Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by BATLV
And now this is just in ( sorry for the Hebrew link): Domestic traffic is now down 25% Y2Y : https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,73...520522,00.html
Not sure how much this affects it, but important to note that Shavuot fell in May 2018, which may partially account for the drop off in passengers versus May 2019.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Not sure how much this affects it, but important to note that Shavuot fell in May 2018, which may partially account for the drop off in passengers versus May 2019.
Not a major factor since Shavuot was Saturday and Sunday. So it may account for 2-3 percentage points out of 25. Clearly, ETM has significantly hurt domestic air travel. I am afraid SDV closure will all but kill it. ( Kill does not mean 100% but will drive it down in a way that will become uneconomical for the carriers, which will end up getting more taxpayers money in a form of subsidies).
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
You're saying 84 shek is more money than a TLV-Europe flight?
No, I'm saying the previous prices are more than a TLV-Europe flight, I suspect some TLV-Europe (Cyprus/Greece?) flights also starts at around the same price range?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:52 am

And it continues - TLV-ETH vs TLV-ETM - 31% down, Y2Y.

https://www.globes.co.il/news/articl...did=1001288877
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:28 pm

This may seem like an odd question, but Ramon Airport has been under construction for years, and the runway has been in place for a long time. Yet Google Maps shows nothing. Google Maps appears to have been updated in the Eilat area as I noticed a couple of other changes. Given how so many Israelis are in tech, maybe somebody knows the answer?

Is Israel hiding the airport from satellites? :-)
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:18 pm

Google maps shows the airport when I look! The amount of detail shown (or not shown) is at the same level as TLV.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by awayIgo
Google maps shows the airport when I look! The amount of detail shown (or not shown) is at the same level as TLV.
When you look at the satellite view it's pre-construction of the terminal and pre-paving of the runway.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Tangentially related to this, but now major brouhaha over whether SDV will close, or whether it will close on time. They seem to realize, way too late, that this is a real problem for tourism, business tourism, Eilat residents, etc.

One solution is to have special shuttles that take you directly from the tarmac to Ichilov, Tel Hashomer, and Beilinson Hospital!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.