Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by BATLV
But I am primarily talking about domestic travel. To the person whose trip is 8 hours along ( on average) the 20 minutes, difference vs VDA does matters less. Keep in these are either Jewish tourists or low costs tourists, given the quality of Eilat's resorts and that Eilat has little to offer on top of its (limited in length) beaches.
I am also talking about domestic travel, so I don't understand how Int'l travel ended up here

It does not matter much that the terminal is mid-runway, as larger planes still will be exiting the runway towards its end. On top of that, the runway is considerably longer than ETH.
What larger planes? The runway is about double in length to that of ETH, so assuming same 737/320 and the likes land in ETM, they should be able to exit the runway just around where the terminal is, I somewhat doubt we will start seeing 747s flying TLV-ETM any time soon

No, they don't unless start of service at 19:00 is public transport to you. To me, it is not. If you stay in a hotel on the north beach and laze on the beach indeed you don't need it. But keep in mind that the few attractions Eilat has to offer ( the dolphin reef, aquarium) are not in a walking distance. Bottom line - you need a car ( parking issues, congestion) or a taxi ( little availability, overpriced, poor service, congestion).
Incorrect, there is a bus line running through Shabbat between the central bus station, north beach hotels and south beach, also busses from Eilat to Tel Aviv and the likes start much earlier than end of Shabbat.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
I am also talking about domestic travel, so I don't understand how Int'l travel ended up here

What larger planes? The runway is about double in length to that of ETH, so assuming same 737/320 and the likes land in ETM, they should be able to exit the runway just around where the terminal is, I somewhat doubt we will start seeing 747s flying TLV-ETM any time soon

Incorrect, there is a bus line running through Shabbat between the central bus station, north beach hotels and south beach, also busses from Eilat to Tel Aviv and the likes start much earlier than end of Shabbat.
By larger planes I mean 320/737/757. When landing on RWY01 A4 is the exit, still requiring backtrack to the apron, and when landing on 19 A2 and A3 can work slightly better. So we can assume landings on 19 will require same taxi time as ETH, and landings on 01 slightly more. So, still, on average you will see longer taxiing.

The single bus line that runs on Saturday is essentially a shuttle, not really used to get conveniently from place to place. This is not public transportation as it should be.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:57 am

By larger planes I mean 320/737/757. When landing on RWY01 A4 is the exit, still requiring backtrack to the apron, and when landing on 19 A2 and A3 can work slightly better. So we can assume landings on 19 will require same taxi time as ETH, and landings on 01 slightly more. So, still, on average you will see longer taxiing.
Depends on the parking spot, the taxi out of A4 could be very short or could be longer, still even to the other end is probably going to be shorter than backtracking 1+KM of runway they do in ETH,
The single bus line that runs on Saturday is essentially a shuttle, not really used to get conveniently from place to place. This is not public transportation as it should be.
A bus is never as convenient to having a car or taking a taxi, but it works fine if you want to get from your hotel in the north beach to e.g. the dolphin reef, and it's the same bus that runs all week long to the south beach, what kind of public transport would you want to see in Eilat?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:07 am

Depends on the parking spot, the taxi out of A4 could be very short or could be longer, still even to the other end is probably going to be shorter than backtracking 1+KM of runway they do in ETH,

A bus is never as convenient to having a car or taking a taxi, but it works fine if you want to get from your hotel in the north beach to e.g. the dolphin reef, and it's the same bus that runs all week long to the south beach, what kind of public transport would you want to see in Eilat?
Depending on the parking spot the bussing distance to the terminal will grow as well

I would like to see a 24/7 tram that goes along the shore with stops every 500 meters, and high-speed rail to TLV ( the latter instead of the waste of money that is ETM).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:33 am

Depending on the parking spot the bussing distance to the terminal will grow as well

I would like to see a 24/7 tram that goes along the shore with stops every 500 meters, and high-speed rail to TLV ( the latter instead of the waste of money that is ETM).
Well for now you have the bus that does just that and runs circa 8am-10pm, it could potentially run later to allow pax staying at the south beach hotels to get back there after e.g. having dinner in town, and maybe run more frequently (I'm not sure how full it gets in summer holidays) but what would a tram give that a bus doesn't?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Don't use Google for this. Use Waze, it is much more accurate in Israel. It is 25 minutes to central Eilat ( maybe 23-24 minutes to the hotels in the northeast.) And that is before even taking into account congestion, the checkpoint on route 90, the wait for taxies - since there will be more demand and not so much more fleet ( and taxies are crucial because buses in Israel are non-reliable and inexistent on weekends.

No matter how you look at it is 30-45 minutes more which makes the change unpalatable to an average Israeli. I am not saying they won't fly - but marginally less so, and Eilat will become more congested and even less nice place ( not that it is a decent resort today).
Isn't the airport within the checkpoint area, meaning no need to cross if heading from the airport to Eilat?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
No

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Isn't the airport within the checkpoint area, meaning no need to cross if heading from the airport to Eilat?
No it’s after the checkpoint
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:16 am

But if we're talking about domestic flights, those larger planes are quite irrelevant. Domestic flights from SDV and TLV are usually (only?) on much smaller planes. E-jets are the biggest ones that I know of. And if the runway is really long, and the terminal is located in the middle, then there will never or seldom be any need for backtracking at all for the domestic flights. Which could mean that taxi times at ETM will be shorter than at ETH.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:23 am

Well for now you have the bus that does just that and runs circa 8am-10pm, it could potentially run later to allow pax staying at the south beach hotels to get back there after e.g. having dinner in town, and maybe run more frequently (I'm not sure how full it gets in summer holidays) but what would a tram give that a bus doesn't?
Can you please provide a link to this bus service? I cannot find it online. In any case, trams are quicker, more reliable schedule-wise, provide more capacity and better passenger experience.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
But if we're talking about domestic flights, those larger planes are quite irrelevant. Domestic flights from SDV and TLV are usually (only?) on much smaller planes. E-jets are the biggest ones that I know of. And if the runway is really long, and the terminal is located in the middle, then there will never or seldom be any need for backtracking at all for the domestic flights. Which could mean that taxi times at ETM will be shorter than at ETH.
E jets are from SDV. TLV route is often served by 757/320. Over the last 10 years, I have seen a lot of reduction in ATR traffic.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:00 am

Can you please provide a link to this bus service? I cannot find it online. In any case, trams are quicker, more reliable schedule-wise, provide more capacity and better passenger experience.
https://www.bus.co.il/otobusimmvc/Li...78?Language=en

And if you've ever been to Amsterdam, you'll take back what you just said about trams
Capacity can be achieved by running longer busses or more frequent service, I have no clue if those busses ever get full to begin with and it's even needed.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
E jets are from SDV. TLV route is often served by 757/320. Over the last 10 years, I have seen a lot of reduction in ATR traffic.
Arkia doesn’t have ATRs anymore
BATLV likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:34 pm

https://www.bus.co.il/otobusimmvc/Li...78?Language=en

And if you've ever been to Amsterdam, you'll take back what you just said about trams
Capacity can be achieved by running longer busses or more frequent service, I have no clue if those busses ever get full to begin with and it's even needed.
Thanks for the link, I was not aware that this route runs on Saturdays. Very poor routing at the northern part - it just winds through all of the hotels instead of quickly passing through the central street in a direct line ( most Israeli bus routes are poorly planned in this sense). The bus runs only every 30 minutes and it takes 40 minutes to get to the southern part. Not really mass transit. Longer buses won't fit into the smaller pathways between the hotels. And the way public transport systems work is that you need to create capacity and incentive. Eilat offers neither ( or any Israeli public transport for that matter).

I found the Amsterdam tram system be very convenient and efficient. The ride experience is certainly more pleasant than a bus. The thing in AMS is that the trams don't always get the right of way. They can improve that.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:40 am

Thanks for the link, I was not aware that this route runs on Saturdays. Very poor routing at the northern part - it just winds through all of the hotels instead of quickly passing through the central street in a direct line ( most Israeli bus routes are poorly planned in this sense). The bus runs only every 30 minutes and it takes 40 minutes to get to the southern part. Not really mass transit. Longer buses won't fit into the smaller pathways between the hotels. And the way public transport systems work is that you need to create capacity and incentive. Eilat offers neither ( or any Israeli public transport for that matter).

I found the Amsterdam tram system be very convenient and efficient. The ride experience is certainly more pleasant than a bus. The thing in AMS is that the trams don't always get the right of way. They can improve that.
I'm not sure if a discussion on Eilat's bus 15 belongs in this thread, but anyway:

Where do you get the 40 minutes from? The link says 22 minutes from Eilat's central bus station to Taba border crossing. So it's a maximum of 22 minutes. The reason why it winds through the hotel area is that it's a one-way street, so all traffic (both buses, cars and taxis) will have to go that way. From the bus stop which is nearest to the King Solomon, the Queen of Sheba and the Royal Beach (in the middle of the hotel district), it's only 11 minutes to Dolphin Reef and 12 minutes to Coral Beach. If you can take the bus from the bus stop in front of the Club Hotel, it's 4 minutes to Dolphin and 5 minutes to Coral.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:49 am

I'm not sure where you saw 40 minutes? That page seems to say 22 minutes from first stop to last.
As for Amsterdam trams, they are very often too crowded that you can barely find a place to stand, which in turn also create delays as they have to stop longer in each stop, right of way is actually fine except for the mess around Centraal

The every 30 minute part is the only thing that needs to be improved, maybe, depends on demand, I'm not sure what kind of incentive you're talking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.