Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Miles accelarator bonus : Only eligible in month of ticketing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles accelarator bonus : Only eligible in month of ticketing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Miles accelarator bonus : Only eligible in month of ticketing

I ticketed a trip in July where onward was in July and return was in August. I used Emirates website to book this trip. This trip had flight sectors which were under miles accelarator bonus promo in both the months. I registered online for the promos in both the months, that too before the travel. Everything seemed fine. However after this trip, when I looked at my statement, I was not awarded bonus miles for August. I promptly filed missing miles claim. I got a response like this.

Please tell me if EK is right in denying OR am I right in claiming.

----------------------

Dear Mr kshastry,

Please be advised members earn the Miles Accelerator Bonus for the month the ticket is issued and only if they have opted in for the promotion and if the flights are eligible under the promotion. In this case we have noticed that the ticket was issued in July 2010 for your travel in August 2010 and hence your flight on Aug 2010 is not eligible to earn miles as it is not listed under the Miles Accelerator Promotion in July 2010. Thank you for your understanding in advance and support of Emirates. We look forward to welcoming you on board. Yours sincerely,
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: EK G, BD G, CO G, FB G, LH SEN, IHG Plat Amb, Shangri-La Jade
This seems a little unfair, bearing in mind that you can't register for future month's offers. You have just reminded me to opt in for August offers though, so thanks!

I can't say for certain, but I think I've done the same as you in the past and received bonus miles when my trips have crossed 2 months (which they often do)

I haven't travelled since May, so maybe something's changed, but I'm now wondering what I'll get on my trip next week, as I return on 2nd Sept - Will have to try and register on 1st Sept just to make sure...
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:01 am

Programs: EK G, BD G, CO G, FB G, LH SEN, IHG Plat Amb, Shangri-La Jade
Having just registered for August bonus (thanks again ) I got the following:

Dear Mr FlyingFraudster,

We are pleased to confirm your opt-in for the August 2010 Miles Accelerator offers.

Every Emirates ticket you purchase during August 2010 will now earn you bonus Skywards Miles on eligible Miles Accelerator flights. To review the eligible flights for travel between August 2010 and June 2011, simply visit the Miles Accelerator page on skywards.com.

Note your opt-in for August 2010 remains valid for the entire month, no matter how many tickets you purchase. Be sure to visit skywards.com every month to opt-in for future Miles Accelerator offers and to take advantage of the thousands of additional Skywards Miles you could earn whenever you fly Emirates.

To monitor Miles Accelerator bonuses on tickets you purchase, you can review a complete Miles breakdown via Manage a Booking on emirates.com, or via My Itinerary on skywards.com.

For full details on the Miles Accelerator promotion and how any subsequent changes to your ticket may impact the bonus you receive, please refer to the terms and conditions.

We thank you for your continued support, and look forward to welcoming you back on board soon.

Yours sincerely,

Skywards Member Services

..which reads as though you should have got them!

did you book a return or single tickets?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Ofcourse it was a return ticket. The annoying thing is, they have infact credited one sector's bonus miles in August. That is out of XXX-DXB-YYY of the return leg, the DXB-YYY leg is credited. They are putting forth silly arguments for not crediting XXX-DXB !!

If they just look close to my statement (which I am pleading them to), they would realize what they are doing (or should do).

Also, these cases does not get referred back to same CSR at EK each time I reply. Its already third person I am dealing with. I am at a dead-end.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: EK Silver, LH SEN, CX Gold, UA 2P, DJ Silver, Sixt Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Diamond
That is news to me, i might just want to check my account thoroughly...
Good luck by the way-EK is normally good but sometimes you feel like speaking to idiots...
Old Aug 11, 2010, 8:37 am

EK doesn't even understand Miles Accelerator themselves. It will cost you more in phone calls to sort it out than the 1000 miles or whatever are worth.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:59 pm

My understanding was that if you booked on Emirates.com you were automatically given the miles accelerator (where applicable) without registering seperately. Is this not the case?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, KQ Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
My understanding was that if you booked on Emirates.com you were automatically given the miles accelerator (where applicable) without registering seperately. Is this not the case?
I was always under the impression that bookng online registers you automatically. I checked the skywards website and it confirms it....

To qualify for our August 2010 offers, simply search below, opt-in and purchase your ticket(s) between 1-31 August 2010. Alternatively,
purchase online and we will opt you in automatically
. Your bonus Skywards Miles will then be credited to your account when you travel on any of the eligible flights listed.

So technically booking online should give you the bonus miles regardless of the month travelled as you have been automatically registered.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ♪♪♪ 7 ™
Its like they make it up as they go because they don't have a clue themselves. We spent so much time chasing their errors that we changed airlines. Then they sent emails and a few calls but never managed to put things right. I hope you get what you were meant to get soon.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:22 am
Original Poster

OK. Here is the latest update. I tried third time and failed again. I have given up now.

-------------------------

Dear Mr kshastry,

Thank you for your email with regards to Bonus Miles. Please be advised that the below flight was not included in the Miles Accelerator promotion for the month of July and hence there was no bonus miles credited to your Skywards Account. Thank you for your support of Emirates and we look forward to welcoming you back on board.

Yours sincerely,

-------------------------------

In otherwords, what they seem to be saying is, if you have ticketed a flight in say July for travel in July-August, and if the August's flight has "declared" bonus in July itself, then only you are eligible. In my case, I don't remember whether that flight had bonus delcared in July. However, it certainly has bonus in August, and I had registered for it well before my travel.

If the above is correct, then EK can declare bonus, and it doesn't automatically guaranteed that you will get them just because you have registered for it OR booked tix at EK website.

I had assumed that overcomplications are the traits of sub-continent (only)
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:29 am

Programs: Skywards
Miles Accelarator option really makes very little sense to me. I had an issue with Skywards in May/June and finally got my points as 'Goodwill points' after I refused to stop following up on my request.
Yesterday, I made another booking online Emirates website. Both the outbound and return flights are in September. On the Skywards website, one can only opt for Miles Accelarator promotion in August. Since I was buying ticket in August, I called Skywards service center to ask if I could register for September also as the flight is shown as an eligible one for bonus miles. She confirmed that I could only register for bonus in the month I purchased tickets in. This confuses me more.

1) Why then the flights beyond August are listed as eligible ones for bonus when one cannot avail that bonus till he/she waits for that month to buy the ticket, then register for the offer.
2) Why my itinerary now shows bonus miles when I have bought the ticket in August and will travel in September. I havent yet registered for promotion even in August. This makes the passenger believe that all is well and he will get the points displayed in his/her itinerary.
3) When Emirates last made changes to their FF program, they covered up for SAVER and FLEX fare introduction with this Miles Accelerator promotion. Their saver fares are generally time-bound for the month (Atleast this is what I observed in Germany). If you avail their SAVER fare, sometimes you have to buy the ticket in a month other than your travelling month and this leaves no chance to avail bonus miles as the ticket is not issued in the same month as the one in which the passenger actually fly. Hence you end up earning almost half the miles you used to earn before the skywards was changed.

All too confusing.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irfanjaffry
2) Why my itinerary now shows bonus miles when I have bought the ticket in August and will travel in September. I havent yet registered for promotion even in August. This makes the passenger believe that all is well and he will get the points displayed in his/her itinerary.
This is exactly what happened to me. But I am too tired to chase. I already explained, re-explained ad infinitum to three persons at EK already.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you booked on EK website your ticket confirmation should show the mileage earnings, and you could use that to argue to get the bonus on both legs.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The mileage accelerator always applies in the month that is ticketed. If you are traveling in September and ticketing in July, the accelerator has to be shown in the booking engine for your flight in September at the time of ticketing. If you buy in July and it is not offered for your September flight and it is offered for tickets purchased in August, you are out of luck.

Also note that if you reticket and your ticket is reticketed in a month other than the one your originally ticketed it in, you need to resign up in the month of reticketing. Thus you bought the ticket in July and the accelerator was applicable for your flight. Then you decided to change the routing and the ticket had to be reissued in August, if the accelerator is no longer offered on your flight again you are out of luck. You could always reticket if it was not offered in the original month but is offered as it gets closer. This may cost you change fees, etc. though.

The point of it is to encourage you to buy a ticket because more miles are offered--not to have you guess and hope you get the flight that may be offered bonus points at some point before the departure.
It is a bit complicated but not overly so. There is no need to keep checking to see if it will be offered on your flights after you ticket it as it ONLY applies in the month of ticketing.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
If you are traveling in September and ticketing in July, the accelerator has to be shown in the booking engine for your flight in September at the time of ticketing. If you buy in July and it is not offered for your September flight and it is offered for tickets purchased in August, you are out of luck. Also note that if you reticket and your ticket is reticketed in a month other than the one your originally ticketed it in, you need to resign up in the month of reticketing. Thus you bought the ticket in July and the accelerator was applicable for your flight. Then you decided to change the routing and the ticket had to be reissued in August, if the accelerator is no longer offered on your flight again you are out of luck. You could always reticket if it was not offered in the original month but is offered as it gets closer.
I could swear there was something about the phases of the moon and whether the month had a Y in its name as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.