First time in F and a question

Old Jun 2, 14, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
First time in F and a question

Exceptionally and because of a credit due to a changed itin my 4 yr old and I are travelling in F this week from SIN. I know many of you are cringing and hoping you aren't on our flt but don't worry its the night dep and she will sleep
This is probably the one and only time I will travel in first so I want to make it worthwhile. We are on the 380 from SIN and are booked in the middle. Is there a divider between the suites than can open up? I am worried that I will not be able to see her especially during take-off, landing when I can't stand up. Same question for our second flt which is a 777-300ER.

We are eligible for DXB connect but arrive at 1255 and dep 9 hrs later. Would you use the hotel or stay in the FCL. Without my daughter I would definitely stay in the lounge but with her I am thinking a few hours deep sleep in a locked hotel room would be more restful. I don't plan to sleep much on the flts but hope she will.
Old Jun 2, 14, 10:55 pm

Yes, there's a movable divider on all the center seat pairs. No worries there.

I would definitely take the hotel if I were you. 9 hours is way too long in the lounge. I decided I didn't feel like dealing with immigration, etc. a few weeks ago on a 6hr40 connection and was really wishing I'd chosen differently a few hours in. There's very little to do in the DXB F lounges. Also, there are no private slumber rooms in the lounge, and the communal "quiet rooms" for resting are woefully inadequate and far too public, IMHO.
Old Jun 3, 14, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisKSDF View Post
Yes, there's a movable divider on all the center seat pairs. No worries there.

I would definitely take the hotel if I were you. 9 hours is way too long in the lounge. I decided I didn't feel like dealing with immigration, etc. a few weeks ago on a 6hr40 connection and was really wishing I'd chosen differently a few hours in. There's very little to do in the DXB F lounges. Also, there are no private slumber rooms in the lounge, and the communal "quiet rooms" for resting are woefully inadequate and far too public, IMHO.
Thanks for the advice, its very helpful. Even though you didn't use the hotel, had you been given a voucher? If so, which hotel was it? I am wondering what hotel they are using now? Last time our hotel was downtown because of the renovations at the Meridien.
Old Jun 3, 14, 12:41 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Catusa View Post
Is there a divider between the suites than can open up? I am worried that I will not be able to see her especially during take-off, landing when I can't stand up. Same question for our second flt which is a 777-300ER.
Yes, the divider can be kept lowered for the entire duration of the flight, as soon as you get into your suite. The suites on the 380 and 777 are identical so same holds for both your flights. This image should give you a good idea.

We are eligible for DXB connect but arrive at 1255 and dep 9 hrs later. Would you use the hotel or stay in the FCL. Without my daughter I would definitely stay in the lounge but with her I am thinking a few hours deep sleep in a locked hotel room would be more restful. I don't plan to sleep much on the flts but hope she will.
You should use Dubai connect. Note that 1:00 am can be a bit busy but I don't think it should take you more than 45 minutes to cross immigration. From there its just a short walk to the transfer desk who will assign you a car to take to your hotel. The hotel pick-up for your departing flight will be scheduled 2 hours prior to your departure time. Assuming that you are able to get out of immigration by 2:00 am and reach your hotel room by 2:30 am, you should still have at least 5.5 hours to spend in your room before your pickup at 8 am - good enough for you and your daughter to get some rest.

You'll also get a breakfast voucher and it may be a good idea to use it as I feel that the breakfast choices offered at the Le Meridien are much better than those at the F lounge. Can't say that about the Metropolitan Palace Hotel though.
Old Jun 3, 14, 12:47 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Thanks for the advice, its very helpful. Even though you didn't use the hotel, had you been given a voucher? If so, which hotel was it? I am wondering what hotel they are using now? Last time our hotel was downtown because of the renovations at the Meridien.
Yes, you will need to collect your voucher during check-in. In April, I was allotted the Le Meridien and last month the Metropolitan Palace Hotel. The rooms in Metropolitan Palace Hotel are a bit bigger, but the food at Le Meridien was definitely better and you had many more choices too, IME.
Old Jun 3, 14, 1:07 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Like others have said, you should definitely go to the hotel with your little one.

Now, once on board - I have two suggestions (#1 would be "shower" if you were on the 380 but I believe that your OP says that you are on the 777):

1) Eat - EK F food is great

2) Henessey Paradis (as long as you have someone else to watch little one)

Enjoy the EK F experience - It is the best in the world.

TFD
Old Jun 3, 14, 2:05 am

Programs: EK, JP
Exceptionally and because of a credit due to a changed itin my 4 yr old and I are travelling in F this week from SIN. I know many of you are cringing and hoping you aren't on our flt but don't worry its the night dep and she will sleep
This is probably the one and only time I will travel in first so I want to make it worthwhile. We are on the 380 from SIN and are booked in the middle. Is there a divider between the suites than can open up? I am worried that I will not be able to see her especially during take-off, landing when I can't stand up. Same question for our second flt which is a 777-300ER.

Hey CatUSA,

If I were you and had my 4 year old kid traveling with me, I would not take the Dubai Connect nor hang in the lounge. If budget is not a problem, i suggest the Dubai International Hotel inside the airport. No hassle of Immigrations, customs etc. It is pricey no doubt, around USD200 per night, but for me, I find it extremely convenient. Just another suggestion to consider, albeit a little steep. Happy flying and enjoy the amazing F experience on EK

Dinshaw.
Old Jun 3, 14, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input and the picture. I am looking forward to my flt especially on the 380 SIN-DXB and the shower onboard. I agree that the Dubai connect is the best option for us and I will hope for the Meridien (wish I could justify the airport hotel). In Feb they put us at the Marriott Marquis which had great rooms and good food but was alot further away.
Old Jun 3, 14, 8:02 am

Thanks everyone for your input and the picture. I am looking forward to my flt especially on the 380 SIN-DXB and the shower onboard. I agree that the Dubai connect is the best option for us and I will hope for the Meridien (wish I could justify the airport hotel). In Feb they put us at the Marriott Marquis which had great rooms and good food but was alot further away.
Also on the 380 they conveniently have the cloth bags on board (and if it's a night flight a proactive crew will offer one) which you can use to make off with your haul of souvenirs, to wit, new style slippers, amenity kit, stationery box, the cream/moisturiser kit and pyjamas. And maybe shower amenities. I may or may not have done this before...

There is also wi-fi to keep us updated!
Old Jun 3, 14, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), Starwood LT Plat (Amb), EK Plat
Enjoy it - EK F is a great experience. I took my youngest in F when she was 4 and she absolutely loved it also - after her holiday it was all she could talk about when people asked her about the trip

Search this Thread
Search Engine: