Reload this Page >

Olive Garden [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olive Garden [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:52 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by N830MH
He's right. You don't have worry about OG. We doesn't have any complaints that I ate fondue & Tour of Italy, too. I don't have any problems at all. The lunch time was so delicious! I loves to eat Tour of Italy. Next time I'll have a order baked ziti.
MMMMMMM Tour of Italy. MMMMMMMMMM!!!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by wharvey
Fully understand.... where I grew up, the fanciest seafood restaurant was Long John Silvers.... guess that is why I do not eat seafood to this day!
Shudder... I'm about to be sick just thinking about there!
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I can't resist resurrecting this thread from time to time when we're all getting along so well.
You just love the drama, don't you?
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I still give the place a C+. It could move up to a B with a better sauce and fewer unruly kids in the dining room.
Unfortunately, I think unruly kids are almost a staple at any chain restaurant now.

Mr. Kipper and I usually only go to OG when they have the never-ending pasta bowl. I usually just have them box up my refill, although at some, they insist you eat at least a portion of it, so I'll move it around my plate for a while before they box it up for me. Then, it's lunch or dinner the following day.

When we want Italian food, we usually stop at a local restaurant that has amazing food. The owner will sit and visit with regulars and such. It's a bit less than OG price-wise, and as a bonus, pitchers of Sam Adams are $10.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:35 pm

Since i'm allergic to wheat I was glad to see they had gluten free pasta available. It was pretty good. One thing I can say is that OG always smells good when you walk in whether the dinner is good or not.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
While I always prefer a local place over a chain, Olive Garden isn't terrible as far as it goes. It's one of those places on my list of "Great to eat at: If Someone else is Paying". Sure you get soup/salad and breadsticks, but I still think the entrees are priced a little higher than they should be.

I prefer Olive Garden the most when I do take out, the faux Italian ambiance doesn't do it for me, and some of the ones I went to had all the chairs on wheels which I found weird.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by CMK10
some of the ones I went to had all the chairs on wheels which I found weird.
Look at most of the diners around you. They need the wheels to move their chairs closer to the trough...
Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
I usually just have them box up my refill, although at some, they insist you eat at least a portion of it, so I'll move it around my plate for a while before they box it up for me...
Did you learn that trick when you were a little kid, albeit for food you didn't want to eat?

The technique was to redistribute it, mash it down where possible, and all the while to avoid being caught by Mom "playing with your food."
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Fredd
Did you learn that trick when you were a little kid, albeit for food you didn't want to eat?

The technique was to redistribute it, mash it down where possible, and all the while to avoid being caught by Mom "playing with your food."
LOL, no, when I was a kid and didn't want to eat food, I just refused to eat it. When my mother would insist that I eat it later, if I was hungry, rather than eating cookies, I'd complain to my grandmother that "Mom makes me eat cold food."
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, MP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Salad, Breadsticks, and Soup at the OG.....the rest leaves alot to be desired.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:02 pm

I agree that OG is not the greatest, but you know what you are gong to get there. I have gone to several local Italian Place and after eating wished that I was at OG.
Old May 31, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Spg, 1K UA
Interesting,

that this thread is still open after ~ 5 years, really OG?
Old May 31, 2011, 10:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Mrs Cholula and I just did their unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks lunch for $20 today.

We thoroughly enjoyed the meal, the service was great and we'll do it again soon.

There are a lot of choices for lunch in Southern CA but we hit OG once or twice a month as we enjoy the experience.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Fredd

My two year old has learned that trick and is now an expert.

We eat at OG 3-4 times per year. One thing that it has going for it is that it is pretty good at eliminating the "veto vote." In just about any group, everyone can find at least one thing to eat. If the concerns are health issues (fat, sodium, etc.), that group probably would be cooking at home.

OG also hits the sweet spot of demographics. Average HH income for the OG customer is $60-70K, slightly above the US average but not out of reach for anyone. In other words, for a large part of the customer base, it is highly affordable, and even for those at the lower end of the income scale, it is an aspirational treat.

Note: I may get flamed for saying this (Has anyone ever been flamed in the Dining thread? ), but the breadsticks smell a lot better than they taste.

For true bready delight at an Italian restaurant, I have to go to Bertucci's.

Mike
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:33 am

If I go to OG for dinner, I always order a lunch portion which is a much better deal!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
This thread predates me even being on FT!

I acknowledge that OG isn't authentic Italian food, but I do like to have it a couple of times a year. The one we go to is in Boulder CO, continually touted as being one of the most fit cities in the US, and the OG is constantly just packed.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
People who haven't been to OG in years are pretty shocked when I tell them the good is actually pretty good these days. Is it the best Italian food I've ever eaten? No, that's in Italy.

Is it the best americanized version of Italian good I've ever eaten? No, but it's a nice choice to be able to have. I've found very few Italian "mom and pop" restaurants that I really enjoy...

The exception is Vinny's in Westlake, TX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.