Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
It by itself? Maybe not. But done in tandem with other things, which include the creation of new hotels. Definitely.
As long as the new hotels are offering the same low-level service at a high price (including lack of proper dining options over the weekend) - no. And even if that changes - hotels are not enough.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:20 am

Certainly not marginal to VDA pax. Also a benefit to passengers to ETH in the sense of more reliability with flights, more seats available (with more flight times, larger planes, etc.)
It is marginal for tourists. Think of the airports in Greece for instance (HER, KLX, etc.). It does not matter - as long as the place itself offers a wide variety of activities, beautiful nature, great food, etc.. Eilat offers little of this, so a nicer airport 15 minutes drive closer - is marginal. It will not bring more tourists and will not change the experience of those who are coming in any significant way.

As for domestic ETH pax - they value frequency to TLV/SDV most. Size does not matter for a 40 minutes flight - and in any case, ETH is capable of 737/320. Nothing bigger will come in the foreseeable future to ETM - the demand does not exist.

Again - let us not kid ourselves with small things that matter only to aviation enthusiasts/very frequent fliers - this is a real estate deal, with unclear beneficiaries.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by BATLV
Again - let us not kid ourselves with small things that matter only to aviation enthusiasts/very frequent fliers - this is a real estate deal, with unclear beneficiaries.
I think everyone got your point about the real estate deal after your first post, but you are posting in a forum full of aviation enthusiasts, aren't you?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
It is marginal for tourists. Think of the airports in Greece for instance (HER, KLX, etc.). It does not matter - as long as the place itself offers a wide variety of activities, beautiful nature, great food, etc.. Eilat offers little of this, so a nicer airport 15 minutes drive closer - is marginal. It will not bring more tourists and will not change the experience of those who are coming in any significant way.

As for domestic ETH pax - they value frequency to TLV/SDV most. Size does not matter for a 40 minutes flight - and in any case, ETH is capable of 737/320. Nothing bigger will come in the foreseeable future to ETM - the demand does not exist.

Part of the rationale for building ETM was supposedly an airport that can be an official IFR "alternate" to TLV in cases of bad weather. Right now, a 777 coming from London, for example, would have to land in Cyprus or Jordan in case of bad weather/closure of TLV as the runway at ETH isn't long enough and VDA can't handle that many people. Apparently the new runway at ETM is long enough to accommodate all aircraft types. If ETH is capable of a 737/320, why are none of the foreign carriers that fly those types to VDA flying them to ETH instead? I live near TLV and can't imagine myself driving/busing to ETM to fly but there are times that it could come in handy - sometimes over the holidays, the prices to TLV from Europe are insane so I hope that ETM will provide an outlet for the budget conscious during that time.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
As long as the new hotels are offering the same low-level service at a high price (including lack of proper dining options over the weekend) - no. And even if that changes - hotels are not enough.
They are low-cost budget hotels. A few, and construction has already begun on 2 of them.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
Part of the rationale for building ETM was supposedly an airport that can be an official IFR "alternate" to TLV in cases of bad weather. Right now, a 777 coming from London, for example, would have to land in Cyprus or Jordan in case of bad weather/closure of TLV as the runway at ETH isn't long enough and VDA can't handle that many people. Apparently the new runway at ETM is long enough to accommodate all aircraft types. If ETH is capable of a 737/320, why are none of the foreign carriers that fly those types to VDA flying them to ETH instead? I live near TLV and can't imagine myself driving/busing to ETM to fly but there are times that it could come in handy - sometimes over the holidays, the prices to TLV from Europe are insane so I hope that ETM will provide an outlet for the budget conscious during that time.
I've seen a 762 and 753 at ETH. The problem is that the apron only has room for so many aircraft. And with the domestic flights already there, the apron is full or almost full during some parts of the day. If they would allow international A320s to land there, and if one of those planes would get technical problems that would take 24 hours to sort out, you would suddenly have to divert some domestic flights to Ovda instead,

ETM could work if Pesakh is early, but not for Succot.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Neighbors of mine just came back from a trip to Europe. They made the 3 hour drive to and from VDA in order to benefit from an a really cheap LCC fare. So there you have it.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by LatusElAl
Neighbors of mine just came back from a trip to Europe. They made the 3 hour drive to and from VDA in order to benefit from an a really cheap LCC fare. So there you have it.
I can't believe there's free parking there.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get from the parking to the terminal?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
They told me parking was indeed free. But remember - this is VDA. I highly doubt parking will be free at ETM.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by RedChili
I've seen a 762 and 753 at ETH. .
The 753 is a regular in ETH.

I flew the 762 (with LY) from CDG to ETH, 25 years ago
BATLV likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I suppose anyone who lives in Be'er Sheva is more or less indifferent between ETM and TLV so overall will be good for the South. Now if only they'd expand the airport in Haifa.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:05 am

They are low-cost budget hotels. A few, and construction has already begun on 2 of them.
The current hotels are not good at all. I can only imagine how poor the low-cost ones will be. And still no improvement in Eilat's offering of attractions, quality of beaches, restaurants, not to mention the fact that everything is dead on Friday nights and Saturdays. Not an alternative to other Mediterranean resorts and cities in summer, and a very poor alternative for winter time.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:06 am

Cool

And that surely justifies the investment....

Last edited by BATLV; Dec 25, 2017 at 1:06 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
LCA is a valid alternative. And if push comes to shove and there is a defense-related emergency + weather, then in any case only LY will fly in and it can certainly be accommodated by IAF.

Foreign carriers don't make it to ETH because Israel prevents them. Not because ETH cannot handle 1-2 daily 737/320s ( there is no demand for more than that in the foreseeable future).

Again, the fact that some times some Israelis will shave off 20$ from airfare is not a reason to build a new airport. ETM will not offer significant improvement and will not bring more tourists.

And don't forget there is still talk on another( useless ) airport in Nebatim or Ramat David.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.