Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
If I am travelling by myself, I tend to have one meal a day--usually breakfast--at McDonalds or Subway (when available) to cut down on costs.

I get the cultural food in the evening!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:51 pm

Smile Mc D's

I rarely eat fast food in the US, but pancakes and scrambled eggs from McDonalds after a week in HK were heaven sent!! HEAVEN SENT!
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:04 am

Starbuck's in Singapore. Does that count?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Starbuck's in Singapore. Does that count?

Yes because you should have gone to a Kopi Tiam
Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I eat KFC in Czech Republic any chance I get since the switch to TransFat Free oils in USA KFCs gives me migraines. Also shared an awful McDonalds QuarterPounder in Italy with the Wife .
Old Apr 15, 2009, 8:53 pm

Fast food overseas

Oh, yes! A McDonald's in France (Nice, as I recall) was absolutely wonderful.
Same with a pizza in Hong Kong after ten days in China. Hard Rock Cafe in London was a taste of home as was Starbuck's for breakfast roll and coffee.

There must be a reason why the US fast food franchises are so popular overseas and I don't feel a bit guilty about going to them.

It's hard to find a decent breakfast place in London that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. Same with France for lunch.

As for Hong Kong, after ten days in China with nothing but local foods, it was wonderful to eat something that didn't bark, crawl or look at you fishy-eyed. They will never learn how to really do a decent fried egg in China; it's just not in their vocabulary. The pizza was a wonderful antidote!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 6:39 am

Programs: AA PLT - 1 MM
Being from Argentina, is normal for me to eat here, but I've also been at Mc Donalds in the USA (being lots of Mc's here), in France, Spain, Chile and other countries..
On the other hand, I've been to steak restaurants at several places in the USA although I eat steak easily 5 times a week here (almost our national food).
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
I have a few times -

once in AMS - only thing closest to the NH Schiphol was a McDonalds...so breakfast there....

A subway sandwich in Stratford Upon Avon

and once McD's veggie burger in India (loved it - shame McD's sells it in UK, India and possibly elsewhere -but not in the US)
Old Apr 23, 2009, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I've eaten at McDonald's and KFC in London. I was 13 at the time and didn't know better food existed.

Now that I'm almost 10 years older, I realie the joys of eating a nice meal when travelling abroad. Can't wait to have some real Italian food in Rome in a week.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I almost succumbed to the smell of Burger King at MAN. Especially when I saw they sold beer. But, I opted for a sandwich and real ale at the bar. The sandwich was awful, but the ale was excellent.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I'll confess, I am guilty.

I have lived in Germany for sometime and do eat at American fast food joints when traveling, just because they are, well, fast.

McD's in Kaiserslautern(several of times a year), somewhere in Spain.
KFC in Mainz about 3x in 5 years
Pizza Hut in Kaiserslautern x2 in 5 years, just to keep the kids quiet.

I prefer a good Imbiss over American fast food, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Oh, there is a great hai Imbiss around the corner from the house. That is our fav on Sunday after church.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I am all about experiencing the "food of the land". While on a RTW trip with my brother this past summer, we almost got in a fight right there in the mall when he wanted to eat Dairy Queen in Singapore (I believe). All I wanted was a little chicken rice. Is that too much for a little brother to ask??? We settled on burgers, fries, and a blizzard (if i remember correctly) from DQ.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:46 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Yes McD in London, Tokyo

Pizza Hut when I was young with the family in Swindon

KFC in India
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:13 pm

The first time I went out of the country when I was a teenager, I land in London, and am disappointed the first thing I see upon exiting the gate was a Dunkin' Donuts. I'm from MA, where there's a DD on every corner.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by sbtier
The first time I went out of the country when I was a teenager, I land in London, and am disappointed the first thing I see upon exiting the gate was a Dunkin' Donuts. I'm from MA, where there's a DD on every corner.
I've even had Dunkin Donuts in Thailand, and yet I can't get *bleep*ing Dunkin Donuts in Northern California. Where's the *bleep*ing sense in that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.