Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates cost cuts - bad news for someone here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates cost cuts - bad news for someone here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Saltire74
We got hot towels yesterday on the DXB-GLA flight (weren't very hot so maybe cutting back on the hot water use to heat them up ).

S
BA Forum hat on

Wow!

Hot water is expensive! You can't expect it for free. Some us have to pay £1.20 for a cup of it, nevermind a free towel being included

M

(context - BA are about to start charging for hot drinking water on shorthaul economy cabins)
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:59 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
BA Forum hat on

Wow!

Hot water is expensive! You can't expect it for free. Some us have to pay £1.20 for a cup of it, nevermind a free towel being included

M

(context - BA are about to start charging for hot drinking water on shorthaul economy cabins)
I was refraining from mentioning BA but now you've brought it up . I am just missing BoB by a couple of days so will get my last free cuppa at the weekend on them

S
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Cutting out showers on short haul destinations like DOH and KWI, whether times are good or bad, makes complete sense.

Water weight + 2 crew + can't guarantee all pax have time to take one anyway.... so that you can take a shower selfie? No way.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage
Cutting out showers on short haul destinations like DOH and KWI, whether times are good or bad, makes complete sense.

Water weight + 2 crew + can't guarantee all pax have time to take one anyway.... so that you can take a shower selfie? No way.
That's a good point on water weight. Hadn't thought of it before but the link posted (I think by NOIR) in the DXB construction thread today mentioned 2.2 tonnes of water for the showers, that's a lot of fuel.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
That's a good point on water weight. Hadn't thought of it before but the link posted (I think by NOIR) in the DXB construction thread today mentioned 2.2 tonnes of water for the showers, that's a lot of fuel.
Yes, and I think that the EK boffins have realised that the nice PR stuff for a 45 minute flight (DXB-DOH) is simply not worth the expense of the H2O, crew and fuel. EK will take the hit on any negative PR, but common sense will prevail.

The Bloomberg article does give invaluable information. I still remember the broo-haa with Canada when Canadian authorities would not allow more EK/EY flights into Canada. The number of EK/EY flights into YYZ and YUL is still the same, a decade later and there is probably on change on the horizon...

What outsiders don't know is that when Canada's airlines lose sectors/pax their crews are laid off - AND the Canadian taxpayer pays for retraining, unemployment insurance, OR in the worse-case scenario "the dole". And for what? Besides, the fewer flights to Europe would adversely affect bilateral agreements with Europeans and that would cost $$ too. The UAE did NOT care about that - lets fact it they were/are interested in expanding their interests. This is evident by having no unions and firing folks because of whatever reason. Due cause does NOT happen in the UAE. Top-down control is the way it is.

Similarly, most pax don't care about infrastructure costs in such events - as long as they get convenience AND cheap flights. Societal costs be damned as far as the average pax is concerned.

Emirates did not care about those issues either, so slapped a high fee for Canadians visas for UAE visits - , trying to intimidate Canada. However, if a Canadian flew EK/EY into DXB/AUH then the fee would be substantially reduced. The Bloomberg article indicates that Canadian PM (Steven Harper) stated that Canadian soldiers would not be used as bargaining chips. It was true then and it is true now.

That all changed when the UAE government awarded Canada the contract to supply uranium for their new nuclear powered electricity-producing reactors currently being built.

We all know what the UAE approach is all about. I am not saying it is good/bad. It is what it is.

FWIW, I currently work and live in Qatar and am involved in "nation building" so the local citizenry can do the jobs that expats are doing currently. Good stuff, and Qatari folks are quite pragmatic in getting this process to work for them and for their nation...

BTW, QR has also made subtle cost cuts in their services
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmac100
Yes, and I think that the EK boffins have realised that the nice PR stuff for a 45 minute flight (DXB-DOH) is simply not worth the expense of the H2O, crew and fuel. EK will take the hit on any negative PR, but common sense will prevail.

The Bloomberg article does give invaluable information. I still remember the broo-haa with Canada when Canadian authorities would not allow more EK/EY flights into Canada. The number of EK/EY flights into YYZ and YUL is still the same, a decade later and there is probably on change on the horizon...

What outsiders don't know is that when Canada's airlines lose sectors/pax their crews are laid off - AND the Canadian taxpayer pays for retraining, unemployment insurance, OR in the worse-case scenario "the dole". And for what? Besides, the fewer flights to Europe would adversely affect bilateral agreements with Europeans and that would cost $$ too. The UAE did NOT care about that - lets fact it they were/are interested in expanding their interests. This is evident by having no unions and firing folks because of whatever reason. Due cause does NOT happen in the UAE. Top-down control is the way it is.

Similarly, most pax don't care about infrastructure costs in such events - as long as they get convenience AND cheap flights. Societal costs be damned as far as the average pax is concerned.

Emirates did not care about those issues either, so slapped a high fee for Canadians visas for UAE visits - , trying to intimidate Canada. However, if a Canadian flew EK/EY into DXB/AUH then the fee would be substantially reduced. The Bloomberg article indicates that Canadian PM (Steven Harper) stated that Canadian soldiers would not be used as bargaining chips. It was true then and it is true now.

That all changed when the UAE government awarded Canada the contract to supply uranium for their new nuclear powered electricity-producing reactors currently being built.

We all know what the UAE approach is all about. I am not saying it is good/bad. It is what it is.

FWIW, I currently work and live in Qatar and am involved in "nation building" so the local citizenry can do the jobs that expats are doing currently. Good stuff, and Qatari folks are quite pragmatic in getting this process to work for them and for their nation...

BTW, QR has also made subtle cost cuts in their services
That's all good stuff but a lot of Canada references out of nowhere lol

I think we've always known the UAE is all about the moola, and I don't think they'll take a PR hit for not having showers on those flights, there's a very small community of people who would know about such things, and even fewer who'd truly care (aceboy and his friends primarily...)
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I didn't even know that EK had showers. It's another world in parts of the plane I'll never see!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:46 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by rumbataz
I didn't even know that EK had showers. It's another world in parts of the plane I'll never see!
Never say never rumbataz. I never thought I'd be on an EK plane. It happened. Never thought I'd get to fly J class. It happened. Never thought I'd get to travel F in an A380. It happened and had a shower to boot. Never thought I'd get an OpUp and until now I have been quite right

Haven't you seen the Jen commercial?

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:55 am

I just noticed other things that have been subtly cut over the years with a recent trip on EK:

- The newspaper/magazine rack in front of the boarding gates in Dubai
- Streaming of Arab Idol

(I know - first world problems.....)
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Never say never rumbataz. I never thought I'd be on an EK plane. It happened. Never thought I'd get to fly J class. It happened. Never thought I'd get to travel F in an A380. It happened and had a shower to boot. Never thought I'd get an OpUp and until now I have been quite right

Haven't you seen the Jen commercial?

Emirates Airlines featuring Jennifer Aniston.....! - YouTube

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Ha ha, funny ad.

One day, if I win the lottery, I'll take a shower on board an Emirates A380.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
The heck with EK cost cutting and negative effects on pax. I just booked a rt set of flights: DOH-DXB-ATH. Cost today was about 1000 AED less than yesterday. The savings will pay for my AirBnB and my car rental in Portugal (my final destination as I fly 4 sectors to maintain *G status with A3). ^

I can put up with EK cost-cutting on services on my flights if strategic flight choices accentuate my over all flying benefits.

I am still a long way off from getting out of Skywards Blue, but that is why I have Priority Pass for lounge access at the front end of EK flights.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Update on Emirates cost cuts:

They have new blankets in Y which are better!. So far only on long-haul (9h+) but FA said she thinks eventually they'll be on all flights. It's almost a J-equivalent blanket (not duvet/comforter). Very soft and thicker than the towel-like blanket they had before.

They also had a proper hot towel service before the 2nd meal on my DXB-CPT flight yesterday, not the pre-packaged refresher towel. So not all bad news by the looks of it.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:45 pm

Well that sounds a bit more positive then.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by thijsseh
To wash off the hand lotion and / or the spilled cake...
If you get cake.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by rumbataz
There are videos on youtube

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.