UAE flights

Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:04 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I'm sorry what? You're painting a very broad offensive brush here. Just because a flight is coming from Iraq doesn't mean that a terrorist is sneaking on it. What ridiculous hypberbole.
While this is true, the idea is to mitigate the risk. This is why we see EL AL's gates, whether in the US or Frankfurt at the end of a terminal or surrounded by barriers and the like. It isn't that there definitely is a terrorist. It needn't be seen as an offensive comment, but rather a comment that lines up with the risk mitigation steps that are generally taken.

<mod hat>
If you find a comment offensive, don't respond to it. The proper way to deal with a comment you deem offensive on FlyerTalk is to alert a moderator using the icon on the side of the post. A mod will review the post, assess it and deal with it according to FT Rules.
</mod hat>
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I'm sorry what? You're painting a very broad offensive brush here. Just because a flight is coming from Iraq doesn't mean that a terrorist is sneaking on it. What ridiculous hypberbole.
It is far from unusual for airports to take different steps when dealing with flights which they consider to be unusually risky.

In MXP, for example, passengers for all flights to either Israel or the US are checked in at a special area guarded by police with assault rifles.

I don't know what the situation in FRA are now, but even before 9/11 when flying El Al, they opened all of my baggage (including checked baggage) and looked through them thoroughly. After that, we were not allowed to be anywhere in the terminal except for one room which had a small duty free area. The last time I flew out of there, there was also an Air Iran flight leaving about the same time and its passengers also had to go to that room. I actually thought that it was humorous to put Iranians and Israelis together in a small departure area for safety reasons.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The special area protected by those uniformed Italian governmental security -- they were referred to as the pretty boys given how much some of them used to comb their hair while on duty -- were assigned for US and Israeli flights but also for my BA flights when I was a frequent flyer in and out of MXP.

It may not be long before there are public indications of Qatar Airways wanting to serve TLV too and UAE flights being in line for some additional competition.

For the limited weeks in December that had busy passenger service from Israel to the UAE, wasn't it something like 70k passengers who traveled from Israel to the UAE? That's quite the start.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 4, 2021 at 10:11 pm
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It may not be long before there are public indications of Qatar Airways wanting to serve TLV too and UAE flights being in line for some additional competition.
Um, I don't see any news about QR serve to TLV anytime soon. I am not sure if they signed a peace deal agreements. You never know.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Oh, I didn't realize there was a cost - I thought visa-free meant you landed, got an entry stamp, and off you go. I'm cheap, so in that case I'd go with the US passport
Is it not possible to go in with US passport for free, but ask them to stamp the israeli passport?
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
While the only predictable aspect of Middle East politics is its unpredictability, I do think Qatar may not be on the immediate treaty radar. This was about bringing Qatar back into good steads with the Saudi axis. Qatar has played a role in channeling funds from Israel to Gaza and perhaps it may want to try to play it more neutral. So DOH-TLV might be a stretch. I hope I'm wrong. Not only for peace but also because QR is the best airline I've ever flown and DOH is the most efficient connection hub I've experienced.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: EL AL Gold, BA Gold, LH M&M
Originally Posted by RedChili
I've never seen this before on Flightradar. I'm not sure if it's just because I haven't paid attention, or if it's a change in policy. A Lufthansa flight on its way to the Maldives, overflying what appears to be Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Bahrein, UAE, and Oman. As far as I can remember, airlines have generally flown south of Israel on similar routings. Is this something new, or have I just been sleeping in class?

Is this new ? Now they allow flight to Kuwait to fly over Israel ?

Old May 10, 2021, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Noticed this bit today.

Official: Emirates Launching Flights To Tel Aviv, Israel In June 2021

MAY 10, 2021 BY BEN (OMAAT)

https://onemileatatime.com/emirates-israel-flights/

QUOTE:

"In an internal communication to employees, it has been revealed that as of June 15, 2021, Emirates will launch daily nonstop flights between Dubai (DXB) and Tel Aviv (TLV).

Emirates plans to use a three cabin Boeing 777-300ER for the route, and it should be operated with the following schedule:

EK931 Dubai to Tel Aviv departing 2:40PM arriving 5:05PM
EK932 Tel Aviv to Dubai departing 7:50PM arriving 11:50PM

Flights between the two countries are allowed to use airspace of Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, significantly cutting down travel time compared to the circuitous routing that would otherwise be needed."
Old May 11, 2021, 2:32 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by 24left
Emirates plans to use a three cabin Boeing 777-300ER for the route, and it should be operated with the following schedule:

Except for F, is the seat in any class better than the one's on LY 787?
Old May 11, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by Houminer
Except for F, is the seat in any class better than the one's on LY 787?
LY J class is 1-2-1 (787) vs EK 2-3-2 (777).
No comparison...
Old May 11, 2021, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by 24left

EK931 Dubai to Tel Aviv departing 2:40PM arriving 5:05PM
EK932 Tel Aviv to Dubai departing 7:50PM arriving 11:50PM
I can't say that I am thrilled by that schedule.

A 5:05 p.m. arrival at TLV may be okay for people heading South, or live so far North that Rte 6 offers a viable drive, but if they are heading to anyplace between South Tel Aviv and Netanya, they are going to be caught in rush hour traffic which will add at least an hour to their trip.

Arriving in Dubai at 11:50 pm does not seem ideal for Israeli tourists. Trying to check in at a hotel at 1 a.m. or later generally means a smaller choice of rooms (or even being walked) and a night shift on duty who are more apt to make mistakes than the day shifts.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by Dovster

A 5:05 p.m. arrival at TLV may be okay for people heading South, or live so far North that Rte 6 offers a viable drive, but if they are heading to anyplace between South Tel Aviv and Netanya, they are going to be caught in rush hour traffic which will add at least an hour to their trip.

Arriving in Dubai at 11:50 pm does not seem ideal for Israeli tourists. Trying to check in at a hotel at 1 a.m. or later generally means a smaller choice of rooms (or even being walked) and a night shift on duty who are more apt to make mistakes than the day shifts.
Indeed, the schedule is not good
Old May 11, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA, A3, LY; IHG/IC, Accor
EK932 schedule is perfect for flying after a day at work. I will happily use it. Plus, I am happy not to deal with Air Dubai again.
Old May 11, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Dovster

These flights are not timed for Israelis tourists.
they are timed for connections to and from the far east / Australia.

There is plenty of space available on Arkia, Israir, and ELAL for tourists.
Auto Enthusiast and TWA884 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Announcement posted on July 1 2021 on multiple sources including:

Israeli, UAE airlines announce codeshare and frequent flyer partnership

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...r-partnership/

QUOTE:

"Under the agreement, El Al will sell tickets and offer frequent flier points to its members for the twice-weekly Etihad service between Abu Dhabi and Tel Aviv from July 18."

and

QUOTE:

"Available for sale from today, for flights from 18 July 2021, EL AL will add its ‘LY’ code to Etihad’s existing twice weekly service between Abu Dhabi to Tel Aviv. Beyond Etihad’s Abu Dhabi hub, this new partnership will extend further and is planned to include destinations in Australia, Bahrain, India, Korea, Philippines and Seychelles from 1 August."

https://www.etihad.com/en/news/etiha...ic-cooperation

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.