Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fast Food Chain You Absolutely Detest

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:27 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by cyberdad
Those of us who go to Canada on a frequent basis have learned to avoid...

Harvey's (Canada's overcooked, overly greasy answer to Mickey D's)
Swiss Chalet (Charbroiled chicken...great idea, great concept...lousy food.)
Tim Horton's (donuts are pretty tasty, but adding sandwiches was a bad idea)
What about St. Hubert in Québec?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:07 am

Location: Franklin, TN HHonors Diamond, Worldperks Platinum, Priority Club Platinum
Krystal
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Damn it, now Im jonesing for White Castles.....
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:41 am

Places where meat patties come pre-made and are thinner than the diameter of a dime.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:20 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia, United, Delta, Qantas, Air Canada
Krystal Burger

Originally Posted by DCBob
What could be worse than White Castle? Especially the one on 8th Avenue in NYC.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:38 pm

I agree w/ the White Castle Nomination. I cringe when I see people eat those..."sliders"
Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Actually, I think McDonalds does a good job of being sensitive to the local cuisine and most, if not all, of the McDonald's I've been to overseas have been loads better than what we get here in the States--both in terms of cleanliness and quality of food. For example, in Poland they had the normal hamburgers and fries, but also had more "local" stuff, like a McKielbasa and fried breaded broccoli...both of which were really quite good. Plus, based upon how busy the place was, the locals didn't seem to mind imported American food....
Wow, there seems to be an overwhelming majority of people who dislike KFC! I do agree with you though that KFC in North America (if that's what most of you are referring to, is not very good).

However, I agree with uncertaintraveler that some fast-food joints do fare a better job overseas.

I actually find the KFC in HKG quite good for fast-food. In fact, they have legions of dedicated fans ---the line-ups there are simply crazy! And those cute portuguese tarts they serve are deeelish and so is their milk tea..

When I was in HKG last summer, I didn't mind going there at all.

~LDK

Last edited by Little Dragon Kitty; Apr 11, 2006 at 1:24 am Reason: Little Minor Spelling Error
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:51 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by Little Dragon Kitty
I actually find the KFC in HKG quite good for fast-food. In fact, they have legions of dedicated fans ---the line-ups there are simply crazy! And those cute portuguese tarts they serve are deeelish and so is their milk tea..
If they offered cute Portuguese tarts of any variety here in the States
they wouldn't be so low on the list. (I do hate having to go to Lisbon or
farther for the pasteis de nata.)

From what I've heard and from limited personal experience it appears
to me that the big US chains abroad

1. alter their products and offerings to suit the locals (which is good);
2. have their act together (also good).

My grandfather used to go to a Pizza Hut near his apartment in Taipei,
claiming that the food there was better than at the pizza parlors he
used to frequent when he was doing stuff at the UN in New York.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:30 am

Programs: LX/M&M, UA, AA, AF/KL, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
What could be worse than White Castle?
Originally Posted by BTR_CDN
Krystal Burger
I've been to neither of those, but out of curiosity I checked out their websites... boy, does this stuff look nasty!
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by violist

From what I've heard and from limited personal experience it appears
to me that the big US chains abroad

1. alter their products and offerings to suit the locals (which is good);
2. have their act together (also good).

My grandfather used to go to a Pizza Hut near his apartment in Taipei,
claiming that the food there was better than at the pizza parlors he
used to frequent when he was doing stuff at the UN in New York.

hehhe YES! They do get their act together! For service for example, (and I'm only speaking for the fast-food places in Asia like Hong Kong and Japan --have not been to other asian countries so cannot comment on those), they have a good line-up of employees, like 10 people behind the counter ready to serve you, plus however many in the back preparing the food. My mum always pokes fun of east and west work ethic: You come back from a trip to Asia and it feels like everyone back home is doing Tai-Chi
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by Canarsie
What about St. Hubert in Québec?
Yeah.....Definitely gotta include St. Hubert's. I actually thought of them right after my post. Sorta like Swiss Chalet only frumpier and not exactly clean. And of course, the quality of the food is no reason whatsoever to go here...at least not in my personal experience!
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:41 am

Anything that slaps a piece of dried meat between 2 buns, soggy lettuce and heaps of sauce.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
Taco bell, White Castle, Jack-in-the-Box.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cyberdad
Those of us who go to Canada on a frequent basis have learned to avoid...

Harvey's (Canada's overcooked, overly greasy answer to Mickey D's)
Swiss Chalet (Charbroiled chicken...great idea, great concept...lousy food.)

Harvey's is actually very good. Their hamburgers are flame broiled, not fried, and you can taste the flavors of the meat and cheese - not to mention the fresh toppings you can custom select. Definately a better burger than most of the fast food places down here, and the burgers almost get in the same league as In-N-Out.

Just stick with the basics - the original hamburger, cheeseburger and hotdog, and avoid the newer flaky stuff that Cara brought onto the menu. If you ever find your diet has worked too well, and need to add a few pounds within a 10 minute timeframe, give the Poutine a try

I also think Swiss Chalet is quite tasty, especially the dipping sauce. Again, the basic standards work best here - the chicken is a standout, but other menu items lack flavor and flair. Actually, Swiss Chalet and Harvey's are owned by the same company - perhaps you visited the wrong location. I found the best food from both restaurants to be found at the original stand-alone corporate locations before the Cara takeover. Now many of the newer franchisees under Cara handle both brands onsite, which makes for a mess of both.

I have to give a thumbs down to Krystal - the last batch of burgers I ate there were literally grease sponges. Disgusting.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 3:48 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
McDonald's has evidently increased their sales due to their new premium coffee. Has anyone tried it?

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=20193

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.