Reload this Page >

Best Fish and Chips in United States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Fish and Chips in United States?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by printingray
Most of the Americans like Fish and Chips. I found NJ the best for quality fish and chippy. They offer some cool stuff like chowders, fish tacos etc. Some offer burgers, mash steak pie and chips.

The "chips" look fairly rank though. I can never understand why they're almost always treated as an afterthought - just something to grab out of the freezer and chuck in a fryer.

If a restaurant wants to sell battered fish and accompany it with fries (of whatever quality) then that's their prerogative - and it doesn't necessarily make it a bad meal, but "fish and chips" is a British dish where the correct preparation and cooking method of the chips is just as important as getting the fish right.

I'm sure most establishments would at least try to make some sort of effort if they had any other type of ethnic dish on the menu. You wouldn't just go and thrown fish sticks in a fish taco would you, or chicken nuggets in a Pad Thai?
Old May 15, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Cape Cod fish and chips in Cotati Ca. (sonoma county) is very good. Pricey but good.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Jalinth
Victoria, BC has some very good fish and chips places - probably because some of the recipes haven't changed since 1950 . Two favourites are Haultain and Old British when I visit but I'm sure others exist.
I'll have to try them both.

I love the setting of Willows Galley, right near the water.
Old May 18, 2012, 5:59 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I just remembered being very impressed with the Fish and Chips at Epcot's Great Brittan Pub - especially outside at the kiosk, served up in the authentic rolled-into-a-cone newspaper. Perhaps it was because I was absolutely starving, but I thought that these were terrific.
Old May 20, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by User Name

I'm sure most establishments would at least try to make some sort of effort if they had any other type of ethnic dish on the menu. You wouldn't just go and thrown fish sticks in a fish taco would you, or chicken nuggets in a Pad Thai?
haha.. you would be surprised.
Old May 20, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Best Fish & Chips in the USA

Will be served at my house tonight. Haddock fillets about 1.5 X 5 X 3/4" thick, dipped in seasoned egg, rolled in panko crumbs, then fried in 3/4" of corn oil in a cast iron skillet. The chips will be skin-on, wedge-cut potatoes, tossed with oil, salted and peppered, then baked on a cookie sheet for about 50 minutes at 400. My homemade coleslaw rounds out the feast.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by braslvr
Will be served at my house tonight. Haddock fillets about 1.5 X 5 X 3/4" thick, dipped in seasoned egg, rolled in panko crumbs, then fried in 3/4" of corn oil in a cast iron skillet. The chips will be skin-on, wedge-cut potatoes, tossed with oil, salted and peppered, then baked on a cookie sheet for about 50 minutes at 400. My homemade coleslaw rounds out the feast.
Nothing can compete the homemade.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:08 pm

My vote is for the mahi mahi fish 'n chips at the Paia Fish Market on Maui.

Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: JetBlue, Frontier
The Run of the Mill in Saco, ME. Best I've ever had. Great beers, too.
(Haddock, natch.)
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:58 am

Best fish in chips in Cape Cod, MA is Cooke's--Hyannis location. Their onion rings are really good too, and they give you a few with the haddock platter.

Best in MA on the North Shore is Lobster Bob's in Newburyport. (The fish anyway. The chips are average.)

I haven't tried Legal's spicy fish and chips, so will give that a try soon.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL platinum, AS MVP gold
Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman
No contest - Humpy's in Anchorage! beer battered halibut and chips and a Portage Glacier Porter on tap
Humpy's has opened a location at Anchorage International Airport on the "B" concorse across from the Delta gates. Great place to fill up befor one of those long, foodless red-eyes to the lower 48.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
My vote is for the mahi mahi fish 'n chips at the Paia Fish Market on Maui.

That looks amazing and is my idea of the perfect Fish and Chips plate. ^
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:49 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by tcl
My favourite is the Portuguese Holy Ghost Society's Lenten Fish Fry. Stonington is home of the last fishing fleet in CT, so the fish is really fresh and they use an ultralight batter that you can taste the fish through. As Stonington is also famous for sea scallops, I recommend the fish & scallop combo

Some other favourites for the rest of the year (mostly during the summer season) are Costello's in Noank, Evelyn's in Tiverton, Cove Fish market in Mystic and Sea Swirl in Mystic. Unfortunately most of these shacks are not 100% dependable as it really depends on who's in the kitchen and who made that batch of batter.

Further north along the coast my favourite in the elbow of the Cape is Sesuit Harbour Cafe. It has amazing water views and is located behind the Dennis Yacht Club.
Just got word that the Stonington Portuguese Holy Ghost Society's Fall Fish Fry will be starting Sept 28th It'll be held every Friday from the 28th through the Friday before Thanksgiving and then again for Lent. I highly recommend the Fish and Scallop Combo. In the same area, Costello's is closed for the season, but Abbott's is still open on weekends until Columbus Day weekend, Sea Swirl tentatively too on the same schedule. Sadly I can't recommend Cove anymore as the 2x I tried it this season has been extremely disappointing
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I'm a big +1 for Abbott's
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
This isn't the US, but... well, close enough.

There's a place in Toronto called Reliable that I absolutely love. I've been going there for years and years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.