Wiki Posts
Search

Best Fish and Chips in United States?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: UAL, HHonors, Amtrak
Thumbs up Cod fish stocks world-wide as well as locally have been over fished

Great tips - planning trip to NYC and was proud to see this:
A sad state of affairs indeed, but I applaud their upfront messaging of moving away from Cod; I'll have to make the switch too, but I wish I didn't have to.

http://www.asaltandbattery.com/

Cooking With A Conscience
Due to the current environmental climate and the world-wide depletion of fish stocks, A SALT & BATTERY is switching to locally grown sustainable produce.

Cod fish stocks world-wide as well as locally have been over fished in recent years. The UK has already switched from Cod to Pollock (both the texture and taste are almost identical).

By switching from Cod to Pollock (which, unlike Cod, is a sustainable locally caught fish) we will more fully support our local economy,

With exception to those few imported items on our menu the utmost priority will be given to locally harvested produce e.g. potatoes from Long Island and fish caught by local day-boat fishermen.

We believe the advantages will far outweigh any disadvantages and we hope you, our respected customer, will agree with our decision.

We would love to hear what you think – send us your thoughts to [email protected]
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:15 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

Most fish and chip shops in the UK & Ireland moved to pollock (or coley) years ago and very few people noticed. Really not much difference if you're going to batter and deep fry it.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:35 am

The best fish and chips I've ever eaten I've gotten here -

http://www.wcyc.net/

They used to make them with shark - damn good stuff - dcman2
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
Perhaps some of you have heard of this place. The best I've had was at Fish in Sausalito California, just north of San Fran. The fish was crispy but not greasy, and served with a large bottle of malt vinegar.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Best Fish and Chips I had in a restaurant ever was at the Black Dog Tavern at Martha's Vineyard, MA. Scrod.

I make my own using fresh cod and a spiced beer batter and thin mandolin cut chips and there is no comparison. But the fish is around $15 a pound, which is ridiculous for a restaurant to serve...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.