FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Your personal food rules..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/578818-your-personal-food-rules.html)

jimcfsus Jul 15, 2006 7:25 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
27. Biscuits and gravy (another excellent thing given to us by the South) is (are?) to be eaten only when there is sufficient black pepper (about 1/4 of shaker of pepper per biscuit) available to top it.

Freshly coarse ground black pepper is the best. That's the reason I will often bring home B&G from Hardees instead of eating it there. Put them out on a real plate (as opposed to the styrofoam carton) and grind a ton of pepper on it.

And no other biscuits than Hardees. I haven't found anyone else's that even comes close. And if you get a batch that's well done so the outside has a nice crunch (but not burned or overdone), that's the bomb!

Now I'm going to have to think about going out before breakfast ends this morning. ;)

PresRDC Jul 15, 2006 8:52 am

Another few:

11. The best breakfast ever is a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on a buttered hard roll from a NY deli. Just eat them sparingly -- they'll kill you.

12. Ice cream doesn't need to be loaded with various bits and pieces. It doesn't get better than Haagen-Dazs vanilla.

13. Cooking breakfast on the grill rules.

14. Grow an herb garden.

15. Nothing is better than al fresco dining on a summer evening.

16. Dessert does not need to be fancy. It gets no better than fresh baked chocolate chip cookies (no nuts) and/or vanilla ice cream.

17. When eating in a "Chinese" restaurant in China, make sure you know exactly what you are eating. I love the Chinese, but they eat some nasty stuff.

18. No matter how hard they try, don't let an Australian talk you into trying vegemite.

19. Steak should be cooked rare, if, for no other reason, you can reheat the leftovers and not have it be overcooked.

20. Prime rib should be red in the center and brown around the perimeter.

Duhey2 Jul 15, 2006 9:06 am

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Another few:

11. The best breakfast ever is a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on a buttered hard roll from a NY deli.

I've introduced my Texas friends and in-laws to the fried egg sandwich. Now they love breakfast at my house on the weekends (with mimosas ;) ). To that end, one of my first purchases for the house was a griddle unit for our island cooktop.

BTW - I appreciate your use of the term "hard roll". Trying to buy hard rolls here is a futile effort....they're called kaiser rolls.

jimcfsus Jul 15, 2006 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Duhey2
BTW - I appreciate your use of the term "hard roll". Trying to buy hard rolls here is a futile effort....they're called kaiser rolls.

I agree, Duhey. Those are definitely impossible to find below the mason-dixon. Same applies to good crusty Italian/French bread and good crusty rye bread.

Tennisbum Jul 15, 2006 9:21 am

Another few:
14. Grow an herb garden.

Yes. It's wonderful to have fresh herbs to eat, and even lovely just to work in- you get all the lovely herb-y aromas as you weed between the plants.

20. Prime rib should be red in the center and brown around the perimeter.

Positively crunchy on the outside, rare and juicy inside.

Tennisbum Jul 15, 2006 9:24 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I could definitely dine with Tennisbum and cblaisd ^

You'll bring the Malomars? ^

JHattery Jul 15, 2006 10:42 am

2) "New England" or "Boston" (an iteration usually found west of the Continental Divide) clam chowder shall NEVER, EVER contain carrots, pimentos, or any vegetables whose colors are found in the ROY part of the spectrum;

I'd be far more disturbed by ingredients from the GBIV part! :eek:

obscure2k Jul 15, 2006 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tennisbum
You'll bring the Malomars? ^

You bring the tuna ^

DavidDTW Jul 15, 2006 1:01 pm

Since someone mentioned Wonder bread, I thought of another rule to add to my list:

No bread that sticks to the roof of your mouth.

indufan Jul 15, 2006 2:30 pm

I've introduced my Texas friends and in-laws to the fried egg sandwich.

They didn't previously know what a fried egg sandwich is? Fried egg on really fresh white bread...oh how good. Optionally with bacon.

redbeard911 Jul 15, 2006 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
They didn't previously know what a fried egg sandwich is? Fried egg on really fresh white bread...oh how good. Optionally with bacon.

I loooooove fried egg and cheese sandwiches. ^

opus17 Jul 15, 2006 5:45 pm

My wife, a gourmet cook who can prepare fantastic dishes based on German, Italian, Indonesian, Indian, Thai, French, Chineese and Middle eastern cuisine, likes to make up a pot a pasta, put ketchup on it, and have it with a glass of milk. Totally grosses me out

Tennisbum Jul 15, 2006 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
You bring the tuna ^

Mr. Tb loads his carry-on with every time we return from France. I'll save some for our lunch. :)

dannyr Jul 15, 2006 6:48 pm

I don't eat toast for the simple rule that I don't like things that have been cooked twice or reheated.

obscure2k Jul 15, 2006 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by dannyr
I don't eat toast for the simple rule that I don't like things that have been cooked twice or reheated.

No toast :confused: Good grief, how do you eat an egg salad sandwich?