FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Skywards Tier Retention (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/2014425-skywards-tier-retention.html)

KillaPowa Mar 27, 2020 3:40 am

Skywards Tier Retention

Hi All,

Hope you are all well in these strange times.

I was just wondering if EK were planning on any serious measures of helping Skywards member retain their tier status whilst the travel restrictions are in place and whilst it is financially going to be more difficult for people to regularly fly for leisure, and business flight frequency may take a massive hit due to companies and employees reassessing the need to make frequent long haul journey's as well as companies reduced spending?

In typical EK fashion they probably won't do anything aside from the current 20% extra tier miles (I believe) for certain tickets until June.

Has anyone heard anything regarding this? Many thanks.

RK

DYKWIA Mar 27, 2020 3:46 am

Keep your Emirates Skywards tier status with just 80% of your usual travel requirements. You also enjoy 20% more Tier Miles on your trips until 30 June.

Will08 Mar 27, 2020 7:35 am

Garbage if this doesn’t change.

KillaPowa Mar 27, 2020 9:16 am

JUST 80% of your travel? Generous or what?

And how does anyone do 80% of travel for the foreseeable? That's what I meant by the 20% comment.

Other airlines and companies are making allowances already as the writing is on the wall.

lost_in_translation Mar 27, 2020 11:10 am

Agree EK are definitely going to have to rethink this, a 20% bonus isn't much use when all EK flights are suspended.

As much as I like EK generally, Skywards is a p***-poor programme and status is almost worthless to the point I hardly care if I drop status levels, shockingly poor bonus earning rates and no real benefits if you already book premium cabins for status levels that require comparatively more flying than the majority of other airlines.

ft101 Mar 27, 2020 7:28 pm

I posted a few days ago they'd extended my membership by 6 months. I see it varies dependant on renewal date, but a good start.

Skywards Silver, Gold and Platinum members with a tier review date between March 2020 and June 2020 who are unable to retain their existing tier will have their current tier status extended until 30 September 2020.
https://www.emirates.com/english/help/covid-19/

KillaPowa Mar 31, 2020 2:35 am

I think they will need to review the entire programme as it will be very dark times for all airlines and competition will be fiercer than ever. People and companies will re-evaluate the frequency of travel v risk from now on, not to mention financially they will be a lot more careful. Let's see what happens.

Wanderlust_65 Apr 2, 2020 4:50 am

Gulf News today:

Emirates airline on Thursday announced that it is offering support to all its members, assuring that Skywards Miles due to expire soon will be automatically extended until the end of 2020.

https://gulfnews.com/uae/covid-19-em....1585819931064

xavzz Apr 2, 2020 5:13 am

An email I just received:

Retaining tier statusEmirates Skywards Silver, Gold and Platinum members with a tier review date prior to 1 March 2021 will retain their current status for a further 12 months with just 80% of the usual travel requirements.
Extending tier statusEmirates Skywards Silver, Gold and Platinum members, with a tier status review between March 2020 and September 2020 who are unable to retain their existing tier, will have their existing status extended until 31 December 2020.
Extending Miles validityThose members who have Skywards Miles expiring soon needn’t worry – we’ve has extended their validity until 31 December 2020. Skywards Miles can be redeemed up to 11 months in advance for an extensive range of rewards, including flight tickets on Emirates and partner airlines, flight upgrades, hotel stays, and money-can’t-buy experiences..

Please note: Details of this relaxed policy may not immediately reflect in the ‘My Account’ section of emirates.com

asalmane Apr 2, 2020 9:16 am

Originally Posted by xavzz (Post 32256750)

Retaining tier statusEmirates Skywards Silver, Gold and Platinum members with a tier review date prior to 1 March 2021 will retain their current status for a further 12 months with just 80% of the usual travel requirements.
Extending tier statusEmirates Skywards Silver, Gold and Platinum members, with a tier status review between March 2020 and September 2020 who are unable to retain their existing tier, will have their existing status extended until 31 December 2020.
Extending Miles validityThose members who have Skywards Miles expiring soon needn’t worry – we’ve has extended their validity until 31 December 2020. Skywards Miles can be redeemed up to 11 months in advance for an extensive range of rewards, including flight tickets on Emirates and partner airlines, flight upgrades, hotel stays, and money-can’t-buy experiences..

Please note: Details of this relaxed policy may not immediately reflect in the ‘My Account’ section of emirates.com

This is rubbish, They seem to be among the very few stingy airlines that keep this stup.... policy of counting the cents and pieces. How on earth are people gonna be able to keep any status at all when flights have been suspended and will be suspended till at least June? Obviously business isn't going to resume from one day to another, nor will people be in a position to spend money on leisure travel to keep status?

After the flight suspensions are over, it's gonna be summer, which is "low season" for business anyway, so at best, in my case at least, business will resume in september, which gives me literally 1 months to have the insane number of miles required to qualify (my review date is sometime in October). or do they expect us to fly back to back?

Skywards miles are already worthless, and these sort of policies they have having (in addition to the upgrade on basis of fare paid) are gonna drive people away to competition. as simple as that.

Pure madness.

thijsseh Apr 2, 2020 9:23 am

Originally Posted by xavzz (Post 32256750)

Just got that email as well. I am currently in the 2 month 'grace period' before falling back to Silver (oh, the shame..;).). The email says I'm Gold. But I guess its expecting too much to have that type of Gold protected. I would have qualified again in June on the 13 month rule but that's not going to happen, even if they fly again by then, my travel requirements have changed.

redeternet7 Apr 2, 2020 9:42 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 32257428)
Just got that email as well. I am currently in the 2 month 'grace period' before falling back to Silver (oh, the shame..;).). The email says I'm Gold. But I guess its expecting too much to have that type of Gold protected. I would have qualified again in June on the 13 month rule but that's not going to happen, even if they fly again by then, my travel requirements have changed.

when will the my account dashboard update
my friend silver expires in may 2020 but doesnt say dec 2020 yet as per todays email

xavzz Apr 2, 2020 1:10 pm

I am Silver, and my status was meant to expire in end of Feb and I am 1000 miles away from re-qualifying which I dont think I care anymore lol. However I did receive a email around that time saying they will extend it to April for me so an extra 2 months. EK Skywards is pretty dead anyway however it was nice achieving something for once lol.

ft101 Apr 2, 2020 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 32257428)
Just got that email as well. I am currently in the 2 month 'grace period' before falling back to Silver (oh, the shame..;).). The email says I'm Gold.

Your email says Gold because of the initial extension mentioned in post 6, I expect. I'm the same, so December seems even better.

maisondubonheur Apr 2, 2020 11:36 pm

I'm trying to understand....ok, you need 80% of miles to re-qualify...but there is basically no flying in March, April, May for most....that's already 25% of the year gone...this if we consider we all rush back on planes on the first one flying....if we are even allowed to fly and cross borders!

What I don't understand is that to me it reads like...80% to re-qualify....which we won't...but than we extend your benefits for 6 months?!?

Why not simply give an extra 6 months to everybody to re-qualify (to be extended if needed)? Or simply extend current benefits by one year?

The competition will indeed be fierce once the skies re-open...isn't what they do the best way to send frequent flyers to the competition?

There is for sure something I don't understand here!