Your personal food rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
i have a few food rules:

at home
* eggs cooked in butter and/or bacon grease - i never use oil or spray.

* load up on free breakfast spreads - i can the skip lunch and go directly to dinner. Sometimes, i'll grab an extra piece of fresh fruit or a pastry for lunch or a snack. Saves money if i'm on a budget.
absolutely =1
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
...Eggs are evil...
I've never heard that before. What about them are evil? I'm curious. Please tell.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Part of the problem with eggs is the smell of them when they're cooking- it just turns my stomach. And part of it is the 'egginess' that I find to be unpleasant. It's a food aversion that I've had since about age 4, and I know it's totally irrational, but it just is, even as I recognize the value of the egg as a building block in many other things I do like.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
When I really think about it, eggs are probably my favorite food. There are very few things that I can eat every single day without ever getting tired of them. Eggs are the main one.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
You can have my eggs then, and it's a win-win all around.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's amazing what a little hot sauce can do to an otherwise bland meal.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:51 am

Wow, just WOW! I didn't read everyone of the 600+ posts in this 46 page thread (so far) but is there not one of you who finds all this very strange?

I mean so many specific like and dislikes and whims, mostly whims and dislikes. How come?

Does this have to do with the other thread where someone asked what your mother's most loathed dish was?

I have to think really, really hard and I still can't come up with a single one of these "rules". I mean, yes, I am allergic to some things and thus normally avoid those. And even those things I actually like and will sometimes just deal with the consequences or take medicine so that I can eat these things.

There are things that I am not particularly fond of like caviar or things that I would find gross like testicles or eyes but stuff like having absolutely nothing on a burger except the meat and the bacon or eating food at room temperature, nope.

You guys are strange. But I guess I might be the strange one because the strange guys seem to be in the majority. LOL!

Till
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Oooh I keep coming back to this thread

Originally Posted by Chris Teifke
Crunchy is always better.
Word up, it's all about the texture ^

Originally Posted by rjque
Totally disagree - American cheese has one purpose and one purpose only: cheeseburgers.
I think it works better as a coaster for your beverage.

Originally Posted by SQmepls
i have no idea how i keep living here....

my "home" rules:

- no sandwiches not even fancy ones
- no raw veggies, not even salads
- no cold food or drinks until evening and even then I'll take a hot meal over a cold one
- no sour foods, including eastern NC bbq and vinegar based anything
- no fresh water fish, tilapia is sewer fish to me in particular
- seafood is preferred if it met its death in my kitchen by my hands
- no sirloin steak or cuts, tastes like blood/iron to me
- no margarine, canned whipped cream
- no white meat chicken ever
We are almost polar opposites

Originally Posted by McGoogles
Cheese - blue is the best and going in/on anything when it's an option.
Agree but Stilton & Swiss are right behind

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I am wholly unimpressed by restaurants whose claim to fame is large portion sizes. If you tell me "Let's go to <some place>. They have really huge portion sizes", I won't want to go.
I won't even want to eat with them. I avoid Texas.

Originally Posted by kerflumexed
Smoked Salmon appetizer on an airplane. Coming back from Europe with OH, non-rev in F, it was so good I asked for seconds. I made it to JFK and could tell then that something bad was cooking. Never again. Luckily the evening flight back to Austin was half full and I had a seat in the back next to the blue room.
Perhaps a rare occurrence? I ask only because I have the smoked salmon often on planes, figuring that it's safer than most fish, having been cured etc. Now I wonder.

Originally Posted by headhunterke

- Only 2 rules: don't take any risks in warmer countries and ALWAYS eat as much as you can off stuff you can't get back home (and of course, bring some back home, if possible)
So many people do this--most are breaking the law, and it's a law with a good purpose.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:48 am

I hate surimi, and I don't like snails (except small sea-snails).
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by China Clipper

So many people do this--most are breaking the law, and it's a law with a good purpose.
Hmmm, I wonder about the 'good purpose'. If I want really good cheese, I will sometimes buy it in Europe and bring it back with me (entirely allowed). However, I can only bring $20 worth. Now I suspect this is to prevent trade - but really, I could easily bring back 10 times that for my personal consumption (given cheese doesn't have an especially short shelf life). I think it should have the same sorts of rules as in the EU 'personal consumption quantitles' - and I could easily explain $200 (especially if I can also include French butter!)

I am also not sure confiscating an airplane cheese sandwich (when the beagle has once again ascertained that my airline lunch went into my bag unopened rather than consumed) has any good reason behind it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:32 pm

Great thread. I don't have many but the oneS I have are weird.

1) Nothing that has or had a pit. Except guacamole.

2) "Sundried" tomatoes? No.

3) Nothing made of soy, except soy sauce or tofu. I will not eat pizza from a restaurant that promotes its use of soy "cheese". (If they merely serve soy cheese plus cheese cheese, it's fine. If they brag about it, no thanks.) Soy beans are not mammals and do not otherwise have nipples. Accordingly, I object to "soy milk" (and its cousin "rice") as misleading marketing. I guess "soy juice" wouldn't sell as well, but I object.

4) Thanksgiving leftovers are best enjoyed as a single combined open-faced creation in particular order: bread, mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, dollop of cranberry sauce. The layers of starch are very thin. There should be more turkey than the other things combined. Gravy is repulsive. Mashed potatoes should be simple: butter, milk, salt, and pepper. They should be whipped enough to be light but not "fluffy".

5) When making s'mores, never use a microwave and only heat the marshmallow.

6) Don't mix things into my ice cream. If it comes that way, fine. If the rocky part of the rocky road or chunky monkey or cookie dough has made the journey with the ice cream from factory, on the truck, to the store, to the table, great. They belong together. But if it's not in the carton, I am not interested. I like chocolate ice cream enough as it is. Hold the kit kat. No sherbet except rainbow should be eaten unless they are out of rainbow. (Sherbet should always be incorrectly pronounced, as though it includes a second r. For similar reasons, it's ok to use "literally" when you mean exactly not literally. And I am ok if you want to call whales and dolphins fish. Throw the ignorant a bone or two. It's hard being ignorant. And no matter what anyone says, a tomato is not a freaking fruit. I love scientists, but they're not the boss of me. Pluto isn't a planet, though. Sorry.)

7) Whomever had the bright idea to put raisins in bread pudding should get the fourth circle of hell, but not the fifth, which is reserved for the one who put nuts in chocolate chip cookies and brownies.

8) Mayonaise and merengue are disgusting and not fit for consumption by any creatures with internal skeletal systems.

Last edited by lkar; Dec 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by lkar
And no matter what anyone says, a tomato is not a freaking fruit.
The plain English and culinary distinction of fruit vs. vegetable vs. starch is different from the botanical distinction of leaf vs. root vs. fruit (etc.)

Knowing when to use plain English vs. terms of art is something pretty much any scientist learns very early; correcting people is the sign of an amateur or know-it-all rather than a professional.

(If you feel like one-upping them instead, you can point out that not only is a tomato a fruit, it's a berry -- while a strawberry is in fact NOT a berry, but rather an "aggregate accessory fruit".)
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:48 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lkar
Great thread. I don't have many but the oneS I have are weird.

1) Nothing that has or had a pit. Except guacamole.

2) "Sundried" tomatoes? No.

3) Nothing made of soy, except soy sauce or tofu. I will not eat pizza from a restaurant that promotes its use of soy "cheese". (If they merely serve soy cheese plus cheese cheese, it's fine. If they brag about it, no thanks.) Soy beans are not mammals and do not otherwise have nipples. Accordingly, I object to "soy milk" (and its cousin "rice") as misleading marketing. I guess "soy juice" wouldn't sell as well, but I object.

4) Thanksgiving leftovers are best enjoyed as a single combined open-faced creation in particular order: bread, mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, dollop of cranberry sauce. The layers of starch are very thin. There should be more turkey than the other things combined. Gravy is repulsive. Mashed potatoes should be simple: butter, milk, salt, and pepper. They should be whipped enough to be light but not "fluffy".

5) When making s'mores, never use a microwave and only heat the marshmallow.

6) Don't mix things into my ice cream. If it comes that way, fine. If the rocky part of the rocky road or chunky monkey or cookie dough has made the journey with the ice cream from factory, on the truck, to the store, to the table, great. They belong together. But if it's not in the carton, I am not interested. I like chocolate ice cream enough as it is. Hold the kit kat. No sherbet except rainbow should be eaten unless they are out of rainbow. (Sherbet should always be incorrectly pronounced, as though it includes a second r. For similar reasons, it's ok to use "literally" when you mean exactly not literally. And I am ok if you want to call whales and dolphins fish. Throw the ignorant a bone or two. It's hard being ignorant. And no matter what anyone says, a tomato is not a freaking fruit. I love scientists, but they're not the boss of me. Pluto isn't a planet, though. Sorry.)

7) Whomever had the bright idea to put raisins in bread pudding should get the fourth circle of hell, but not the fifth, which is reserved for the one who put nuts in chocolate chip cookies and brownies.

8) Mayonaise and merengue are disgusting and not fit for consumption by any creatures with internal skeletal systems.
I wish there was a guacamole fruit...

I'm mostly in agreement with you on the mayonnaise bit though, thanks to East Asia. It's used on too many things over there, particularly in bread and on fruit. I still like to use a bit of it on a blt though. Anything to make that sandwich even less healthy...
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:41 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
At home:
1) Garlic, onions, shallots, chives and other stinkies have their own chopping board and may not ever be cut on any other board even if their dedicated board is in the dishwasher. Only stinkies may be cut on the stinkies cutting board. Nothing ruins a homemade passionfruit pavlova or strawberry shortcake quicker than getting that tang of garlic from flavour cross contamination.
2) There is a cheese tupperware in the fridge and all cheese goes in there to prevent the fridge and its other contents from smelling like cheese. Maytag Blue-scented mango moussecake and St. Albans-scented chocolate-coconut squares are gross.

On the road:
1) Drink water
2) Buy water as soon as possible when landed.
3) Drink water
4) Make sure there is enough drinking water the night before for the next day.
5) Drink water

Reminding myself to drink water constantly has helped prevent getting ill on the road. I have a Platypus water bottle tucked into each travel bag and one in my tote ready to be filled from a larger bottle I buy at a convenience store (or from the plane's refreshment trolley). You can never have too many Platys (though I dislike Vapur) I find that once I get dehydrated on the road, it's almost guaranteed that I will fall ill.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:27 am

It's funny, this thread has very little to do with travel but it screams "FLYERTALK" more than any other I've read. Never change FTers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.