Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai Connect / STPC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: EK Skywards, Flying Blue, QR Privilege Club, Gulf Air, Egypt Air Plus
STPC

The rules for STPC state that you must take the best connection time from DXB however, what if all the connection times are over 8 hours?

To be more specific, I am looking at booking a flex fare from MAN to DPS. EK18 would be the shortest connection at 8 hours 5 minutes however, I would prefer to take EK22 (12 hours 20 minutes), as that would give me a longer sleep in DXB.

Should I take EK22, rather than EK18, are EK likely to honour STPC?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: EK Gold
It doesn't make any difference if all the connections are over 8hrs, you still need to be on the shortest layover to qualify for Dubai Connect.

So in your example, you would need to get EK18; if you take EK22, you won't qualify for it (nor get it).
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: EK Skywards, Flying Blue, QR Privilege Club, Gulf Air, Egypt Air Plus
Originally Posted by LE4603
It doesn't make any difference if all the connections are over 8hrs, you still need to be on the shortest layover to qualify for Dubai Connect.

So in your example, you would need to get EK18; if you take EK22, you won't qualify for it (nor get it).
Thanks. I guess I'll have to pay for the hotel myself or, just fly to CGK. The timing of the new DPS flight is awful for passengers from MAN.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: EBD & Lifetime Gold
Dubai Connect in booking dialogue or not?

I'm also looking at a trip for two to DPS with a 9h 50m layover in DXB. In the booking dialogue (Business Saver tickets, base fare $1750 pp) I don't see Dubai Connect being mentioned. Is it normal that you won't see your eligibility for Dubai Connect before finalizing the booking but only in Manage My Booking after tickets are issued?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Paby
I'm also looking at a trip for two to DPS with a 9h 50m layover in DXB. In the booking dialogue (Business Saver tickets, base fare $1750 pp) I don't see Dubai Connect being mentioned. Is it normal that you won't see your eligibility for Dubai Connect before finalizing the booking but only in Manage My Booking after tickets are issued?
I believe that's right.

I've just booked flights SYD-DXB-GVA with an 18.5 hr transit in DXB. There are later flights leaving SYD which would have a much shorter connection but they're booked out so I wasn't expecting a Dubai Connect offer. But when I went to MMB to choose seats there was an offer. (FWIW, it's a Y FlexPlus fare and I'm EK Gold, so that may have influenced things.)

Being a little too efficient for my own good, while waiting on the phone for my corporate TA to get the seats, I had booked a non-refundable room in the airside hotel, so I won't be using Dubai Connect. I'm not too disappointed; I was quite happy to just spend the time in the hotel and J lounge so that I can arrive in GVA the next day well caught up on sleep.

ETA: Just went back (an hour later) and the offer has disappeared, as some others have mentioned upthread. Oh well.

Last edited by RadioGirl; Mar 11, 2015 at 8:44 pm
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:58 am

Advice with DXB layover

Hi all,

New member - but had visited many times over the years! Guess it is about time to say hello and ask for help

I have a 12.5 hr layover in DXB, which whilst I am eligible for EK Connect, I would like to know what's best to do

Leg is EK768 from JNB, then EK015 to LGW class I.

Reading up it looks like the lounges are not the best to stay overnight in, but I am not sure if it's worth the hassle of getting out/in of the airport for EK Connect, or to just stay in the DXB Airport Hotel?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by mitsmaui
Hi all,

New member - but had visited many times over the years! Guess it is about time to say hello and ask for help

I have a 12.5 hr layover in DXB, which whilst I am eligible for EK Connect, I would like to know what's best to do

Leg is EK768 from JNB, then EK015 to LGW class I.

Reading up it looks like the lounges are not the best to stay overnight in, but I am not sure if it's worth the hassle of getting out/in of the airport for EK Connect, or to just stay in the DXB Airport Hotel?

Thanks in advance!
EK768 arrives around 1920 - I'd definitely take the Dubai Connect service as at that time immigration will be relatively painless: you should be out onto a shuttle to the hotel by 2000. You can have a decent dinner in Dubai and get a proper night's rest before coming back to the airport in the morning.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there, and a big welcome to FT

If your layover was of similar duration but during daylight, I would be advising (in fact instructing!!) you to get yourself into town, simply because IMO seeing as much as possible of this big world we live in, for as long as we are here, is ALWAYS better than hanging around for hour after hour after hour in a lounge (however luxurious).

But as eternaltransit had already noted, it's an overnighter, you will want some quality sleep, and so the advice already given is definitely your best option ^
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:37 am

Thanks for the quick reply and friendly welcome both!

I will look to book the EK Connect - it would be good to see a few hours of DXB I'd admit, but would rather not jeopardize my connection!

How is the airport in the AM usually? I guess I need to be getting there to clear security around 0600 for an 0800 flight? Not sure if there is any fast-track for I class?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by mitsmaui
Thanks for the quick reply and friendly welcome both!

I will look to book the EK Connect - it would be good to see a few hours of DXB I'd admit, but would rather not jeopardize my connection!

How is the airport in the AM usually? I guess I need to be getting there to clear security around 0600 for an 0800 flight? Not sure if there is any fast-track for I class?
I class counts as being in the Business cabin in any case, so you can use the dedicated F/J departures area - I estimate a total of 5 minutes to get through security and immigration. In fact, the walk from the entrance of the terminal to immigration is probably longer than actual clearance. For a 0800 flight, I would aim to arrive at the airport around 0650. If you want to visit the lounge then maybe 0630.

Oh, and, welcome to Flyertalk!

Last edited by eternaltransit; Nov 11, 2015 at 4:51 am
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:13 am

EK768 to EK15 is not the shortest connection, so should be excluded from Dubai Connect.

It looks like EK768 to EK11, or EK762 to 15, would also qualify, but are shorter connections, and this would usually rule your flights out.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:35 am

Thanks eternaltransit! Useful to know.

ft101 - I wondered that too, but it came up as eligible on the manage booking page, but had an error when I tried to book online. I phoned CS and they booked it instantly without question.

Perhaps it's based on the shortest connection in that fare class?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I believe it's the shortest available connection, so if EK11 is sold out then it woudl qualify.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: Emirates Blue, HHonours Gold
Dubai connect is usually eligible if the shortest available route is closed and sometimes even if you are in J they give it to you (based on experience).

As its a night flight a good night sleep in a hotel room is much better than spending it in the lounge although they have good sleeping chairs (have spent almost 8-10 hours there) it might be better for you to just go to the hotel
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
In August I flew VCE-DXB-NBO and was offered and booked Dubai Connect even though we elected to use the afternoon flight to NBO as opposed to the morning flight i.e. we opted for a 17 hour layover vs an 11 hour layover so we could sleep properly and not have to wake up and hurry back to DXB even though the morning flight was available at booking (plus we saved $100 per ticket). As per the rules this technically should not happen but I'm not complaining

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.