Wiki Posts
Search

Olive Garden [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BamaVol
This thread has inspired me to visit OG tonight (after the gym). I will ask the server.
I have a feeling we'll end up there sometime this weekend.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper
Do report back.
I skipped the gym and went directly to Olive Garden after work. I ordered angel hair pasta with marinara and meatballs. It was pretty bland and uninspired but overall ok, although it came before I'd finished my salad.. Filling, for sure. I tried a breadstick and regretted it. Less than warm and fresh. I asked the server to go easy on the salad dressing and she did. I asked her if she prepared it herself. Her response was that the servers "assembled" the salads. I finished 2 bowls and had no desire for more. Accompanied by a bottle of Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Service was friendly and relatively prompt which is no surprise at 5:00 PM on a Wednesday in the South. Everyone else in town is getting ready for church.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I skipped the gym and went directly to Olive Garden after work. I ordered angel hair pasta with marinara and meatballs. It was pretty bland and uninspired but overall ok, although it came before I'd finished my salad.. Filling, for sure. I tried a breadstick and regretted it. Less than warm and fresh. I asked the server to go easy on the salad dressing and she did. I asked her if she prepared it herself. Her response was that the servers "assembled" the salads. I finished 2 bowls and had no desire for more. Accompanied by a bottle of Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Service was friendly and relatively prompt which is no surprise at 5:00 PM on a Wednesday in the South. Everyone else in town is getting ready for church.
It sounds like what you expected.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
It sounds like what you expected.
And isn't that why people eat there?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:57 am

And isn't that why people eat there?
Generally, yes, unless you think it's real Italian food and are disappointed with the Italian food in Italy.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
This thread was quite entertaining, I think I spent about 30mins reading it half way through...

I think my most amusing Olive Garden story was when I was living in Richmond, Virginia. My (now ex) wife had a friend who lived in the boonies that we'd see periodically. We'd always see her parents and other family members whenever we caught up with them. My travels were always of great fascination and intrigue to the friend's family members and I saw them once the week after I'd got back from a few days in Rome. When the father of my wife's friend found out he was so excited. "I love Italian food...have you had the <whatever dish> from the Olive Garden?...you know we drive all the way to Roanoke (about 2hrs drive!) to get me some Olive Garden...if you like Italian food you should definitely check it out". That was in 2009 and I've still never been to an Olive Garden.

Even in Richmond which was hardly a hotbed of Italian American culture still managed to provide a decent selection of pretty authentic Italian-American restaurants. I moved to NYC (well the LI/NYC border) four years ago, having been in Richmond for 9yrs before that, and I can't even fathom how Olive Gardens are still in business here in NYC/LI. I can see why it works in the tourist areas but suburban Long Island just confuses me. You find yourself tripping over Italian restaurants that leave that manufactured Darden food in the dust, there's just no reason to go an OG.

...and yes, to respond to comments from about 12yrs ago ( ), a neighbourhood Italian restaurant isn't "snobby", they're cheap and prevalent, and fresh and taste good. The one thing that confused me about the premise of an Olive Garden is that a Italian food is driven by fresh and tasty ingredients that taste "bright", yet Olive Garden and other chain restaurants by definition are not that. Stodgy offsite manufactured food is the complete opposite of what Italian food stands for.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fraser
This thread was quite entertaining, I think I spent about 30mins reading it half way through...

I think my most amusing Olive Garden story was when I was living in Richmond, Virginia. My (now ex) wife had a friend who lived in the boonies that we'd see periodically. We'd always see her parents and other family members whenever we caught up with them. My travels were always of great fascination and intrigue to the friend's family members and I saw them once the week after I'd got back from a few days in Rome. When the father of my wife's friend found out he was so excited. "I love Italian food...have you had the <whatever dish> from the Olive Garden?...you know we drive all the way to Roanoke (about 2hrs drive!) to get me some Olive Garden...if you like Italian food you should definitely check it out". That was in 2009 and I've still never been to an Olive Garden.

Even in Richmond which was hardly a hotbed of Italian American culture still managed to provide a decent selection of pretty authentic Italian-American restaurants. I moved to NYC (well the LI/NYC border) four years ago, having been in Richmond for 9yrs before that, and I can't even fathom how Olive Gardens are still in business here in NYC/LI. I can see why it works in the tourist areas but suburban Long Island just confuses me. You find yourself tripping over Italian restaurants that leave that manufactured Darden food in the dust, there's just no reason to go an OG.

...and yes, to respond to comments from about 12yrs ago ( ), a neighbourhood Italian restaurant isn't "snobby", they're cheap and prevalent, and fresh and taste good. The one thing that confused me about the premise of an Olive Garden is that a Italian food is driven by fresh and tasty ingredients that taste "bright", yet Olive Garden and other chain restaurants by definition are not that. Stodgy offsite manufactured food is the complete opposite of what Italian food stands for.
Neighborhood Italian restaurants are hit and miss too. Some are amazing, authentic, fresh ingredients but there are also plenty that use frozen and pre-pared foods.
TGarza likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I've living in NYC my whole life and I have been to at least a dozen local Italian restaurants that are lower quality than Olive Garden. Local doesn't always mean good
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We had lunch at Carrabba's in Destin on Saturday and it was much better overall than any of my many Olive Garden visits. That was true in terms of the food as well as the atmosphere. There is a Carrabba's about 10-15 miles from our house. Olive Garden is about 15 minutes closer. I wish the two could swap places. Does anyone know what herbs Carrabba's adds to the olive oil for dipping bread? I love that stuff.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:29 pm

We had lunch at Carrabba's in Destin on Saturday and it was much better overall than any of my many Olive Garden visits. That was true in terms of the food as well as the atmosphere. There is a Carrabba's about 10-15 miles from our house. Olive Garden is about 15 minutes closer. I wish the two could swap places. Does anyone know what herbs Carrabba's adds to the olive oil for dipping bread? I love that stuff.
This recipe is close

https://www.savoryexperiments.com/tr...bas-bread-dip/

Copycat Carrabba's Olive Oil Bread Dip
Prep Time
5 mins
Total Time
5 mins

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
  • 3 cloves fresh crushed garlic
  • extra virgin olive oil

Instructions
  1. Combine crushed red pepper, black pepper, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, sea salt and crush garlic. Mix well.
  2. If serving immediately, place dry spice mixture in a shallow plate. Drizzle desired amount of extra virgin olive oil over, serve. Wait to combine extra virgin olive oil and dry spices until right before serving.
  3. If you've made this recipe at home, come back and let us know how it was!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGarza
This recipe is close

https://www.savoryexperiments.com/tr...bas-bread-dip/

Copycat Carrabba's Olive Oil Bread Dip
Prep Time
5 mins
Total Time
5 mins

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
  • 3 cloves fresh crushed garlic
  • extra virgin olive oil

Instructions
  1. Combine crushed red pepper, black pepper, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, sea salt and crush garlic. Mix well.
  2. If serving immediately, place dry spice mixture in a shallow plate. Drizzle desired amount of extra virgin olive oil over, serve. Wait to combine extra virgin olive oil and dry spices until right before serving.
  3. If you've made this recipe at home, come back and let us know how it was!
Thanks, I'll try it.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Having lived in the US for three years, I actually miss the Olive Garden.

I think it's due more to the memories with colleagues after a long day at the client sort of thing though.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:36 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Well, I have to say, I will actually be glad when my $100 Pasta Pass expires.

I have become friends with one server and she treats me so well...

I go a few times a week at lunch time and have either the salad or soup (never tried their soups until this promotion). I then get the full pasta selection to take home for the hubby for work the following day. (Note, he also has a Pasta Pass but has only used a few times for dinner). I then get the refill of a different pasta for myself. She then makes another one with extra protein and sauce... as well as soup to go. So, I get my lunch.... and at least two more meals to go.

My total cost is $3.01 for my Diet Coke or Iced Tea.... and then the nice tip I leave her.

The hubby has literally had pasta for lunch every day at the hospital for the last month.... Good thing he does not gain weight at all!

It has been a great chance to try out different pastas... and I actually enjoy Olive Garden.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
Well, I have to say, I will actually be glad when my $100 Pasta Pass expires.

I have become friends with one server and she treats me so well...

I go a few times a week at lunch time and have either the salad or soup (never tried their soups until this promotion). I then get the full pasta selection to take home for the hubby for work the following day. (Note, he also has a Pasta Pass but has only used a few times for dinner). I then get the refill of a different pasta for myself. She then makes another one with extra protein and sauce... as well as soup to go. So, I get my lunch.... and at least two more meals to go.

My total cost is $3.01 for my Diet Coke or Iced Tea.... and then the nice tip I leave her.

The hubby has literally had pasta for lunch every day at the hospital for the last month.... Good thing he does not gain weight at all!

It has been a great chance to try out different pastas... and I actually enjoy Olive Garden.
That's very nice of her!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wharvey
(never tried their soups until this promotion)
Olive Garden has been using kale (in their Zuppa Toscana) long before it was hip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.