Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your personal food rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tuffy
I used to think that, but then I started trying them out of necessity when driving alot for work. People who refuse to eat at gas stations are going to miss out. In Texas we have several great options, first is Buccee's, a local overrated chain of super stations for cars only, that have all kinds of decent selections and shopping, full meat counters, deli's, and sandwich items. Then there's the old throwback taqueria's which you'll find all over, they have standard barbacoa, chicharron, picadillo, and chicken style taco's, onions and cilantro only of course. Or there are several places that serve ok BBQ as well. And in Louisiana, you'll miss out on the best cracklin, pistolette's, meat pies, head cheese, and boudin in the state because they are traditionally sold at gas station/meat market's in small towns.
Really? I honestly don't think I am missing out there!!!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cvasara
I like onions. Onions don't like me. Sigh
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I don't like them and they don't like me. We have a mutual aggression pact
ROFL..

Great way of putting it.. the gas part I mean..
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles GM, AAdvantage, RapidRewards, Aeroplan
I found this thread incredibly interesting, probably because it makes me feel better about my OCD issues. Quite honestly I will eat just about anything, I have eaten just about ever imaginable food. I figure if I am traveling to another country I should be willing to try their food. I would list some of them but I would either gross you out, or make you angry. Suffice it to say I have traveled to several places where they don't view animals as pets.

I do however definitely have some specific preferences:

1. I prefer vegetables not go in a dessert or a bread (pumpkin pie, carrot cake, zucchini bread, avocado ice cream etc)
2. I prefer everything more well done (probably a result of some of the exotic things I have eaten). Corner pieces of cakes and brownies, meat MW to well, sausages burned to a crisp.
3. I do not like using a straw unless I am drinking a fast food drink in the car.
4. I always want to wash my hands right before I eat.
5. No spread at all is better than Miracle Whip
6. Mustard and relish, no ketchup on a hot dog.
7. And the most important one of all if you eat exotic foods........you can eat anything with enough ketchup
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
REAL whipped cream, whipped fresh. No fake cream. No Cool Whip. No canned aerosol crap!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:17 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
A little vanilla in there goes down well, too...

Better still, some nice clotted cream!

(Guess who's just come back from Cornwall...)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Buc-ee's
there are or there're
a lot
delis (the apostrophe may be acceptable if you specifically meant it as a contraction instead of a plural)
taquerias
tacos

Totally agree with the rest of the post.
What about "Pistolette's"? Man, I married a teacher and she's not even as critical! I may have to start proofing my posts better, ha.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by stut
A little vanilla in there goes down well, too...

Better still, some nice clotted cream!

(Guess who's just come back from Cornwall...)
Speaking of Vanilla.. we are hoping to hit up the Vanilla Factory we missed on BI.. I think we'll be there for spring break..

Infusions of vanilla in a lunch setting..
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:13 am
uk1
Suspended

My main food rule is that it is pointless going abroad and seeking out food you could/can eat at home.

The other is that when traveling I always choose food I don't know and food I think I wouldn't like - and try it all. Without such a rule I'd have missed so much.

A further rule is we always eat street food where street food is what the locals eat.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by uk1
My main food rule is that it is pointless going abroad and seeking out food you could/can eat at home.

The other is that when traveling I always choose food I don't know and food I think I wouldn't like - and try it all. Without such a rule I'd have missed so much.

A further rule is we always eat street food where street food is what the locals eat.
Cast iron stomach?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Cast iron stomach?
Maybe men in their 20's..

Noticed in the 30's, metabolism slows.. and all of a sudden we're interested in eating veggies.. couldn't care less about veggies in my 20's..
Old Aug 26, 2011, 2:37 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
Ketchup does not go on a hot dog. EVER!!!!!
Damm right!! Mayo and salsa should never come in contact with a hamburger either.

My food rules:

-Food served hot.
-Salad served cold.
-Plenty of ice in my drink unless its wine(always an issue in Mexico)
-No avocado products on my plate whatsoever.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by luxury
At breakfast my savoury cannot intermingle with the sweet. Separate plates for the eggs, hashbrowns, sausage/bacon and/or beans and another for the french toast/pancakes. Need different cutlery too.
French toast goes best with ketchup, and nothing but. Your sweet/savoury problem is now solved.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by richard
eat real foods. No foods containing preservatives, additives, artificial colorings, etc.
agreed!

I always try to not eat meat at least 3 times a week. I have much more energy and better regularity.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
better regularity.
TMI!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
1) If i can chew on Ginger it ruins a dish for me. It needs to be ground up enough such that I taste it, but never chew on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.