Wiki Posts
Search

Flight prices

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Flight prices

Hi,

We're getting married in Koh Samui in March and have been looking at the price of the flights going business class between LHR and BKK.

The price on the Friday 20th is £4360.38 (for 2 passengers) but the flight on the Saturday 21st is £6518.38.

We want to fly out on the Saturday because we don't finish work until the Friday or I would just go ahead and book the Friday flights.

What I'd like to know is how likely is the price of the Saturday flight going to come down to the same or near as the Friday flight. If the cost isn't likely to come down we will have to fly economy as I can't afford those prices.

Please forgive me if you think my question a little silly. I've never been further abroad than Spain and that was flying with one of the no frills airlines so I know nothing about any of this.

First time getting married (and last I hope!) and first time on a properly big jet (hoping for the A380) and I think this will be a once in a lifetime trip as I don't earn a great deal so I'm a little apprehensive!

Many thanks in advance for you answers.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by steve2802
Hi,

We're getting married in Koh Samui in March and have been looking at the price of the flights going business class between LHR and BKK.

The price on the Friday 20th is £4360.38 (for 2 passengers) but the flight on the Saturday 21st is £6518.38.

We want to fly out on the Saturday because we don't finish work until the Friday or I would just go ahead and book the Friday flights.

What I'd like to know is how likely is the price of the Saturday flight going to come down to the same or near as the Friday flight. If the cost isn't likely to come down we will have to fly economy as I can't afford those prices.

Please forgive me if you think my question a little silly. I've never been further abroad than Spain and that was flying with one of the no frills airlines so I know nothing about any of this.

First time getting married (and last I hope!) and first time on a properly big jet (hoping for the A380) and I think this will be a once in a lifetime trip as I don't earn a great deal so I'm a little apprehensive!

Many thanks in advance for you answers.
I'd probably just book the Friday if it means the alternative is flying y!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:06 am

The absolute lowest price for J I have seen LHR-BKK in the last couple of years is 1.7k GBP - the current best price for saver J comes in at around 1.9-2.1k at the moment. If you're already seeing 4.3k and then 6.5k for dates next to each other, I think it's unlikely that the 6.5k price will come down as the price has most likely moved to flex buckets due to strong loads.

Have you considered the 2215 departure from LHR on Friday? It would help if you could give us exact dates/times for some better advice.

EDIT: I assume you are looking at 20/21 March 2015 - Expertflyer shows quite open availability for the Saturday ex-LON departures, so this would be one of the rare occasions where I would say wait a bit before checking again as new fares might be loaded a bit closer to the time. Either that or go on Friday...!

Last edited by eternaltransit; Jun 22, 2014 at 9:15 am
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Try LGW instead of LHR, availability may be better. The additional distance shouldn't matter too much as the chauffeur will take you. However, there is only 1 A380 flight a day from LGW (EK10 leaving at 2010, you can connect to EK372 and get the A380 all the way).
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

My work won't let me have the Friday off so we can't fly out then.

Looked at LGW. Prices were around £75 lower for the both of us and fewer choices of getting the A380.

I suppose it is still very early to be booking so I'll leave it a little while to see if prices drop.

Thanks once again for all your replies.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Have a look at TG... Priced at £4009 for F. Suites on the 744 are very nice. Or J is £2651.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Gold
Why don't you fly to Paris via Easyjet and get picked up by the chauffeur at Orly. Business Class Rtn is 2285 euros. With the rest of the money you saved book the Intercontinental Koh Samui, you love it. Another option is Etihad for around £2020 rtn or for an extra £1000 fly back to the Uk on their 380 in first class.

Last edited by lightyear40; Jun 23, 2014 at 8:21 am
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:53 am

OP, if the extra 2000 pounds is breaking your budget, you should consider taking Y. You'll get from point A to point B just fine and a fraction of the cost. Use the money you saved to buy more drinks!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by noamaan
OP, if the extra 2000 pounds is breaking your budget, you should consider taking Y. You'll get from point A to point B just fine and a fraction of the cost. Use the money you saved to buy more drinks!
It's no fun in y. It's this guys wedding, doing be a tight wad!

Flying y is a means of getting from a to b but it's not enjoyable.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by m3red

That said, if the extra 2000 is a budget breaker, then I would advise the OP to actually fly Y, which would be around 1500 GBP for two, save your 2.5k (or 4.5k) and spend that on accommodations in Thailand - your 2.5k or 4.5k GBP will go a lot further towards enjoying your honeymoon than spending it on 24 hours in a nicer seat and slightly nicer food on board (and lounges that you'll have access to for 6 or 7 hours). 24 hours in a nicer seat, or an extra 3-4 nights at some of the finest resorts on the island...
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by m3red

While that might be true in some cases (I just did BOM-JFK in Y after doing 2 successive trips BOM-BOS in F and didn't mind it at all), spending money on a much nicer hotel in the ground is a much better use of $s than an extra few inches of leg space, a flat bed, and slightly better airline food for a couple of hours, IMO. BTW, if you are in the 777 J, you can't even hold hands..
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
That said, if the extra 2000 is a budget breaker, then I would advise the OP to actually fly Y, which would be around 1500 GBP for two, save your 2.5k (or 4.5k) and spend that on accommodations in Thailand - your 2.5k or 4.5k GBP will go a lot further towards enjoying your honeymoon than spending it on 24 hours in a nicer seat and slightly nicer food on board (and lounges that you'll have access to for 6 or 7 hours). 24 hours in a nicer seat, or an extra 3-4 nights at some of the finest resorts on the island...
These are well-made points.

Whilst I have never had cause to regret my own decision to fly in premium cabins, I am always very wary of actively encouraging others to do so IF they seem in any way uneasy about the cost involved. Everyone has different priorities and different budgets.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I've no problems spending £4.5K on J seats, I do however have a problem spending £6.5K on J seats. For that kind of money I'm sure I could get a good F seat with a different airline. So I have no issues with spending money, I just want value for money even it is just a nicer seat than Y.

Well anyways, after begging, bribing and threatening (joke) my boss I'm allowed to have the Friday off so I've booked the tickets. We want to sit together so I've reserved row 7 seats e & f. I've read here before that they seem to be pretty good seats. Is this still the case? Would prefer to be away from the noise of the bar, hence why I chose seating at the front.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:47 pm

I've no problems spending £4.5K on J seats, I do however have a problem spending £6.5K on J seats. For that kind of money I'm sure I could get a good F seat with a different airline. So I have no issues with spending money, I just want value for money even it is just a nicer seat than Y.

Well anyways, after begging, bribing and threatening (joke) my boss I'm allowed to have the Friday off so I've booked the tickets. We want to sit together so I've reserved row 7 seats e & f. I've read here before that they seem to be pretty good seats. Is this still the case? Would prefer to be away from the noise of the bar, hence why I chose seating at the front.
Personally I go for rows 9 or 11. The bar noise is only an issue in the last mini cabin and the problem with row 7 is the distance to the bathrooms which are at the back if the plane by the bar. You may also get moved if there is a baby in board...

On the plus side you will probably finish your meal an hour before the people at the back and be quick to exit the plane.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:54 pm

Also bulkhead tv screens

I think EK F at that time is going for 7.5k for two which for that route is quite reasonable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.