but the government came back insisting on 96 hour test window. So at the moment the only solution is that EK is changing flight dates without penalty for those who couldn’t manage test results in 96 hours. Wonder how Etihad is faring.

This is a helluva way to travel!
I appreciate you checking. What the heck good is changing the flight dates? If you can't manage 96 hours now, you can't manage it next week and meanwhile, thousands of dollars in prepaid reservations just went down a rat hole.

Especially since it really means 72 hours because sime have to travel almost 12 hours to get to a jumping off point for EK in the US and you have to have this certificate IN HAND, email or text unacceptable.

Now, if they loosen the rules a bit to allow an antigen test, we can make the 96 hours. Do they not realize one can still come down with covid in those 96 hours? It's not like you have special immunity just because of a test.

We are supposed to fly out Sep 2 JFK-DXB-MLE. I've checked every available labs and NOBODY can guarantee a 72 hour turn around. Cant decide if I cancel now or hope EK makes an adjustment
Stephen Harwood likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:12 am

Allowed Tests

Does anyone know if the Abbott ID Now test results are acceptable to EK?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by PattiW
I appreciate you checking. What the heck good is changing the flight dates? If you can't manage 96 hours now, you can't manage it next week and meanwhile, thousands of dollars in prepaid reservations just went down a rat hole.

Especially since it really means 72 hours because sime have to travel almost 12 hours to get to a jumping off point for EK in the US and you have to have this certificate IN HAND, email or text unacceptable.

Now, if they loosen the rules a bit to allow an antigen test, we can make the 96 hours. Do they not realize one can still come down with covid in those 96 hours? It's not like you have special immunity just because of a test.

We are supposed to fly out Sep 2 JFK-DXB-MLE. I've checked every available labs and NOBODY can guarantee a 72 hour turn around. Cant decide if I cancel now or hope EK makes an adjustment
agree you can you can catch this virus anytime within the ridiculous 96hr period, test on arrival by all means and isolate till result but before is ridiculous, they seem to think testing is the answer to this, it is but it needs track and trace is the to control it
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:24 am
Suspended

The test was never to care for crew nor passengers, it was just introduced to make people feel safe and get them to fly again. It's all for show.
thijsseh and LonghornDXB like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:07 am

Who to ask

I know EK didnt come up with the requirement and is struggling to get answers to questions but trying to get ANY info from them is insane. They keep referring back to the announcement on their site like it's the answer to everything.

I just want to know if that stupid Abbott test is acceptable and they dont respond to emails, chat, twitter with anything but that stupid link back to their site.

Anyone know where we can get more detailed answers? Ministry of Health? Call the embassy? Lol.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:05 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
The test was never to care for crew nor passengers, it was just introduced to make people feel safe and get them to fly again. It's all for show.

Exactly this. But the result is that no-one will now connect in DXB unless absolutely unavoidable. And with connecting traffic normally probably being 80% + of all DXB (and DOH) passenger movements this seems like a classic case of shooting yourself in the foot. Unless I’m so dim that something obvious is missing.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:57 pm

I know EK didnt come up with the requirement and is struggling to get answers to questions but trying to get ANY info from them is insane. They keep referring back to the announcement on their site like it's the answer to everything.

I just want to know if that stupid Abbott test is acceptable and they dont respond to emails, chat, twitter with anything but that stupid link back to their site.

Anyone know where we can get more detailed answers? Ministry of Health? Call the embassy? Lol.
EK check-in at you're airport of departure.
If you can somehow contact them.. Station manager/chief is the ideal person... and get written reply with name.. in this case that would seem to be the best. However whatever the reply as we have seen... is subject to change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.