Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Favorite cheeses / where to find?" thread

Consolidated "Favorite cheeses / where to find?" thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Most of us are familliar with a goat cheese from france called Montrachet.It is produced from dried milk and frozen curds and never sees human hand till it is unpacked at the market.And yet phoney food snobs think it is someting great.
You are so right - I'd always thought of fresh goat cheese "logs" as being Montrachet-style. After your comment, I actually found some Montrachet and tried it. ICK. It tasted processed and horrible. Like the goat cheese version of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese powder. I've even lived in France, and I'm quite sure I never tasted this Montrachet crap before! Is this just something they export???

I'll switch back to the fresh Texas goat cheese logs that taste infinitely better! Who knew you could learn about cheese on FT? ^
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A vote here for my favourite cheese (which hasn't been mentioned so far)

Appenzeller - at any maturity.

And when I want something younger and fresher tasting
Tomme des Pyrnes

I'm currently eating part of a huge slab of Cornish Yarg - it's very agreeable.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Ooooooh I do like Appenzeller also,it's been a while....
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Havarti is a must for your wine tasting tray

Definitely add Havarti to your list, as well as a good imported smoked provelone (Brazil produces excellent provelone).
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:49 pm

Now, I didn't like the Havarti I've tried - albiet grocery-store Havarti. I didn't care for the texture.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: Independent
Best Place for Cheese

Cheesaholic here. I am looking for the best cheese plate or cheese cart in the US. Does not have to be a fancy restaurant, probably better if it wasn't, actually.

My favorite so far is Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA. It's more of a bar with food than anything else, but a huge selection of craft beer and a pretty good selection of interesting cheeses.

edit: I am definitely looking for a restaurant. While I love visiting cheese shops while I travel, I find it real fdifficult to really enjoy it in a hotel room without any kitchen facilities.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank God for a consolidated cheese thread.

Given the proliferation of all the "Where to find my favorite _____" cheese threads in this forum, it's great to be able to focus on the more original questions that pop up here.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by Djlawman
Since we are making specific cheese recommendations, I'll add my favorites (which can be found at fromages.com ):

Comte (I think the best hard cheese in France)

Bleu d'Auvergne -- a great blue cheese

Epoisses de Bourgogne -- considered by many the king of cheeses

Reblochon - extra creamy

Selles sur Cher -- great goat cheese, particularly heated just a bit to melt it on a cracker (12-15 seconds in the microwave)

Saint Nectaire -- just a great all around cheese.

And just for some variety, I'm a real fan of Manchego (which has to have some quince with it!)

And it's generally red wine for me with my cheeses.
I do believe we may be cheese twins. You've nailed all my favourites above!

Epoisses is my absolute favourite, and comte is just gorgeous with a glass of vin jaune and some toasted walnuts.

Manchego? Oh god yes, but nothing under 12 months please!

Add to the list Brin d'Amour, a tasty sheep's milk cheese from Corsica and I am set.

I will disagree with the red wine comment though - must be white, except for the burgundy with my Epoisses

In Ottawa, you can find all these cheeses and more at Nicastro's in the Glebe or Westboro. In Montreal you can hit up Yannick's in the Mile End, or Fromagerie Hamel in JTM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: Independent
All this talk about your favorite cheese is great, BUT, it is terribly unhelpful to anyone actually looking to find it.

I am not looking for a specific cheese, and in particular NOT looking for where to buy cheese. When traveling that is pretty inconvenient. What I want to find is a good place that serves cheese.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Cloudship; Apr 22, 2010 at 6:35 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cloudship
What I want to find is a good place that serves cheese.

Any ideas?
If ever in the DC area head over to Screwtop Wine Bar in Arlington (Clarendon Metro stop on the Orange line) where they serve some of the biggest cheese plates for a reasonable price. The selection changes frequently.

http://www.screwtopwinebar.com/home.htm
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Cloudship
edit: I am definitely looking for a restaurant. While I love visiting cheese shops while I travel, I find it real fdifficult to really enjoy it in a hotel room without any kitchen facilities.
Have you tried Gany Danko in San Francisco? Dunno whether you can enjoy the cheese course without the meal though. (I seemed to remember a tiny bar at the front but it's been ages.) Here's the cheese list: http://www.garydanko.com/site/cheeselst.html. Another spot that comes to mind is Grammercy Tavern, NYC.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 23, 2010 at 5:09 pm
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
http://veldhuizencheese.com/index.ph

I buy the cheeses from the farm direct, wonderful!

they have quite a few that are not even listed here.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
For me best cheeses are

1) Parmeggiano Reggiano
2) Maasdam (dutsch)
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k
My favorite cheese: oregonzola http://www.roguecreamery.com/product.asp?specific=109

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.