FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Skywards Tier Retention (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/2014425-skywards-tier-retention.html)

KillaPowa Apr 15, 2020 4:42 am

Nothing for me! Still showing it will expire in June. Oh well. I'll be choosing airlines on cost and desirability now. Will be nice to have a bit of a change.

ft101 Apr 15, 2020 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by KillaPowa (Post 32294955)
Nothing for me! Still showing it will expire in June. Oh well. I'll be choosing airlines on cost and desirability now. Will be nice to have a bit of a change.

It's only half way through April so you still have time to requalify, which is a better option than the current offer.

Emirates Skywards Silver, Gold and Platinum members, with a tier status review between March 2020 and September 2020 who are unable to retain their existing tier, will have their existing status extended until 31 December 2020.

FlyingDobber Apr 15, 2020 11:43 pm

I am silver and would have achieved Gold by . I needed 10 flights by July, easily achieved with at least 1 return flight per week (DXB-MCT) or 24200 miles (not easily achieved! on the DXB-MCT sector).
However, with the current state of play I wont be able to achieve Gold my silver requalification was until 31st 2020 so I have time but I was anticipating Gold until they stopped the flights.

Will I be given an extension or have I lost this chance? If so i guess I will keep silver for time being but will ensure that my *G is requalified first before EK.

sealsgod Apr 16, 2020 1:46 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDobber (Post 32297598)
I am silver and would have achieved Gold by . I needed 10 flights by July, easily achieved with at least 1 return flight per week (DXB-MCT) or 24200 miles (not easily achieved! on the DXB-MCT sector).
However, with the current state of play I wont be able to achieve Gold my silver requalification was until 31st 2020 so I have time but I was anticipating Gold until they stopped the flights.

Will I be given an extension or have I lost this chance? If so i guess I will keep silver for time being but will ensure that my *G is requalified first before EK.

it seems like will be lose your chance, they just frozen for any downgrade action but the tire will still expire on June.

KillaPowa Apr 16, 2020 3:46 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 32297275)
It's only half way through April so you still have time to requalify, which is a better option than the current offer.

Ridiculous comment - I've missed the two trips I would have taken, therefore it should be at least extended by the months missed, plus they should bear in mind they will never totally recover from this and such frequent flying for MOST will become a thing of the past...

But then that would be admitting to a problem, which is something not common in certain mindsets.

ft101 Apr 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by KillaPowa (Post 32297929)
Ridiculous comment - I've missed the two trips I would have taken, therefore it should be at least extended by the months missed, plus they should bear in mind they will never totally recover from this and such frequent flying for MOST will become a thing of the past...

But then that would be admitting to a problem, which is something not common in certain mindsets.

My post does sound bad I admit, but that's because I missed a bit out. :)

I meant to add that should you not qualify by the end of June, I'm sure the current policy will be extended and you will find yourself with a free extension going well into next year.

I think they've probably got more urgent priorities than a frequent flyer program, especially a not very good one.

KillaPowa Apr 17, 2020 2:11 am

Thanks for clarifying ft101! I did think it seemed a little blunt! Apologies for my curt response.

Yes I'm sure they have, scary times indeed. I'm sure they will fair better than a lot of others too.

However it will be cut throat after this. Money will be tighter for everyone, and there WILL be a major rethink into the necessity of frequent business travel after it has been proven it is not as essential as it once seemed, which will have been proven in recent weeks. Companies on the whole will have to tighten their belts, fact.

Leisure travel may have a slight surge very much initially, however many people who have lost jobs, taken pay cuts, lost a fortune on assets and investments, and re-assessed the risks of frequent foreign travel, I'm adamant that will suffer too. So airlines will once again have to look to entice new and old custom in many ways, especially loyalty schemes and USP's.

lost_in_translation May 2, 2020 5:14 am

So with over a month of further complete shutdown since EK's previous Skywards policy was announced and it becoming increasingly clear just how slow the recovery in traffic will be, one would think they might be looking to do something more for Skywards members than the previous policy by now. My current situation below just to illustrate the ridiculous effect of EK's current policy.

I started using EK last year, moving some of my flights that were previously with QR to EK (QR Plat for several years now, alongside various other statuses). Had to start from scratch with Skywards and I'm currently stopped on Silver with a 31 May status year-end. Did quite a few flights as cash + miles bookings so didn't earn a lot of tier miles for them given the way EK treats earnings on those. I'm well within 20% of Gold and had enough flying planned before the end of May to make Platinum (>50% of my flying happens in April and May, hence why my first EK flight was then and my year end is now set as then). However, because of the slightly stupid way Skywards works, I'm a lot closer to earning Gold than I am to retaining Silver this year and sit at just under 80% of what I need to retain Silver. So instead of being Platinum at the end of May, I'll have earnt ... Blue.

Meanwhile, QR is bending over backwards to offer extensions to everyone and also being flexible on cancellations whilst EK is trying to charge fees on flights they cancelled...

Wanderlust_65 May 2, 2020 8:52 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 32342710)
So with over a month of further complete shutdown since EK's previous Skywards policy was announced and it becoming increasingly clear just how slow the recovery in traffic will be, one would think they might be looking to do something more for Skywards members than the previous policy by now. My current situation below just to illustrate the ridiculous effect of EK's current policy.

I started using EK last year, moving some of my flights that were previously with QR to EK (QR Plat for several years now, alongside various other statuses). Had to start from scratch with Skywards and I'm currently stopped on Silver with a 31 May status year-end. Did quite a few flights as cash + miles bookings so didn't earn a lot of tier miles for them given the way EK treats earnings on those. I'm well within 20% of Gold and had enough flying planned before the end of May to make Platinum (>50% of my flying happens in April and May, hence why my first EK flight was then and my year end is now set as then). However, because of the slightly stupid way Skywards works, I'm a lot closer to earning Gold than I am to retaining Silver this year and sit at just under 80% of what I need to retain Silver. So instead of being Platinum at the end of May, I'll have earnt ... Blue.

Meanwhile, QR is bending over backwards to offer extensions to everyone and also being flexible on cancellations whilst EK is trying to charge fees on flights they cancelled...

Agree Skywards is not the greatest FFP out there but neither are others, such as *Alliance (had my fair share of frustration with LH & LX), or come to think of it, did not QR’s Privilege Club do a big Award Chart Devaluation without any notice 12 months ago?

https://onemileatatime.com/qatar-air...b-devaluation/

Compared to some other carriers (LH, LX or US3 etc.), EK actually is paying full refunds:
https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...ds-capability/

Reading the refund posts on QR not all is there perfect either.

Will08 May 2, 2020 9:41 am

If it makes you feel any better the experience of Plat is not much different to Gold. My bags missed just as many connections (if not more) whilst I have been plat, when my bags did arrive, at best they would arrive with J luggage but at times would come out with Y luggage even though you are supposed to get priority - it has actually become a running joke with my mrs not to bother putting red tags on our bags. Some pursers would still speak to you like it is your first time flying, for eg - 'If you want to upgrade with miles you need to have enough in your account' (in a condescending tone), Denied boarding twice, when flying Y being told "if you need anything let me know" means absolutely nothing. Even Op-ups, I got just as many as Gold as I have as plat but obviously there are a lot of factors in plat for that.

For me, the whole flying experience is solely down to the purser and the crew. When you get a good crew they will be great whether you are plat or gold or I guess no status, whereas if you get a poor crew, your status is irrelevant from the moment you receive your on board welcome.

iFlyMoreThanYou May 2, 2020 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Will08 (Post 32343191)
If it makes you feel any better the experience of Plat is not much different to Gold. My bags missed just as many connections (if not more) whilst I have been plat, when my bags did arrive, at best they would arrive with J luggage but at times would come out with Y luggage even though you are supposed to get priority - it has actually become a running joke with my mrs not to bother putting red tags on our bags. Some pursers would still speak to you like it is your first time flying, for eg - 'If you want to upgrade with miles you need to have enough in your account' (in a condescending tone), Denied boarding twice, when flying Y being told "if you need anything let me know" means absolutely nothing. Even Op-ups, I got just as many as Gold as I have as plat but obviously there are a lot of factors in plat for that.

For me, the whole flying experience is solely down to the purser and the crew. When you get a good crew they will be great whether you are plat or gold or I guess no status, whereas if you get a poor crew, your status is irrelevant from the moment you receive your on board welcome.

Completely agree. I have had my luggage arrive from the last container before, after all Y bags. It really has become a joke. For me, the only benefit I value as Plat is on top of the upgrade list as my travel for work is all in Y. And while the lounge is nicer than the J lounge at dxb, I rarely have time because I prefer to arrive very late to the airport.

You really wont miss much if you dont get to plat, especially if u are already flying J.

S.R May 2, 2020 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou (Post 32343241)
Completely agree. I have had my luggage arrive from the last container before, after all Y bags. It really has become a joke. For me, the only benefit I value as Plat is on top of the upgrade list as my travel for work is all in Y. And while the lounge is nicer than the J lounge at dxb, I rarely have time because I prefer to arrive very late to the airport.

You really wont miss much if you dont get to plat, especially if u are already flying J.

One slight benefit of Plat is if you're in A380 F on an elite heavy route, the first choice for shower slot is beneficial since the ones close to landing do fill up. But you're right, EK doesn't make it very exciting to reach Plat if you're already in F or J. I think EK Plat is one of those tiers that isn't very aspirational, ie you don't try to fly more to reach it. You just end up getting it because you have to fly that much.
I would like to be iO though :D

ft101 May 2, 2020 6:42 pm

So instead of being Platinum at the end of May, I'll have earnt ... Blue.

You'll retain Silver at least until the end of the year I think

Emirates Skywards Silver, Gold and Platinum members, with a tier status review between March 2020 and September 2020 who are unable to retain their existing tier, will have their existing status extended until 31 December 2020.

iFlyMoreThanYou May 2, 2020 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by S.R (Post 32344101)
One slight benefit of Plat is if you're in A380 F on an elite heavy route, the first choice for shower slot is beneficial since the ones close to landing do fill up. But you're right, EK doesn't make it very exciting to reach Plat if you're already in F or J. I think EK Plat is one of those tiers that isn't very aspirational, ie you don't try to fly more to reach it. You just end up getting it because you have to fly that much.

This indeed is an excellent point. I forgot about this as I'm usually at the main deck!

Another small benefit which I do enjoy: S class CDD/CDA in DXB, even when travelling in J. That small headrest pillow is amazing!

And just to add to Will08's point on crew: status doesn't really matter. It really depends if you or someone you know, knows the crew on your flight. I've had J class meals in Y when I was in blue, while being rejected a bottle of water as a plat...

m3red May 2, 2020 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by S.R (Post 32344101)

they don’t even do this consistently