Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gordo6
See latest posts for updates and discussion.
Print Wikipost

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by NYTA
At least this will finally put to rest the speculation about the TWA liabilities.
Not until the first TLV-DFW flight clears Israeli airspace
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by LatusElAl
AA is returning to Israel
DFW-TLV begins Sep 20, 2020
3x weekly on 789

https://www.nasdaq.com/press-release...20190808-00109
The DFW route makes sense but it's a shame they didn't return the PHL service US had. That was a solid alternate option for NJ pax who want to avoid EWR and for whom JFK is really a non-starter. Miss that flight
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Agreed on PHL but if AA wants to sell themselves to NYC based business travelers as serving the world they should have a flight from JFK. There is still plenty of profit margin on that route to add a daily flight - especially with their connecting traffic.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by LatusElAl
AA is returning to Israel
WOW! That's big news. I too wonder about the TWA liabilities...

But more importantly, what is going to happen to fares? AA had some of the best fares to the US in J, either with BA/IB via LHR/MAD, or with LY via connection points in Europe. I wonder if these will continue, at least to the East Coast, which is presumably not a real option via DFW.

Shuly

Last edited by shuly; Aug 8, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Agreed on PHL but if AA wants to sell themselves to NYC based business travelers as serving the world they should have a flight from JFK. There is still plenty of profit margin on that route to add a daily flight - especially with their connecting traffic.
My guess is that competition from JFK-TLV makes that route not particularly attractive for AA. The traveling mix from the NYC area skews more religious Jewish, which gives LY an advantage. Also DL has a much bigger hub presence in NY (both JFK and LGA) than AA does, so it's better positioned for connecting passengers. That hub advantage, combined with the fact that DL just tends to be an all-around better airline than AA, makes DL a more appealing carrier for business travelers, I would suggest. Compare DL's T4 at JFK with AA's T8, and it's like comparing a modern shopping mall with the Cleveland Greyhound terminal circa 1998. (I exaggerate, but not by that much.)

I will say I'm intrigued by AA's decision to launch at DFW instead of ORD. I guess that's partly due to the relaunch of ORD-TLV by LY (I flew that route back in the 90s when I lived in Chicago! Still have magnets on my fridge that say "Fly El Al Chicago -Tel Aviv. It's the fastest way"), but given the catchment area for DFW, I wonder whether they're going to be targeting the Bible Belt evangelicals for this route.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Not until the first TLV-DFW flight clears Israeli airspace
Actually, all passengers must remain in the seated to/from Israeli airspace. 30 minutes rule. You must stay in the seat for 30 minutes rules prior to landing or takeoff. Due to Israeli government.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:24 pm

DFW makes a lot of sense to me. Significant Israeli expats community, some tech and space crowd, tap into the southwest market with connections.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:27 pm

At least this will finally put to rest the speculation about the TWA liabilities.
Wasn't that put to rest by AA metal doing AA flights on PHL-TLV?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by BATLV
Wasn't that put to rest by AA metal doing AA flights on PHL-TLV?
I think they discontinued the flights to PHL before the merger was 100% complete which led to more speculation on this issue.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by BATLV
DFW makes a lot of sense to me. Significant Israeli expats community, some tech and space crowd, tap into the southwest market with connections.
I am hoping they find it so successful that they add LAX. LY has had too much of a monopoly on that route for too long.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I am hoping they find it so successful that they add LAX. LY has had too much of a monopoly on that route for too long.
As much as I'd like for AA to fly that route, it is not going to happen. Every time than I flew El Al between LAX and TLV, the passengers appeared to consist of relatively few business, professional and academic people on work related trips and mostly of leisure travelers and church groups.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
LY will start flying to DUB and DUS on May and June 2020 (respectively). 3 times weekly each. Ticket sales will begin next week.

Source (Hebrew): https://m.ynet.co.il/Articles/5576721
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:45 pm

United downgauges for winter to SFO (777-300 to 200ER) but still more seats than last year when they were running this route with a 787
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...craft-changes/
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
United downgauges for winter to SFO (777-300 to 200ER) but still more seats than last year when they were running this route with a 787
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...craft-changes/
But what is the configuration? Polaris seating or the old seats?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Hainan suspends TLV-Shanghai route for the winter

https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-hainan-suspends-tel-aviv-shanghai-flights-1001299160
Due to "operational reasons"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.