Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So THATS what I/O looks like

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by eightblack
I think the great things about programs such as i/O is the sheer amount of speculation and conjecture that the actual program generates (some might even argue that EK/Skywards do this on purpose).

For example, the EK people I have spoken to have mentioned that criteria is not based on influence (ie your ability to influence corporate spend) but rather on individual spend. There will always be exceptions.

This issue in itself has caused angst within the EK management in DXB.

I am personally of the opinion that the main criteria is RPKM (Revenue per km). It's the fairest way. I doubt if it is based on tier miles, and using RPKM doesn't mean that it is slanted just towards F travel (although I wouldn't think that out of the supposed 400 i/O members, that there would be anyone who would have achieved via Y travel).
I have to believe that the criteria changes with each individual. I fly a lot and so do my employees but not as much as some others. Also, we are not one of the largest companies in Dubai (not even close). My assistant pointed out that if you take revenue + ability to influence revenue + how long that revenue has been consistant (15 years which is a long time for a company as young as EK) AND FINALLY the kicker is adding in the CARGO REVENUE that a great number of UAE companies give to EK including us (it's my #2 expense), then MAYBE that's how I just got this. It's a mystery to me but I will find out when I get back.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I have to believe that the criteria changes with each individual. I fly a lot and so do my employees but not as much as some others. Also, we are not one of the largest companies in Dubai (not even close). My assistant pointed out that if you take revenue + ability to influence revenue + how long that revenue has been consistant (15 years which is a long time for a company as young as EK) AND FINALLY the kicker is adding in the CARGO REVENUE that a great number of UAE companies give to EK including us (it's my #2 expense), then MAYBE that's how I just got this. It's a mystery to me but I will find out when I get back.
This would confirm my hypothesis that it is not only about individual spend but on "influential" spend which could include both employees and cargo.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:35 pm

I still think it's being done in alphabetical order.

A cabin crew friend of mine has been checking I/O names she runs across and over 50% seem to begin with "A".

Perhaps this can be partly explained by an abundance of Gulf based passengers having surnames that begin with that letter though...
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Seems the obsession with the alphabet has gone to a whole new level at emirates!

Joking aside the io card, as I understand it, is officially only given to individuals who fulfil certain travel requirements over a period of time. So plenty of travel over along period of time. So both loyalty and frequency. Unofficially the rules are bent for those who are senior within organisations and who have staff using emirates alot. So most of the big investment banks and consultancies have 2-3 io's not all of them huge travellers. The Dubai government related entities and merchant families will also have some. Beyond that it helps to be higher up the alphabet!!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
bump

great read
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I still think it's being done in alphabetical order.

A cabin crew friend of mine has been checking I/O names she runs across and over 50% seem to begin with "A".

Perhaps this can be partly explained by an abundance of Gulf based passengers having surnames that begin with that letter though...
My last name starts with a letter AFTER "N". A is the most popular I've seen now that you say this but that's cuz I only know 4 other I/O's & 3 of them have last names that start with the letters "AL". This could also be written as a middle name but most don't write it that way
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
My last name starts with a letter AFTER "N". A is the most popular I've seen now that you say this but that's cuz I only know 4 other I/O's & 3 of them have last names that start with the letters "AL". This could also be written as a middle name but most don't write it that way
B747 is pulling your leg, ever since the "alphabetic" upgrade issue has been discussed he has taken it upon himself to ridicule it in various forms. I/O is based on certain metrics, alphabetical names not being one of them.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by whimike
B747 is pulling your leg, ever since the "alphabetic" upgrade issue has been discussed he has taken it upon himself to ridicule it in various forms. I/O is based on certain metrics, alphabetical names not being one of them.
But there is a positive correlation between being an IO and having your name starting with an "A".
Old Sep 15, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by GigoloArt
But there is a positive correlation between being an IO and having your name starting with an "A".
Yes, in this case due to many EK-heavy travelers being from GCC countries and the predominate use of "Al" as a starting last name (at least how the last name is recorded by EK) in the GCC countries. But, the last names starting with "A" is coincidental, I don't believe it is a determining factor for IO invitation.

I wonder, however, if the out-stations that use alphabetical op-up procedures do it to favor GCC nationals as so many of their names start with "Al", or if it is just laziness to get it done as quickly as possible. It would be interesting to find out if the load managers are instructed by Dubai to use an alphabetical op-up procedure.

Last edited by whimike; Sep 15, 2012 at 2:20 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: Skywards IO, IHG Platinum, RJ Platinum, IC Amb, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by Aquitania
If you are just a mortal, then 500,000 and you are in the club!
Its not 500,000.

There is no specific tier miles you have to reach, just fly more often, buy flex fares. and surely above 100,000 Miles. but not much more. its a one year membership you have to maintain, and you get great benefits like, first class lounge access all over the world no matter what class your traveling, a nice car insted of a bus to pick u up from the air craft incase you land on a remote part of the airport. guaranteed free upgrade. and a a guaranteed seat no matter how full the flight is. gifts and greeting cards on occasions. thats about it. besides the dedicated phone line..

Regards,
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by walaryan
Its not 500,000.

There is no specific tier miles you have to reach, just fly more often, buy flex fares. and surely above 100,000 Miles. but not much more. its a one year membership you have to maintain, and you get great benefits like, first class lounge access all over the world no matter what class your traveling, a nice car insted of a bus to pick u up from the air craft incase you land on a remote part of the airport. guaranteed free upgrade. and a a guaranteed seat no matter how full the flight is. gifts and greeting cards on occasions. thats about it. besides the dedicated phone line..

Regards,
It's 300k usd spend.... Whether that is yourself or you are in charge of your firms spending.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:15 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by walaryan
Its not 500,000.

Regards,
Firstly welcome to FT walaryan

And secondly, are you basing the above criteria on your own i/O membership?

From my experience or understanding, qualification is certainly not tier mile driven as we have many members who have tier mile balances in excess of 300/400/500 etc, you only get F lounge access in DXB (as this is the only place an F lounge exists, and upgrades are not guaranteed...I also understood that once granted status, this lasts for 2-years (not one as you indicate)
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Actually having seen a few io cards given out and having spoken to the io team a few times. There is no criteria as such. I was told recently of someone who got a prize for most miles flown in a year and didn't get io and others who fly and spend much less but have a status in Dubai eg a CEO or a senior banker who do get it. The platinum card will make it harder for frequent flyers to get io in my view.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: EK GOld, A-CLUB GOLD, SPG PLAT.
Originally Posted by Aquitania
If you are just a mortal, then 500,000 and you are in the club!
thats not true. my wife hit 850,000 miles last year with J and F class. and her boss was shy of 1 million. They both never made it to I/O.

The target is set at 1 Million and above.

50 sectors first and business
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: EK GOld, A-CLUB GOLD, SPG PLAT.
The target is set at 1 Mln Skywards miles and above.

C-level , SVP's, MD's of Corporate Institution.

Elite club members as of April; 286 members at the moment
each year 40 newcomers and 60 downgraded.

50 sectors first and business

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.