Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The EK Wine Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by batmandds
I was looking up the wine list for my F flight from DXB-JFK later this month. The red wine listing was a bit overwhelming. Nothing looked even close to the Margaux they had earlier this year or even any of the reds from last year. The wines seem much better to LAX and SFO. How accurate are the wine lists on EK's website?
with the exception of flying pig above, they are usually spot on with a few lesser additions once onboard.

Agree with the JFK route though, the wines they serve on that route compared to SIN/CDG/LHR have always been a bit "lesser" in my experience
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Dom is Moet
...and Ferrari is Fiat Chrysler
thijsseh likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:54 pm

Looks like their main bordeaux in F this month is Clos du Marquis. Why bother with first growth and now second wine of second growth?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: Skywards
I am about to fly from HKG to LHR in first and below are the wine lists for each flight, I don't have much experience with wines so was wondering if any of the below particularly stand out to any of you:

EK383:
White
Meursault 1er Cru Ch teau de Blagny Louis Latour 2014
Y d'Yquem 2016
Giaconda Estate Vineyard Chardonnay
Grosset Springvale Riesling 2017

Red
Cháteau Pontet Canet 2006
Ch teau Olivier Pessac-Léognan 2009
Domaine des Monts Luisants Morey-Saint-Denis 1er Cru 2011
M. Chapoutier Domaine Tournon Shay's Flat Shiraz 2014
Savaterre Shiraz 2013

EK31:
White
Ch teau Tronquoy Lalande blanc 2014
Paul Jaboulet Ainé, Chevalier de Sterimberg Hermitage blanc 2014
Antinori Family Antica Chardonnay 2016
Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2017
Paul Hobbs Edward James Chardonnay 2013

Red
Baron de Brane 2009
Clos du Marquis 2005
Concha y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
PharaohMoans Syrah 2015
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
I'd be happy with a glass of most of those wines (I have probably tried about 60% of them - not all on an aircraft and not necessarily from the same vintage). However I'm not sure my views on what are the stand out wines are relevant to you and your taste. One of the great things about EK F is that they will usually be very happy to present you with a choice of 2 or 3 wines to try to ensure you make an informed choice!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by EK17
I am about to fly from HKG to LHR in first and below are the wine lists for each flight, I don't have much experience with wines so was wondering if any of the below particularly stand out to any of you:

EK383:
White
Meursault 1er Cru Ch teau de Blagny Louis Latour 2014
Y d'Yquem 2016
Giaconda Estate Vineyard Chardonnay
Grosset Springvale Riesling 2017

Red
Cháteau Pontet Canet 2006
Ch teau Olivier Pessac-Léognan 2009
Domaine des Monts Luisants Morey-Saint-Denis 1er Cru 2011
M. Chapoutier Domaine Tournon Shay's Flat Shiraz 2014
Savaterre Shiraz 2013

EK31:
White
Ch teau Tronquoy Lalande blanc 2014
Paul Jaboulet Ainé, Chevalier de Sterimberg Hermitage blanc 2014
Antinori Family Antica Chardonnay 2016
Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2017
Paul Hobbs Edward James Chardonnay 2013

Red
Baron de Brane 2009
Clos du Marquis 2005
Concha y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
PharaohMoans Syrah 2015
My choices in order

Pontet canet 06 - big wine - needs to be decanted (they all do)

i like the pharaohmoans I buy the 2013 one a fair bit (2015 is a bit young IMO)

clos du marquis - typical st Julian still a very nice wine

Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:34 am

For the cognac lovers, Hennessy Paradis Imperial is making an appearance on selected routes (the bottle is carried in its rather impactful box). A very impressive drop.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: QF, CX, BA
Any idea which routes this will feature on?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
I had a few glasses on yesterday's flight 201 DXB-JFK.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Opus One '07 LAX-DXB in F in a few weeks, along with Veuve Cliquot Extra Brut Extra Old in J.

Looking forward to it... 2007 was such a good year for Napa. Most of my '07 is gone save a few here and there.

Any tips on getting cabin crew to open a bottle to breathe pre-takeoff? I know they're less likely to do it these days.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:49 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Opus One '07 LAX-DXB in F in a few weeks, along with Veuve Cliquot Extra Brut Extra Old in J.

Looking forward to it... 2007 was such a good year for Napa. Most of my '07 is gone save a few here and there.

Any tips on getting cabin crew to open a bottle to breathe pre-takeoff? I know they're less likely to do it these days.
Mentioning to the purser as soon as you get on helps, even if it comes across a bit over keen. I had a great guy recently who opened pre take off then decanted at causing, I had it with my main course.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold

opus needs 2 hours decanted - well jealous!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR

My profile includes preferences regarding specific (types/regions of) wines and that I like mine to be decanted. Proactive FA on my last flight told me he had already opened and decanted one for me when he delivered the PJs etc and enquirer whether I'd like a carafe before takeoff. 👍👍👍
thijsseh likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by XXTSGR

My profile includes preferences regarding specific (types/regions of) wines and that I like mine to be decanted. Proactive FA on my last flight told me he had already opened and decanted one for me when he delivered the PJs etc and enquirer whether I'd like a carafe before takeoff. 👍👍👍
Alas, I only get to fly F when there are enough points sitting around. I doubt I'll end up with a profile...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:01 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Alas, I only get to fly F when there are enough points sitting around. I doubt I'll end up with a profile...
It would be interesting to know how one gets a ‘profile’. It may have even to do with regular J travel. And certainly when you are Gold you appear on the purser’s tablet. Any of the regulars have any idea.

By the way, look at the difference between J Flex and F Saver fares. Depending on the routes you fly you may find that the difference is quite manageable and suddenly the points for a J to F upgrade seem quite expensive.

I flew Y recently for the first time in 6 years. It was pretty awful, but only when you know how the other 10% live.... Hope to return to the front / upper deck soon, but we need a bit of extra 💰 for a different project.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.