Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Why isn't Emirates rated a five star airline on Skytrax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why isn't Emirates rated a five star airline on Skytrax?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
If we're talking about substantive reasons why EK might not be a 5-star, then I would say that having angled flat on a significant proportion of their fleet must surely count as a pretty big reason in this day and age. All of QR and EY's long-haul fleet are fitted with fully flat.

Whilst service in F has been generally decent, I have also found service in J to be distinctly unimpressive.
The angled flat thing is a branding issue, there's no less comfort because the 77W J seats go to 170 instead of 180 degrees. In fact, arguably, this is better, as a 777 usually cruises at a 5-10 degree nose-up attitude, thus a 180 degree flat seat would mean your feet are above your heard, possibly uncomfortably so.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
With QR and EY there is high inconsistency in the product and many cities are served in J with recliner seats.
No chauffeur either along with inferior wine lists on both.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It's not so much the angled flat seats (the angle is hardly noticeable IMO), it's having 7 across seating in J that seems like a decade behind the times.
Forgot about the 7-across too - definitely not 5-star.
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
The angled flat thing is a branding issue, there's no less comfort because the 77W J seats go to 170 instead of 180 degrees. In fact, arguably, this is better, as a 777 usually cruises at a 5-10 degree nose-up attitude, thus a 180 degree flat seat would mean your feet are above your heard, possibly uncomfortably so.
5-10 degree nose-up at cruise? As far as I'm aware, it's more like 2 degrees, and the angle is certainly not "no less comfort", unless you enjoy having your beds at home at an angle.

For a fully flat seat, there is always the option of very slightly raising the backrest to counteract the slight nose-up pitch if it is noticeable. It will never be as much as the angle of the 777 seat, however.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
As far as I'm aware, it's more like 2 degrees
That's what I thought, 2-3 deg.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by XXTSGR

That's what I thought, 2-3 deg.

In fact, the take-off angle is generally 5-15 degrees, according to Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeof...zontal_takeoff

The A380 in particular seems to take off at such a shallow angle that I'm frequently wondering whether we are, in fact, climbing.

Last edited by stargold; Feb 20, 2018 at 3:28 am
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:12 am

Forgot about the 7-across too - definitely not 5-star.5-10 degree nose-up at cruise? As far as I'm aware, it's more like 2 degrees, and the angle is certainly not "no less comfort", unless you enjoy having your beds at home at an angle.

For a fully flat seat, there is always the option of very slightly raising the backrest to counteract the slight nose-up pitch if it is noticeable. It will never be as much as the angle of the 777 seat, however.
You're right, it's more like 2-3 degrees on the fuselage, which achieves the most efficient angle of attack on the wing. Either way, I agree the 7-abreast is a issue but the "angled" lie-flat has never bothered me
XXTSGR likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Interesting conversation - all airlines have faults but what is missing is exactly what objective measures SkyTrax use to pass judgement and how they weight the factors and unfortunately they fail to tell us. For a long while (and for all I know still do) Etihad premium passengers transferring at Abu Dhabi were forced to queue for security with economy passengers as there was no separate queue for the premium scanners (yes they had scanners for premium passengers just not a separate queue). In addition unless you went to board early again there was usually no premium priority and the 777s all used one entrance for everyone even though at Manchester and Bangkok both doors were used for boarding and exit. Somehow though they get 5 stars.

I wonder if 1-2-1 or 2-2-2 in business is a criteria but I must say that as a customer I would look for 1-2-1 if it is practical.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
Interesting conversation - all airlines have faults but what is missing is exactly what objective measures SkyTrax use to pass judgement and how they weight the factors and unfortunately they fail to tell us. For a long while (and for all I know still do) Etihad premium passengers transferring at Abu Dhabi were forced to queue for security with economy passengers as there was no separate queue for the premium scanners (yes they had scanners for premium passengers just not a separate queue). In addition unless you went to board early again there was usually no premium priority and the 777s all used one entrance for everyone even though at Manchester and Bangkok both doors were used for boarding and exit. Somehow though they get 5 stars.

I wonder if 1-2-1 or 2-2-2 in business is a criteria but I must say that as a customer I would look for 1-2-1 if it is practical.
More than 1-2-1 or 2-2-2 etc I think what matters is direct aisle access. 2-2-2 can offer direct aisle access, I think it's the Apex suites? EK on the A380 has something similar (but not quite as they're still separate rows), I'm perfectly happy with that vs 1-2-1 as the entire point of 1-2-1 is to have direct aisle access, as long as a 2-2-2 offers that and enough personal space and privacy... so it's also up to the "soft" factors as to perceived space and comfort, and that'll have to be scored by a human in their subjective view

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.