Getting charged for a stopover

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: EK Gold
Thank you for a quick response.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Not sure why the call centre wouldn't want to give it to you, but on your e-ticket if you see the fare consteuconstand the fare basis (I think it's 8 digits) the 1st letter is usually the booking class, e.g. KLXPSSZA (made it up, but that's roughly what it would look like .That's booking code K, a Y Flex fare)
Not sure why, but have been refused by call centre agent the few times I have tried. Once I asked at the EK ticketing agent at their Beach Centre (?) location in Dubai but same answer.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Flywiz

Not sure why, but have been refused by call centre agent the few times I have tried. Once I asked at the EK ticketing agent at their Beach Centre (?) location in Dubai but same answer.
I've never been refused and have asked many times.
In ticketing office you can ask to see the screen and you will see the letter (booking class) , you can also ask for a print out of "short reservation" which will also show letter after flight no.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Alisonnoonan
I have an interesting update. I called my credit card company today to ask about this situation.
On 4 separate phone calls Emirates had refused to change my flight unless I paid the unfair stopover fee. They had told me that flights were available within my fare class. Despite the fact they eventually wavered this unfair charge I was told incorrect information and the delay ended up in my chosen flights selling out and me having to travel a day earlier. My credit card provider has recommended me to dispute the cost of the whole flight. They were in breach of contract in what they did.
First off I have to ask Emirates for a refund. If they refuse my credit card provider will open a dispute.
I am going to follow this advice.
Would be interested to know if your credit card company can get the chargeback. Keep us posted. I doubt you will get anything from Emirates directly, but it is a process you must follow as you say.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
I've never been refused and have asked many times.
In ticketing office you can ask to see the screen and you will see the letter (booking class) , you can also ask for a print out of "short reservation" which will also show letter after flight no.
Hmm... I must persevere more. I have asked once to see the screen and the very nice lady politely declined
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Would be interested to know if your credit card company can get the chargeback. Keep us posted. I doubt you will get anything from Emirates directly, but it is a process you must follow as you say.
HI, An update at last. Sorry for the delay!
I contacted Emirates and they credited with 15000 airmails as a gesture of goodwill. I would rather not have had the inconvenience in the first place, but I felt this gesture was reasonably appropriate and so I decided not to pursue through the credit card company.
If the same thing happened again for sure I know how I would handle it though. If a flight needs to be changed urgently (when your new travel date is 3 days away then it is pretty urgent!) then agree to "pay under protest" so that you get your flight sorted but retain your legal rights.
Having spoken with the credit card company they felt this was a breach of contract and would have been happy to open the claim even after Emirates eventually "waivered" the stopover fee.
Honestly it is the first time I had a problem changing a flight with Emirates. Usually the process is smooth, but to have 4 different agents all give the same wrong info and refuse to help is beyond frustrating. It really shouldn't have happened, but they have said they are looking into it so I can't really ask for more. At least they have acknowledged the fault and done something to show concern. Mistakes can happen.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Your message is condescending even if you don't mean to be disrespectful, but usually people who start a comment with "without being disrespectful" think it gives them licence to then be disrespectful.

The terms were clear. That is the issue. My T&Cs said "a free stopover is permitted in each direction". That was a condition of sale, I understand it was subject to availability. However there was availability. I'm not "alleging" availability. EK agents told me there WAS availability. Now if that disappeared even while on the phone yes I understand that would have been my problem. Availability is not guaranteed. However the issue is not that availability disappeared while on the phone, but that they wanted to enforce a charge contrary to the T&Cs of my ticket.

Your last sentence I believe is correct. I would have had a valid claim for the excess paid. I made a mistake in not "paying under protest" during the first call. I would have avoided the aggravation and also there is little doubt I would have won this dispute. My claim would not necessarily have been limited to the excess paid.

Anyway Emirates themselves have understood and resolved the situation to my satisfaction now.
They credited me airmiles as a gesture of goodwill and are looking into their system to try to understand why it happened because they agree it shouldn't have done.
I'm not pursuing things with my credit card because I feel I have been listened to and the situation has received an appropriate response.

I'm not sure why so many people are trying to put me down for coming onto a flights forum asking for help with a legitimate problem.
Better not to assume the worst in people or to be condescending. I'm not out to rip off an airline, but I do expect fair treatment in any business transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.