FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The EK strategy thread
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:09 pm
CaptainEKAirbus

Flydubai and Emirates merger?

An Emirates-flydubai merger is not the farfetched topic it was a few years ago. There would, of course, be integration matters to address: co-locating flydubai with Emirates, and moving flydubai more upmarket from its existing hybrid model (albeit one that already has inseat IFE and recliner business class seats). These are not easy, but nor are they insurmountable.

flydubai effectively gives Emirates a ready made narrowbody operation. flydubai would enlarge Emirates' network; allow Emirates to grow frequency on seat constrained markets (like India) by replacing widebodies with more numerous narrowbodies; and right size regional capacity that is suffering from overcapacity because of the large use of widebodies.
This CAPA article has an interesting proposal about the possibility of merging EK and FZ. I'm not all too convinced a merged EK and FZ would have any benefits. I think a closer operational agreement between the two airlines, specifically to reduce the overlapping between the two, would prove to be a greater strength than combining the two. Albeit, most strengths could only be achieved operating out of a single terminal.

I imagine that if the tables were turned, and EK operated an extensive narrow-body fleet simultaneously with wide-bodies, that there would be a proposal to spin off the narrow-body fleet into a separate fleet.

https://centreforaviation.com/insigh...lydubai-341033