Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates cost cuts - bad news for someone here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates cost cuts - bad news for someone here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by fifty_two
What is this one ? like 50kaed yearly but for which purpose ?

From what i heard the salary of FA in EK is around 11k aed , true or not ?
I think it's the annual allowance they get it they choose not to live in EK provided accommodation. Pilots get either an EK House or an allowance for rental which is fixed and not based in the actual rental.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
My HYD-DXB flight on Monday had the old ones. FA also said it was only on 9h+ flights
I guess they started with the 9+hour flights but surely it will be network wide soon enough. DXB-NBO is only blocked at 5 hours but the flight is usually around 4:30 wheels up to wheels down. In any case, an appreciated improvement amidst the cost cutting efforts.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by m3red
Better than the current duvet?

I expect the new stuff when I fly to Phuket in a weeks time
I thought so - you'll definitely notice it if you get it!

YMMV
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

What is this one ? like 50kaed yearly but for which purpose ?

From what i heard the salary of FA in EK is around 11k aed , true or not ?
I think it's the annual allowance they get it they choose not to live in EK provided accommodation. Pilots get either an EK House or an allowance for rental which is fixed and not based in the actual rental.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:49 am

Yes it's the live out allowance that has been scrapped for new FAs if they chose not to live in EK accom
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:44 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Ok thanks , but this is around AED 4k per month .

In abu dhabi , the minimum for something decent and not shared is 6k , and ive heard that dubai is more expensive , so this allowance is just a joke when you know how much a FA earn in EK
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:26 am

Last year at First Class between BKK and HKG you could choose between two Appetizer and you got a Seasonal Salad, choice of 4 Main Courses and 4 different options for dessert.

This year I just checked the Menu for the upcoming Flight in First Class between Bangkok and Hong Kong. No choice for Appetizer, no choice for Dessert, no Seasonal Salad and only 3 Main Courses.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR

In abu dhabi , the minimum for something decent and not shared is 6k , and ive heard that dubai is more expensive , so this allowance is just a joke when you know how much a FA earn in EK
Housing in Abu Dhabi is more expensive than Dubai; and with less choice....
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Just out of interest, why would EK be cutting costs? I thought it was a state airline so had unlimited funds, particularly given the part of the world where it is based.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rumbataz
Just out of interest, why would EK be cutting costs? I thought it was a state airline so had unlimited funds, particularly given the part of the world where it is based.
the idea is that is generates profit for the owners, not just drain their cash. Also oil prices are way down.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:52 am

Let's not go down that rabbit hole again
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:16 am

Oil price has a massive knock on effect on spend in the region.

They are trying to cut costs but offer the same service. Doubt it will hit BA territory.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:10 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Housing in Abu Dhabi is more expensive than Dubai; and with less choice....
We pay less in Abu Dhabi (in one of the best buildings/locations in the City) than we did in Dubai for something similar (actually not as nice as we have now).....things have changed quite a bit in the last year alone - much less demand in Abu Dhabi these days..
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:05 am

Depends on Emir's personal worth and available credit line. One cannot subsidize international travel of entire world forever.

Their business model assumes, if you subsidize international fares long enough competition disappears and you can go back to regular fares and make money. Unfortunately not many airlines disappeared. Most are still surviving and some even gotten better and competing. On top Norwegian, Air Asia are also creating headaches.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by avcritic
Depends on Emir's personal worth and available credit line. One cannot subsidize international travel of entire world forever.

Their business model assumes, if you subsidize international fares long enough competition disappears and you can go back to regular fares and make money. Unfortunately not many airlines disappeared. Most are still surviving and some even gotten better and competing. On top Norwegian, Air Asia are also creating headaches.
Seriously?!

No subsidies to EK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.