Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 6:10 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
When Ronald was doing a wai in Chiang Mai I just had to partake after several days of not daring to ask what animals I had eaten.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 6:41 am
In Memoriam

Mickey D's in China, Japan, France, UK, Germany, Korea, Mexico, Israel...

BK in Japan and UK (?)

Pizza Hut in Korea

KFC in Taiwan
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by SirJman
I try to get something local at McDonalds from each foreign country I visit, its a fun little thing I like to do when travelling. Though, I've only recently started taking photos -
Taipei - Spicy Chicken + Corn Soup
HK - McWings + Corn
Beijing - Grilled Chicken + Aloe Tea
Beijing - Pies
McArabia (Chicken) - Dubai (Had McArabia Beef in Beirut)
Chicken BigMac - Cairo
Fish Fingers - Cairo
McVeggie Burger w/ Cheese - Delhi
Big Tasty - Amman (Largest burger ever)
McBulgogi Burger + Chocolate Triangle + Pasta Salad - Pusan, Korea
Shrimp Rice Burger + Corn Soup - Taipei 2007
Shrimp Burger (no rice) - Narita
'Pollo Premium'- Quito
Tuna Salad + Veggie Burger (new style) - Doha
Green Tea McFlurry - Seoul
Chicken Fiesta + Curry Dip - London
Big Bacon Burger - London
Big Jalapeo Burger + Cheese Sticks - Prague
Crispy McBacon + Curly Chips - Rome
Spinach + Cheese Croquettes - Rome
Thailand - Cheese Melt Fries + Green Curry Burger
HK - Double Mala Spicy Grilled Chicken
HK - Pork and Macaroni Soup (Breakfast)
Guangzhou - ChinaMac (BigMac with Carrot, Radish + Cucumber)
Malaysia - Spicy Malaysian Beef Wrap
Japan - Pork Burger
Ontario - Pizza
Quebec - McPoutine
Newfoundland - McLobster
Great post man.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA
McDonalds in Lahore, Pakistan after a month and a half in the mountains. I saw a red golden arches sign on a street light, grabbed an auto rickshaw and told the driver "Follow those signs!"
And the Kentucky Fried Chicken in Peshawar a few years later after another long spell up high.
I understand both were burned down during the cartoon riots. Wonder if they were rebuilt.

Also the Pizza Hut in Chennai, two nights in a row!
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:26 pm

I'm really confused by the Korean obsession with green tea. They think everything tastes better with green tea. I don't think it's even Korean. However, green tea frozen yogurt is actually pretty good.

I've seen meat marinated in green tea in Korea.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 8:58 pm

I try to get something local at McDonalds from each foreign country I visit, its a fun little thing I like to do when travelling. Though, I've only recently started taking photos -
Taipei - Spicy Chicken + Corn Soup
HK - McWings + Corn
Beijing - Grilled Chicken + Aloe Tea
Beijing - Pies
McArabia (Chicken) - Dubai (Had McArabia Beef in Beirut)
Chicken BigMac - Cairo
Fish Fingers - Cairo
McVeggie Burger w/ Cheese - Delhi
Big Tasty - Amman (Largest burger ever)
McBulgogi Burger + Chocolate Triangle + Pasta Salad - Pusan, Korea
Shrimp Rice Burger + Corn Soup - Taipei 2007
Shrimp Burger (no rice) - Narita
'Pollo Premium'- Quito
Tuna Salad + Veggie Burger (new style) - Doha
Green Tea McFlurry - Seoul
Chicken Fiesta + Curry Dip - London
Big Bacon Burger - London
Big Jalapeo Burger + Cheese Sticks - Prague
Crispy McBacon + Curly Chips - Rome
Spinach + Cheese Croquettes - Rome
Thailand - Cheese Melt Fries + Green Curry Burger
HK - Double Mala Spicy Grilled Chicken
HK - Pork and Macaroni Soup (Breakfast)
Guangzhou - ChinaMac (BigMac with Carrot, Radish + Cucumber)
Malaysia - Spicy Malaysian Beef Wrap
Japan - Pork Burger
Ontario - Pizza
Quebec - McPoutine
Newfoundland - McLobster

A couple more to add to my list

MaLa Spicy Grilled Chicken + Curly Chips - Hong Kong 2009 (its a double if you get it past 9pm)

Affogato (Ice Cream + Fudge + Coffee) - Seoul Korea 2009

Chocolate Brownie McFlurry - Rome 2009
Old Mar 23, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
A couple more to add to my list

MaLa Spicy Grilled Chicken + Curly Chips - Hong Kong 2009 (its a double if you get it past 9pm)

Affogato (Ice Cream + Fudge + Coffee) - Seoul Korea 2009

Chocolate Brownie McFlurry - Rome 2009
During one of my MUC runs, I wound up at the McD's near the S-Bahn, under the Hauptbahnhof. Although they don't serve brekkie (I was jonesing for a Sausage McMuffin w/Egg! ), I saw that they were serving the legendary and rare McRib! Looked like a regular item too...
Old Mar 23, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I spend the summer months in Ireland. I must admit that I sometimes go to McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Burger King and KFC. When I say sometimes, it is rare, maybe once a summer. I participate with Scouts Ireland and the Irish kids always want to try and drag me to one of those placies when we are on trips to Dublin or elsewhere.

My favorite fast food joint in Ireland is Eddie Rockets.

I was in Italy for 4 and a half weeks one year and just could not handle another pasta meal or pizza. So I left the tour group and went down the street, turned the corner and went into McDonald's. Just had to have something to make me remember American fast food.

Annually I go to London to meet with friends of a TV series fan club. They always end the day with dinner at Pizza Hut. I am not impressed, but what can I do? Does this count?

My son and I went into an A&W Drive In while we were in Malaysia. The line was soooo long that we did not order anything. Maybe we were not traiters!

In Lisboa my son and I walked several blocks to get a special pizza deal at Pizza Hut.

Years ago my wife had to stop at a McDonald's outside of Cambridge, UK. They advertised a Marinara Burger and she had to try it.

We did the Burger King in Algarve portion of Portugal.

In the UK the fast food place we eat at sometimes is Little Chef. They are usually all we can find on the road late at night that is still open.

That is about the limit of my embarrasment.

Last edited by missydarlin; Mar 23, 2009 at 4:53 pm Reason: multiple posts on same subject
Old Mar 23, 2009, 4:58 pm

McDonald's in London.

KFC, Dominos, and Hooters in Taiwan.

KFC in Grand Cayman.

Very interesting experience. Nothing at all like in the States.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
We went to PEK about 10 years ago. Our idea of chinese food did not match with what they had there. Ended up visiting Pizza Hut once and McDonalds twice during our 7 day stay.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Yes, I posted as I could think of them.

The one that had a big delay, was calling the wife to ask her where we were for one of them.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I have done so. If the other stuff I find at that place don't look too attractive, then I won't mind going inside KFC or others. Or if those chains have special menus that you won't find elsewhere in other countries, then it becomes more of an incentive.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
I do have to say - when you get to that "I NEED comfort food!" moment and then end up surprised it can be very disappointing.

The fact that coca cola tastes different in different places starts to drive me crazy but I tend to adapt or even switch brands to find one I like. However, walking into a McD's and getting something I thought I knew and then having some weird sauce or it just generally tasting bizarre makes my heart weep. I usually get over it quickly with the local brews and then am official out of my culture shock stage, but it is quite sad for those few moments.

Also.. Subway (restaurant, as in sammiches) in London = What the heck? Seriously.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by KNRG
Also.. Subway (restaurant, as in sammiches) in London = What the heck? Seriously.
Ah, that reminds me!

I ate (not my choice) at a Subway in Vienna. Like most Subways in the U.S. (and unlike most other restaurants in Europe), the drink fountain was out front in the middle of the eating area.

I distinctly remember walking up to the drink fountain, grabbing my soda (not sure if there was ice or not, given how stingy European restaurants are with ice! ), and seeing a little label plastered right above the dispensers--in English--"NO FREE REFILLS".

I'm thinking when they first opened, hordes of American tourists came in and sucked their soda syrup tanks dry with all the refills...
Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: DL Gold
I think the most embarrassing (but satisfying) fast food moment overseas I've had was after 4 months living alone in Germany, I met up with 5 or 6 American friends at a Pizza Hut in Munich and we all feasted on the all you can eat pizza buffet. The main draw, though, was free drink refills. I don't think i've ever felt more like a stereotypical American

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.