The EK strategy thread

Old Dec 16, 16, 1:00 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

The EK strategy thread

There have been a few posts in NOIR's excellent DXB/DWC thread about the future EK strategy.

Maybe we should have a separate thread? Hopefully it won't get to the Emirates Scam thread levels...

In the words of a famous FT'er...

Let the speculation begin...
Old Dec 16, 16, 1:01 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Oh, and just to say, I have bugger all insight, so I'll leave it to the experts.
Old Dec 16, 16, 1:58 pm

Is this in response to someone stealing the wishlist thread off you again
Old Dec 16, 16, 2:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
Is this in response to someone stealing the wishlist thread off you again
I was about to say the exact same thing. He has to have some kind of sticky thread :P

Don't you know who he is?
Old Dec 16, 16, 3:50 pm

So, What is EK's strategy?
Old Dec 18, 16, 6:28 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I noticed anecdotally that more and more people in the US - even from here in California - are traveling overseas. The data confirms this: http://travel.trade.gov/research/monthly/departures/ - it's been over 5% annual growth since the recovery. I have friends who took their families overseas to visit Japan for Thanksgiving break (!!), preferring to meet relatives for Christmas instead.

On the other hand, it's becoming cheaper than ever to fly abroad, and as discussed elsewhere, low-cost macro environments are not a purely good thing for Emirates. Here at SFO, Emirates now has to compete against not only against the usual suspects like Etihad, but also nonstops from China and even Air India (made possible in part by the low oil prices).

It seems like every market in the world has these issues, but the intensities differ, and that's where the opportunities may exist for Emirates to move quickly to make money in this environment. They've done well to launch MCO and FLL.

EK's long-haul A380 product is still a very good asset and better than most of the competition, despite uncertainties in the future of that aircraft.
Old Dec 21, 16, 10:03 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Xlr View Post
I noticed anecdotally that more and more people in the US - even from here in California - are traveling overseas. The data confirms this: http://travel.trade.gov/research/monthly/departures/ -
I think with the rising dollar (and with a more rosy economic growth forecast in the US vis a vis other established economies, an ever higher dollar in the near-term future) you will see more companies trying to capture share in the US TPAC/TATL market. Both because you can charge higher prices with increased US travel demand (and you can get away with it), but as well as not having to dilute your overseas earnings into your dollar-pegged dirham/riyal/etc.
Old Jun 1, 17, 11:09 pm

Flydubai and Emirates merger?

An Emirates-flydubai merger is not the farfetched topic it was a few years ago. There would, of course, be integration matters to address: co-locating flydubai with Emirates, and moving flydubai more upmarket from its existing hybrid model (albeit one that already has inseat IFE and recliner business class seats). These are not easy, but nor are they insurmountable.

flydubai effectively gives Emirates a ready made narrowbody operation. flydubai would enlarge Emirates' network; allow Emirates to grow frequency on seat constrained markets (like India) by replacing widebodies with more numerous narrowbodies; and right size regional capacity that is suffering from overcapacity because of the large use of widebodies.
This CAPA article has an interesting proposal about the possibility of merging EK and FZ. I'm not all too convinced a merged EK and FZ would have any benefits. I think a closer operational agreement between the two airlines, specifically to reduce the overlapping between the two, would prove to be a greater strength than combining the two. Albeit, most strengths could only be achieved operating out of a single terminal.

I imagine that if the tables were turned, and EK operated an extensive narrow-body fleet simultaneously with wide-bodies, that there would be a proposal to spin off the narrow-body fleet into a separate fleet.

https://centreforaviation.com/insigh...lydubai-341033
Old Jun 1, 17, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus View Post
This CAPA article has an interesting proposal about the possibility of merging EK and FZ. I'm not all too convinced a merged EK and FZ would have any benefits. I think a closer operational agreement between the two airlines, specifically to reduce the overlapping between the two, would prove to be a greater strength than combining the two. Albeit, most strengths could only be achieved operating out of a single terminal.

I imagine that if the tables were turned, and EK operated an extensive narrow-body fleet simultaneously with wide-bodies, that there would be a proposal to spin off the narrow-body fleet into a separate fleet.

https://centreforaviation.com/insigh...lydubai-341033
Amazing imagine a downgrade from EK metal to FZ metal
Old Jun 1, 17, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Amazing imagine a downgrade from EK metal to FZ metal
I think the lack of DP would be enough of a reason to avoid for you m3red
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:05 am

I think the lack of DP would be enough of a reason to avoid for you m3red
Well given the crazy prices I've been ending up with J flex plus seats for the same price that I paid for F last year 😥
Old Jun 2, 17, 4:09 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
I'm not all too convinced a merged EK and FZ would have any benefits. I think a closer operational agreement between the two airlines, specifically to reduce the overlapping between the two, would prove to be a greater strength than combining the two.
I'd agree with that. Flying long-haul on a narrow body is not much fun, and I'm not sure that sticking Emirates logos on FlyDubai metal is going to do much for their brand, especially in Western Europe and the Far East.

But operating closer together, with codeshares etc, to prevent duplication might well work. I can't see how flying a B773 or even an A380 from Dubai to Muscat is going much for them.
Old Jun 3, 17, 8:48 am

Two words can sum up EK strategy: Tim Clark.

I hardly see any possibility of EK and FZ merging from different bases when TC himself said that moving FZ to DWC will free more slots for EK.

If by strategy we're talking 10 years and beyond, then, anything is possible. By then EK may or may not have TC on board, the aviation industry may or may not change significantly, and EK/FZ/EY/G9 may or may not find some synergy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: