FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Dubai Connect / STPC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1404492-dubai-connect-stpc.html)

Budley Nov 5, 2012 9:11 pm

Dubai Connect / STPC

I was browsing my bookings on emirates.com and found an itinerary that stated it "Qualifies for our complimentary Dubai Connect service" (14 hour layover at DXB).

Never having used this service before I rang the Indian Call Centre and was told that my fare class (W) is not eligible for this service. Just seems a little strange to get a message that the service is available and then be told I can't use it.

Does anyone know what the actual eligibility rules are for the "Dubai Connect service"?

B747-437B Nov 6, 2012 5:16 am

U, B, N, M, E, W, R, Y are eligible provided all other eligibility requirements are met.

edy4eva Nov 6, 2012 7:32 pm

Dubai Connect

Just noticed this today while making a booking with EK:
Connection
9 hr 0 min Qualifies for our complimentary Dubai Connect service

As a special courtesy to our passengers, where an itinerary requires a long stopover in Dubai, Emirates will provide accommodation, meals, ground transportation and visas at no extra cost. Dubai Connect must be pre-booked 24 hours prior to departure and is subject to availability.

After your flight booking is complete, you can book Dubai Connect when managing your booking on Emirates.com

Something to do, perhaps with the QF alliance? Wanting to standardise the process?

ft101 Nov 6, 2012 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva (Post 19638074)
Something to do, perhaps with the QF alliance? Wanting to standardise the process?

No, this has been a long standing offer from EK.

edy4eva Nov 7, 2012 12:03 am

I've used the STPC since 2003. Wow almost 10 years now.
My question is about getting this integrated within the booking engine.

Budley Nov 7, 2012 12:08 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 19633098)
U, B, N, M, E, W, R, Y are eligible provided all other eligibility requirements are met.

Thanks for that. Very clear, even for a freeloader like me.

So why then did the agent at the Indian call centre say W class was ineligible?

B747-437B Nov 7, 2012 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Budley (Post 19639547)
So why then did the agent at the Indian call centre say W class was ineligible?

I don't know.

It is possible that STPC may be specifically excluded in the fare rules for the specific fare you have purchased, or alternatively that the itinerary was not STPC eligible for some other reason.

Or simply that the agent was wrong.

ung1 Nov 7, 2012 12:27 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 19639575)
I don't know.

It is possible that STPC may be specifically excluded in the fare rules for the specific fare you have purchased, or alternatively that the itinerary was not STPC eligible for some other reason.

Or simply that the agent was wrong.

Last I checked it wasn't a fixed set of booking classes but different booking classes depending on your point of origin.

Budley Nov 7, 2012 1:21 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 19639618)
Last I checked it wasn't a fixed set of booking classes but different booking classes depending on your point of origin.

Well, my point of origin is SIN. Obviously W class isn't eligible from there.

On a more general point, I am thininking of upgrading my onward flight from DXB to I class. I assume that I would still not be eligible for Dubai Connect.

They do play hardball, don't they? It's all take and no give.

B747-437B Nov 7, 2012 2:34 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 19639618)

No. It has been standardised systemwide since May 2011. However, some specific fares and markets are excluded.

Zol Nov 7, 2012 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Budley (Post 19639771)
Well, my point of origin is SIN. Obviously W class isn't eligible from there.

On a more general point, I am thininking of upgrading my onward flight from DXB to I class. I assume that I would still not be eligible for Dubai Connect.

No, upgrades are eligible - they get the same benefits as revenue

Budley Nov 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Zol (Post 19640316)
No, upgrades are eligible - they get the same benefits as revenue

So I am now upgraded to I class, but still can't get the benefits.

I've spoken to EK SYD who have told me that my flights are not eligible (just a throw-away line really).

Rang the ICC later (see post below) and got a different story again.

Makes you wonder!

Budley Nov 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Rang the Indian call centre again today. Got a different story this time. Apparently there is nothing wrong with my itinerary, but I was told there is a rule that the ticket must have a purchase cost of at least USD 1,100. Mine cost $1,000 + 50,000 miles for the upgrade - how much did that cost?

I guess everyone here knew about the minimum cost rule.

sadiqhassan Dec 29, 2012 11:56 pm

Does this mean that the website may be wong? I am looking at a JFK-DXB-JED ticket in X class (pretty much the lowest class) and it shows "qualifies for dubai connect service."

Even weirder, on the return, MED-DXB-JFK, I can choose a 5 h layover or 11. If I pick the 11 it shows "qualifies." (!)

If I can get a hotel I will take the 11 hour wait, if not I will pick the 5h one.

B747-437B Dec 30, 2012 11:37 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 19941712)
Does this mean that the website may be wong?

Not "may be wrong" but rather "is wrong".

I had a 19-hour voluntary layover in DXB a few weeks ago routing JNB-DXB-BOM and the website said that I was eligible for Dubai Connect. I didn't expect it to be but asked anyway at the hotel counter and was told that it was a common website glitch.

There were at least 2-3 other people there arguing that Emirates should honour the website misinformation, but they were largely ignored.