Olive Garden [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olive Garden [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
I'm pretty amused to find this thread. I travel throughout the US these days for meetings and I judge how civilized a town is by whether I can find an Olive Garden there :-) I've been to about 40 or 50 of them in different cities / towns. It's a running joke on facebook when I check in at one of them. My Italian friends yell in Italian (I'm assuming its cursing) and then some other friends simply are envious. They left Ontario (Canada) a number of years ago; couldn't make any money competing against the local firms it seems. I wish they'd come back we used to have fun going there in my late teens and early twenties with friends.

I get there's better quality food out there, but the tour of Italy does it for me with a couple breadsticks. Can't usually even eat it all.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Neighborhood Italian restaurants are hit and miss too. Some are amazing, authentic, fresh ingredients but there are also plenty that use frozen and pre-pared foods.
Originally Posted by tonyrocks922
I've living in NYC my whole life and I have been to at least a dozen local Italian restaurants that are lower quality than Olive Garden. Local doesn't always mean good
Oh absolutely, I'm not saying they are all great, but somewhere like NYC/Long Island there is surfeit of Italian places that you don't have to put much effort into finding somewhere that is far, far better than an Olive Garden.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Fraser
Oh absolutely, I'm not saying they are all great, but somewhere like NYC/Long Island there is surfeit of Italian places that you don't have to put much effort into finding somewhere that is far, far better than an Olive Garden.
Need I say Umberto's of Long Island?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
For the first time ever. Olive Garden Lifetime Pasta Pass

This Thursday Olive Garden will once again offer their two month unlimited pass pass for $100. 24,000 will be available. But, the first 50 people who buy a pass will have the option to upgrade it to a lifetime pass for an additional $400.

I wish they would offer a soup and salad pass. That's all I ever order when I am forced to eat there.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/yo..._content=wkmg6
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:44 pm

I don't get the point of this stuff when gratuity is excluded.

Similar to how "free delivery" excludes tip. So it's not really free.

I'll never forget that one faux-luxury hotel I stayed in where the valet parking was described to me as free "and they work on tips." Gee, thanks?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
While this thread is acceptable in OMNI, we are going to move it to Dining Buzz where there is an existing thread on the topic.

Cholula
OMNI Co-Moderator
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Gross.

I bet the lucky recipient of this is also someone who goes to Friday's for their endless apps.

Gross.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Gross.
Don't knock it man. Sometimes when you're working a city where Olive Garden is the best sit-down restaurant in town. A make your own bowl of pasta is like home!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Madone59
Don't knock it man. Sometimes when you're working a city where Olive Garden is the best sit-down restaurant in town. A make your own bowl of pasta is like home!
Hey I've been there many times. Their salad and soups are very good. However my post was targeted most likely at someone who will not be eating the two aforementioned food categories and will be eating bowl after endless bowl of lasagna with sausages. lol
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Gross.
Cooked pasta with marinara sauce and grilled chicken.

What exactly is "gross" about this?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I wish they would offer a soup and salad pass. That's all I ever order when I am forced to eat there.
Pretty sure soup and salad is included in the pasta pass.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey I've been there many times. Their salad and soups are very good. However my post was targeted most likely at someone who will not be eating the two aforementioned food categories and will be eating bowl after endless bowl of lasagna with sausages. lol
Their salads have way too much dressing IMO. I do like their soup but I can imagine its chalked full of sodium.

Not a big fan of any of the pasts I've had there, they tend to cook it much more than I cook pasta.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Endless bowl of lasagna with sausages? I don’t think you’ve eaten at Olive Garden recently.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by annerj
Not a big fan of any of the pasts I've had there, they tend to cook it much more than I cook pasta.
I'm honestly not sure why chain restaurants constantly overcook pasta. Is there a very short window between perfectly cooked and overcooked? Even if so, you'd imagine they have it down to a science.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by davie355
I'm honestly not sure why chain restaurants constantly overcook pasta. Is there a very short window between perfectly cooked and overcooked? Even if so, you'd imagine they have it down to a science.
I think there are a lot of Americans who think overcooked pasta is cooked correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.