Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Solo Dinners

Solo Dinners

Old May 11, 2009, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Solo Dinners

So I am single, and I am looking for some good ideas for quick, easy dinners to make when I am on the run. What kinds of things do you like to make for yourself?
Old May 11, 2009, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
You're in New England so probably not any Trader Joe's in your area but that is where I get my food. Great tasting food and pretty healthy too. Pre-marinated salmon steaks, microwavable frozen foods, etc.
Old May 11, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Cloudship
So I am single, and I am looking for some good ideas for quick, easy dinners to make when I am on the run. What kinds of things do you like to make for yourself?
If you are really in a hurry, you can go to your local Whole Foods or Mollie Stones and buy the "preassembled" stuff like lasagna, pastas, marinated meats, etc... which only require popping into the oven or on heating on the stove.
Old May 11, 2009, 9:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I live in New England and there are five (yes five) trader joes within fifteen or 20 minutes drive of my living room.

If you like shrimp, there is nothing easier. If you have freezer space, cook up something on the weekends and freeze it, five minutes in the microwave and you have a meal that took hours to make but ready in no time at all.

Lots of frozen things (thinner steaks, pork, boneless chicken thighs, and many seafoods) can go directly from freezer to grill and be ready in ten or fifteen minutes.
Old May 12, 2009, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
When time allows - I try to plan getting three individual meals out of a single cooked meal. For example, when grilling a steak, I do enough for a second re-heated meal and a thrid meal of cold marinated steak slices over a salad. For a roasted chicken, a second re-heated meal and then a simple chicken salad for sandwiches.
Old May 12, 2009, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
As mentioned, use your grocery store's prepared foods. I like to supplement with fresh fruits & vegetables. Cut stuff up and put them in portion containers when you buy them, so you can just grab and go as necessary. Pick up a rotisserie chicken every couple of weeks - that thing is good for many a meal and is so easy to just slice up or use with other ingredients. Inexpensive too!

If you're into healthy, pick up some kashi bars or similar (watch the carbs and calories on the energy bars, many of them are not particularly healthy as just a snack) to have on hand with other easy to grab snacks (dried apple snacks from costco is a personal favorite at the moment).
Old May 12, 2009, 2:57 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Zip-Lock, and the George Foreman Grill are your friends.

I make pasta sauce and freeze it into one or two serving portions (doubled zip lock bags or containers). Serve over pasta, potatos, squash, or my personal favorite ... polenta.

packages of individually frozen pieces of meat/fish are great.

I'll cook 2 or 3 different cuts of meat on a Sunday, then just reheat through the week.

One of my friends is actually paying me to make him a batch of homemade pasta sauce and a big layered enchilada to freeze in individual servings.
Old May 12, 2009, 3:11 pm

1. eggs, bacon, toast
2. burger/hotdog, bun
3. any recipe that you find divided by the # of people it was ment to serve...
Old May 12, 2009, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by kingalien
You're in New England so probably not any Trader Joe's in your area but that is where I get my food. Great tasting food and pretty healthy too. Pre-marinated salmon steaks, microwavable frozen foods, etc.
We have quite a few of them, actually. I have had mixed luck - don't like most of their frozen stuff but am addicted to their frozen snickerdoodles as a nibble. I have been a bit more put off since a couple of reports about bad cheese experiences and meat experiences with them. Is it just ours, but have you noticed a lot of their stuff is always just about on the expiration date?

I wish we had more semi-prepared stuff at our markets. We don't have whole foods this far out, but I try and make it to one once a month.

I tend to get on trends - Grilled cheese (with real cheeses and good bread), baked chicken breasts with stuffing, beef and noodle dishes.

I do something with asian noodles (any kind really works) stir fried with bits of chicken meat and heinz 57 sauce. Used to use H&P Curry until that dissapeared.
Old May 12, 2009, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
We have quite a few of them, actually.
Hehe, need to make a mileage run out there so I can be better informed.

I have been a bit more put off since a couple of reports about bad cheese experiences and meat experiences with them. Is it just ours, but have you noticed a lot of their stuff is always just about on the expiration date?
The ones in my area on west coast are well stocked with freshly dated foods.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I like to make a nice stir-fry. Throw in whatever is currently on sale that week. I like broccoli, peppers, asparagus, etc. then just throw in chicken, steak, chicken sausage, etc. Season with a nice teriyaki sauce, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes (my favorite),etc. Maybe put it over some brown rice or whole wheat pasta.

Depending on the amount of veggies and meat you throw in there, you should have enough for at least 2 meals.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
The various warehouse club stores have a good selection of semi-prepared frozen foods, although personally I like to cook from scratch. Some grocery stores have salad bars (pay by weight) that make a great alternative to fast food, and you avoid the problem of having salad items spoil in your fridge before you use them up or while you’re travelling.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:24 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
1 bag of asian style frozen vegetables + 1 pkg top ramen + a little soy sauce/oyster sauce/black bean &garlic sauce = easy (but sodium loaded) stir fry.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:17 pm

You can't beat hash - plus it's a great way to use up roast beef or cold potatoes, and easily made by an ordinary cook.
Bread pudding is a practical way to make use of older bread.
There are frozen turkey breasts.
Omelets are appetizing.
A light, summery dessert is always within reach if you keep a box or two of jello in your cupboards. It's expiration date is usually really good.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Zip-Lock, and the George Foreman Grill are your friends.

I make pasta sauce and freeze it into one or two serving portions (doubled zip lock bags or containers). Serve over pasta, potatos, squash, or my personal favorite ... polenta.

packages of individually frozen pieces of meat/fish are great.

I'll cook 2 or 3 different cuts of meat on a Sunday, then just reheat through the week.

One of my friends is actually paying me to make him a batch of homemade pasta sauce and a big layered enchilada to freeze in individual servings.
+1

If there are meal you like, you may want to invest in 10-12 sealable "sandwich" size containers, aka 23-25 oz. which you can find at a dollar store for the best price, generally 3-4 for $1. A recommended protein, carb, and vegetable serving generally fit in these containers

Then get the recipes you like and just spend a weekend afternoon and cook. Freeze them immediately, then nightly while you prepare your salad, microwave the entree, generally 5-7 minutes. Depending on what you like to eat, this could take under 3 hours including preparation. If you like beef, then definitely undercook. Now I generally take 5-6 hours to do all my meals, but I freeze 24+ meals at a time.

Last edited by csufabel; May 13, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.