Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olive Garden [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I know you all were waiting for this to return...

Pasta Pass is back

For an extra $200, you can have Child Services take your children away for also subjecting them to seven weeks of pasta.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:49 pm

I'd buy the individual pass for $100 but my nearest OG is 25 miles.

If the location were convenient I'd probably use it thrice weekly, synced with my cardio workouts, so that's under $5 per meal (assuming carryout, so no tip).
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Olive Garden purposefully neglects salt to avoid invalidating the extended warranty agreement it has with the manufacturer of its cooking pots.

Originally Posted by hoyateach
I've tried Olive Garden restaurants in a handful of places (in a handful of different states) and found them to be consistently over-salted, to a ridiculous degree. Keeps their drink sales going, I suppose. I generally avoid them when given the choice.

Interesting.

My theory about Olive Garden, Chilis, Outback etc is that it's like wine for the vast majority of people. Just like most people can't tell the $15 bottle of wine from the $50 bottle, most people won't tell the difference between a $12 Olive Garden entree vs an entree from the 'local' Italian restaurant that goes for $25.

But in today's society Olive Garden is an uncool place where on the rubes eat, so we have to make excuses as to why we don't like it For some it's too much salt. For others it's not enough salt.

Last edited by KoKoBuddy; Sep 20, 2015 at 9:36 am
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Interesting.

My theory about Olive Garden, Chilis, Outback etc is that it's like wine for the vast majority of people. Just like most people can't tell the $15 bottle of wine from the $50 bottle, most people won't tell the difference between a $12 Olive Garden entree vs an entree from the 'local' Italian restaurant that goes for $25.

But in today's society Olive Garden is an uncool place where on the rubes eat, so we have to make excuses as to why we don't like it For some it's too much salt. For others it's not enough salt.
For all the crap it takes online, IME Olive Garden, though by no means a gourmet experience, tends to be a whole lot better than the "local Italian restaurant" I get directed to in Podunk, Your State. The Italian I've had in Iowa has been about a step below Chef Boy-ar-Dee out of a can; I would've killed for an Olive Garden when I was last in Cedar Falls.

Honestly, the Italian meal I was served in supposedly the finest Italian restaurant in northern New Jersey was inferior to Olive Garden, and by a pretty substantial margin. I've had great Italian food in Italy (natch), Pittsburgh, Ohio, Chicago, and California, but New Jersey? So far as I can tell it's a bunch of joints serving mobsters with no taste whatsoever.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
For all the crap it takes online, IME Olive Garden, though by no means a gourmet experience, tends to be a whole lot better than the "local Italian restaurant" I get directed to in Podunk, Your State. The Italian I've had in Iowa has been about a step below Chef Boy-ar-Dee out of a can; I would've killed for an Olive Garden when I was last in Cedar Falls.

Honestly, the Italian meal I was served in supposedly the finest Italian restaurant in northern New Jersey was inferior to Olive Garden, and by a pretty substantial margin. I've had great Italian food in Italy (natch), Pittsburgh, Ohio, Chicago, and California, but New Jersey? So far as I can tell it's a bunch of joints serving mobsters with no taste whatsoever.
Need I remind you that the average FlyerTalker won't eat anywhere that doesn't at least have a Michelin Star?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Need I remind you that the average FlyerTalker won't eat anywhere that doesn't at least have a Michelin Star?
Then they're going to die of malnutrition if they need to spend a lot of time in Iowa.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Olive Garden isn't that bad. Like others have said, at least you know what you're getting if you go to one. Went to one a couple months ago and the food was blander than I remembered, though it could have been the thing I ordered. I also wish they didn't cut down on the number of breadsticks that they bring to the table; it seems like having to ask the servers to bring more bowls of them negates any cost savings they would have gotten.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I've gone there for soup and salad bar--both delicious. I mean really, how can you [mess] up S&S?

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 22, 2015 at 12:16 pm Reason: Redacted per http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:37 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Where have you found an Olive Garden that has a salad bar? Don't think I have EVER seen that in an Olive Garden.

Originally Posted by enviroian
I've gone there for soup and salad bar--both delicious. I mean really, how can you [mess] up S&S?
We would have gotten this if I had known about it..... how often do they do this? Never heard of this pass before.

I need to pay more attention to this thread.

Originally Posted by davie355
I'd buy the individual pass for $100 but my nearest OG is 25 miles.

If the location were convenient I'd probably use it thrice weekly, synced with my cardio workouts, so that's under $5 per meal (assuming carryout, so no tip).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 22, 2015 at 3:09 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wharvey
We would have gotten this if I had known about it..... how often do they do this? Never heard of this pass before.

I need to pay more attention to this thread.
They did it last year with much fanfare, and all 1000 passes sold out in under an hour. I did not see much marketing for it this year, then again, I wasn't really looking.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
They did it last year with much fanfare, and all 1000 passes sold out in under an hour. I did not see much marketing for it this year, then again, I wasn't really looking.
I received an email about it, but that's it.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I go for the soup and salad reasonably often, maybe once or twice a month. Salad is always quality ingredients, though a little boring, and I like the Zuppa Toscana. Breadsticks are pretty good, too.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:34 pm

I was in Italy with a friend recently, and after eating some amazing food on the trip, she commented that she couldn't wait to return home and go to Olive Garden for Italian food.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper
I was in Italy with a friend recently, and after eating some amazing food on the trip, she commented that she couldn't wait to return home and go to Olive Garden for Italian food.
Thats funny. I take my mother to Olive Garden and I think “ I need to get back to Italy for some Italian food”.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol

Thats funny. I take my mother to Olive Garden and I think “ I need to get back to Italy for some Italian food”.
I was a bit shocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.