Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAE flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Dubai flights

An interesting experience with the Dubai flights. I flew to Dubai the week of Nov29-Dec 3. Going there we went on flyDubai and return on Israir. I was a bit worried that the Israir flight might not happen in the end, but as we saw the issues were resolved and the flights happened.
But until the day before the return flight with Israir i did not know which Terminal in DXB it would be in.

DXB has 3 terminals, though terminal 1 is closed currently. Terminal 3 is Emirates and Flydubai exclusively, and Terminal 2 is all other airlines and some flyDubai flights.
My israir tickets and confirmation did not list the DXB terminal. DXB airport website didnt even show the flights, let alone the terminal. I contacted Israir through their website and by email. They wrote back that i should check at DXB airport when i get there to find out which terminal they are in. I wrote them back a scathing response - travel between the terminals takes 20+ minutes, and they expected me to wander around until i found which terminal they were in?

Meanwhile i used the chat feature of Dubai airports website and they were able to confirm that the Israir flight was in fact in Terminal 3.
Later i also finally got a response from Israir that their flight was in terminal 3.
This is unusual because Terminal 3 is otherwise exclusively for Emirates and flyDubai.

In retrospect, from a security perspective this makes sense. The Israeli security were clearly nervous at this airport. At the gate when they unlocked it they even wanded some ground crew.

Terminal 2 has flights from Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, and maybe Syria as well using those countries own airlines. Incoming flights are always a security risk in terms of what some airline crewmember or terrorist could sneak onboard the plane from an airport with lax security. By keeping the Israel airlines flights in terminal 3, they minimize that risk as all the other flights are under the control of the UAE govt.

Our Israir flight for return to TLV had only 8 passengers. This is because it was only two days after Israir started flying there.

​​​​
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by nombody
An interesting experience with the Dubai flights. I flew to Dubai the week of Nov29-Dec 3. Going there we went on flyDubai and return on Israir. I was a bit worried that the Israir flight might not happen in the end, but as we saw the issues were resolved and the flights happened.
But until the day before the return flight with Israir i did not know which Terminal in DXB it would be in.

DXB has 3 terminals, though terminal 1 is closed currently. Terminal 3 is Emirates and Flydubai exclusively, and Terminal 2 is all other airlines and some flyDubai flights.
My israir tickets and confirmation did not list the DXB terminal. DXB airport website didnt even show the flights, let alone the terminal. I contacted Israir through their website and by email. They wrote back that i should check at DXB airport when i get there to find out which terminal they are in. I wrote them back a scathing response - travel between the terminals takes 20+ minutes, and they expected me to wander around until i found which terminal they were in?

Meanwhile i used the chat feature of Dubai airports website and they were able to confirm that the Israir flight was in fact in Terminal 3.
Later i also finally got a response from Israir that their flight was in terminal 3.
This is unusual because Terminal 3 is otherwise exclusively for Emirates and flyDubai.

In retrospect, from a security perspective this makes sense. The Israeli security were clearly nervous at this airport. At the gate when they unlocked it they even wanded some ground crew.

Terminal 2 has flights from Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, and maybe Syria as well using those countries own airlines. Incoming flights are always a security risk in terms of what some airline crewmember or terrorist could sneak onboard the plane from an airport with lax security. By keeping the Israel airlines flights in terminal 3, they minimize that risk as all the other flights are under the control of the UAE govt.

Our Israir flight for return to TLV had only 8 passengers. This is because it was only two days after Israir started flying there.​​​​
How was the trip?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:50 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Why doesn’t EK fly to TLV?
I hope it is not the same issue as Egyptair sending its subsidiary Air Sinai to TLV
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:25 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by LY777
Why doesn’t EK fly to TLV?
I hope it is not the same issue as Egyptair sending its subsidiary Air Sinai to TLV
EK planned to fly (Israeli press had new articles about them planning to fly 777s to Israel starting early December), but the signing of the bilateral visa-waiver agreement was delayed, and a new mechanism was enacted in which airlines have to arrange visas for their customers. Implementation of the visa-waiver agreement is now planned for mid-January, so I would assume EK would start flying to TLV shortly thereafter.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
If I fly from TLV on my American passport, would I need to get a visa?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Assuming US citizens don't need a visa to go to Dubai, then no. However, this procedure is still facilitated by the airlines - they have to let the authorities know in advance that they have a passenger who does not need a visa (but in such a case you won't have to pay the visa fee, which Israeli citizens are required to pay until the visa-waiver agreement comes into affect).

Details regarding this procedure can be found here: https://www.elal.com/he/PassengersIn.../UAE-Visa.aspx (english info is below the Hebrew). Essentially, you have to apply for a visa using a travel company LY partnered with and fill up your details in a special web form on LY's website (foreign passport holders only need to do the latter).
Old Dec 13, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by gordo6
EK planned to fly (Israeli press had new articles about them planning to fly 777s to Israel starting early December), but the signing of the bilateral visa-waiver agreement was delayed, and a new mechanism was enacted in which airlines have to arrange visas for their customers. Implementation of the visa-waiver agreement is now planned for mid-January, so I would assume EK would start flying to TLV shortly thereafter.
ok thanks
Old Dec 13, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: LH SENATOR
You can book already flights with Emirates as they have a Codeshare on the FlyDubai flights. I wouldn't be suprised with we will see Emirates take over these flights and operate to TLV instead of Fly Dubai. Once things are going back to normal Emirates will be very much interested to get as much marketshare as possible of Eastbound traffic to the Indian sub continent, Africa, Asia and Australasia which in order to ensure optimal feeder flights will see them operate at least 1 -2 daily flights. Hwever at this stage demand for connecting traffic is rather low and I am not sure if cargo demand on this route at this stage is already high enough that would require the capacities of a B77W as of yet.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Apparently not:

https://www.uae-embassy.org/services...isas-passports

Still, I would use the Israeli passport just to be one of the first Israeli passport holders to get a UAE stamp, because that's kind of cool.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Apparently not:

https://www.uae-embassy.org/services...isas-passports

Still, I would use the Israeli passport just to be one of the first Israeli passport holders to get a UAE stamp, because that's kind of cool.
But is it worth it for 95$? I suppose one could always wait for the visa-free agreement to be finalized, would that still count as one of the first?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto
But is it worth it for 95$? I suppose one could always wait for the visa-free agreement to be finalized, would that still count as one of the first?
Oh, I didn't realize there was a cost - I thought visa-free meant you landed, got an entry stamp, and off you go. I'm cheap, so in that case I'd go with the US passport
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I thought visa-free meant you landed, got an entry stamp, and off you go. I'm cheap, so in that case I'd go with the US passport
It does, but the agreement haven't been "finalized" yet, therefore the current workaround of applying for a visa in advance (no clue if one actually gets a sticker in their passport on arrival or just a stamp)
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:35 am

Implementation of the visa-waiver agreement is now planned for mid-January.....
Is there any official source behind this statement? There seem to have been significant delays on Emirati side...
Old Dec 14, 2020, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by hopeful_me
Is there any official source behind this statement? There seem to have been significant delays on Emirati side...
I saw it in a news article a few days ago, but I can’t find it right now...
Old Dec 15, 2020, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by nombody

​​​​
I'm sorry what? You're painting a very broad offensive brush here. Just because a flight is coming from Iraq doesn't mean that a terrorist is sneaking on it. What ridiculous hypberbole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.