Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Well some times you just get tired of eating the same foreign food over and over every day.

In Italy it was great to eat Italian for every meal for about 14 days and then you start wanting something different, on the 20th day I broke down and looked for the nearest anything american restaurant and unfortunately it was a McDonald's.

I spend my summers in Ireland or England. My friends there frequent Pizza Hut and Burger King. I don't care for Burger King but I do have to eat with my friends.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by alanw
They're still a long way from adopting the fast-food culture, though. We waited 18 minutes to order (there was one family of 3 in front of us) and when the girl plunked down the half-full cup or warm, flat Coke we were informed that they have no ice today.
Count yourself lucky. The McDonald's near my home in Paris once ran out of Coke. It was, for a while, the worst-managed McDonald's I had ever been in – your 18 minute wait to order would have been short in comparison.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Forgot to mention Mr. Donut in Japan. Yes, you can get doughnuts, which I don't really care for, but I prefer the only-in-Japan treats such as the curry pie and the sweet potato pie, both of which resemble a McDonald's apple pie...only, you know, with curry or sweet potato puree.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:19 am

Auntie Ann's is my favorite when traveling overseas. The pretzels are smaller than they are in the US, which makes them easier to justify IMHO.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:28 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Whenever I go to Singapore on business, they usually take me out practically every night for these huge multi-course Chinese meals with lots of "interesting" dishes. They'll throw in a Malayasian or Indonesian meal for variety. Lunch? Usually congee with pigs liver, snout, ear, or what-have-you.

Last time I went, I stopped off in Hong Kong for a couple of nights on the way back and I ate at McDonalds and Spaghetti House 'cause I just couldn't face another Chinese meal.

On other travels, I'll duck into a McDonald's simply because I know I'll find a clean bathroom there.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:24 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Burger King Whopper in a train station in MUC.
Three nights ago at 4 in the morning for me. Open all night and it was busy. ^
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:44 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
The only time I have eaten McDonalds or its ilk abroad was on a trip to New York. Eating a hamburger seemed to be the price you had to pay to use a lavatory. No wonder Americans are so fat.

Anyway, I didn't feel guilty as I don't think there was great food available elsewhere that I was missing out on.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 1:35 am

I've had Krispy Kreme in South Korea-I hadn't had it in like a year and I REALLY had to have one. I think I went through a dozen overnight with a friend.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:37 am
Suspended

McDonalds' breakfasts are quite decent and consistent in quality throughout the world. I've had them in many places, most recently, Argentina, Peru and Hong Kong.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:36 pm

On a biz trip, I ate at a McDonalds in Bangalore, in the food court of the tech campus where my company was. They had the best veggie burger I have ever had! Yum yum yum.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:57 am

I try to get something local at McDonalds from each foreign country I visit, its a fun little thing I like to do when travelling. Though, I've only recently started taking photos -
Taipei - Spicy Chicken + Corn Soup
HK - McWings + Corn
Beijing - Grilled Chicken + Aloe Tea
Beijing - Pies
McArabia (Chicken) - Dubai (Had McArabia Beef in Beirut)
Chicken BigMac - Cairo
Fish Fingers - Cairo
McVeggie Burger w/ Cheese - Delhi
Big Tasty - Amman (Largest burger ever)
McBulgogi Burger + Chocolate Triangle + Pasta Salad - Pusan, Korea
Shrimp Rice Burger + Corn Soup - Taipei 2007
Shrimp Burger (no rice) - Narita
'Pollo Premium'- Quito
Tuna Salad + Veggie Burger (new style) - Doha
Green Tea McFlurry - Seoul
Chicken Fiesta + Curry Dip - London
Big Bacon Burger - London
Big Jalapeño Burger + Cheese Sticks - Prague
Crispy McBacon + Curly Chips - Rome
Spinach + Cheese Croquettes - Rome
Thailand - Cheese Melt Fries + Green Curry Burger
HK - Double Mala Spicy Grilled Chicken
HK - Pork and Macaroni Soup (Breakfast)
Guangzhou - ChinaMac (BigMac with Carrot, Radish + Cucumber)
Malaysia - Spicy Malaysian Beef Wrap
Japan - Pork Burger
Ontario - Pizza
Quebec - McPoutine
Newfoundland - McLobster

Last edited by SirJman; Jan 29, 2009 at 7:15 am
Old Jan 31, 2009, 7:48 am

Programs: United 1K GS, USAIR, Delta
I have two confessions.

1. Walk to McDonalds 1 morning in Sing for a Lime Juice and a chicken sausage mcmuffin.

2. Eat Burger King at HKG on the way back every time without fail. I will be inline around 11:00 on March 4th so stop by if in the area. ;-)
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, BA Silver, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
I try to be good about eating local food, but I do grab a little McDs sometimes if I know it is something I can get quick, cheap and reliably.

I like that in many parts of Latin America, McD's has really neat ice cream cafes with fun tasting deserts, and that a McNifica (at least used to be) better than the quarter pounder, IMHO.

I have also had Dunkin' Donuts abroad (in Spain) which is really such a waste since the coffee and pastries are so good there.

Love SirJman's list above and may have to start doing something like that myself I'm already keeping a listing of the price of a cup of starbucks in different spots domestically and globally: http://thepurplepassport.blogspot.co...abel/Starbucks

I think Starbucks is a bit like fast food, coffee style (and, um, the price of an entire meal at McD's).
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:30 am

Sometimes after a long day on travel I just want some McDs and to relax. I've done McDs in Germany and England. It's the American way :-)
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Closest I have come is by eating Swissmeal in Geneva, but it is a FORMER burger king and their menu now is much better than a BK. Interesting breads they have as well.

Not to mention it is way more costly, 30 francs for two meals with drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.