FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Best Fish and Chips in United States? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/684050-best-fish-chips-united-states.html)

IAHflyer Apr 18, 2007 9:50 am

I had some great fish'n'chips at Durty Nellys in Perth WA !

Ghery Apr 18, 2007 4:10 pm

Some of the best around here are at the Airport Cafe at PWT. Of course, you'll have to fly your own plane (or, shudder, drive) to get there. No commercial service. Get a window seat and grade landings while enjoying your dinner. :D

cyberdad Apr 20, 2007 3:31 pm

As long as we're saying U.S. only, I'll go with the Irish Rover in Louisville, KY (of all places).

Light, flaky, flavorful fish. Crisp, tasty golden fries, and perhaps the best soda bread anywhere. Friendly welcoming atmosphere as well.

Who'd have thunk it?

Its on Frankfort about midway between downtown and St. Matthews.

gardener Apr 20, 2007 4:29 pm

I had the best fish and chips of my life at a roadside stand called Hot Fat on Monhegan Island off the coast of Maine. Summers only I believe.

shirts6 Apr 23, 2007 2:13 pm

Ivars in Seattle is best, order from the open air stand by the ferries.

cyberdad Apr 23, 2007 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by shirts6 (Post 7627944)
Ivars in Seattle is best, order from the open air stand by the ferries.

Agree they have great stuff.

Not quite the same, but you can also get your Ivar's fix at Sea-Tac airport.

IceTrojan Apr 24, 2007 3:40 am

Originally Posted by cyberdad (Post 7628063)
Not quite the same, but you can also get your Ivar's fix at Sea-Tac airport.

Had it on Saturday in fact, it was alright... but the one by the Pier was much better.

Best EVER was some shack on Cape Cod, just before you got to Provincetown. I finished it off like it was my last meal.... and I don't like seafood :eek:

Generally, my favorite construction is beer-battered cod, with LOTS of tartar. Never could get behind the vinegar thing.

RockyMtnScotsman Apr 24, 2007 5:10 pm

No contest - Humpy's in Anchorage! beer battered halibut and chips and a Portage Glacier Porter on tap :)

RockyMtnScotsman Apr 24, 2007 5:11 pm

No contest - Humpy's in Anchorage! beer battered halibut / chips and a Portage Glacier Porter on tap :)

jtkauai Apr 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by IAHflyer (Post 7601510)
I had some great fish'n'chips at Durty Nellys in Perth WA !

perth wa, as in western australia. that threw me, as i didn't know any perth, washington. i'll go with ivars.

Jumpgate Apr 29, 2007 2:32 pm

No contest. A Salt and Battery on Greenwich & 13th in NYC.

I've eaten fish and chips from San Diego to Seattle to Anchorage to the Keys and nobody makes it better than A Salt and Battery.

snowdogs Apr 29, 2007 4:19 pm

The best I've ever had was at the KP Diner on Rt. 44 in Rehoboth, Mass. Dipped in corn meal and then fried. Not at all greasy. Unfortunately, the KP closed last year.

tkey75 Apr 29, 2007 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jumpgate (Post 7659138)
No contest. A Salt and Battery on Greenwich & 13th in NYC.

I've eaten fish and chips from San Diego to Seattle to Anchorage to the Keys and nobody makes it better than A Salt and Battery.

I'll have to try that place. My personal favorite has always been another NYC venue, Maggie's Place.

unagi1 Apr 29, 2007 6:08 pm

My two favorites, in order of preference, both in Essex, MA (about 45min N of Boston):

1. Farnham's
2. Woodman's

FauxPas Apr 29, 2007 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 7631109)
Generally, my favorite construction is beer-battered cod, with LOTS of tartar. Never could get behind the vinegar thing.

Vinegar.... malt vinegar...... mmmmmm!!!!

Why don't Americans use vinegar? For fish or for fries? :)