Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:59 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Actually only had Subways the past couple of years during the pandemic .. mine always has roast beef , cheese , lots of salad - beetroot , coleslaw , .. mayonnaise , BBQ sauce .. cut into half .
Decent , pleasantly surprised - edible !

Love the cookies too , not so much the coffee but selection of soft drinks & bottled teas are decent enough including green tea , peach , ..
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Been to Subway in dozens of countries but haven’t eaten anything from Subway in at least 20 years. And the one and only sub I had at a Subway was perfectly ok.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:38 pm

My only problem, especially when ordering via the app is that they often don't read the instructions and by the time you discover the issue, you've gone and to go back to get it fixed is not worth it (eg, my smashed avocado w/turkey sub that was missing the avocado)...
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Subway in Downtown Raleigh always gives me a free cookie after I tip a dollar. I like them for that.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by CMK10
The Subway in Downtown Raleigh always gives me a free cookie after I tip a dollar. I like them for that.
How much do they sell the cookies for?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
Think what you might get if you were to tip 10%!
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
How much do they sell the cookies for?
94 cents. I'm not coming out ahead

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Think what you might get if you were to tip 10%!
I always tip 20% on my card and then put a dollar in the tip jar. So far just the one cookie.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I picked up Baby Swede from the library last week around noon. I asked what she wanted for lunch. "Subway." I asked, "Are you sure? How about Jersey Mike's?".

"No."
"Jimmy John's?"
"No."
"Firehouse Subs?"
"No."
"How about the cheesesteak place?"
"No."
"...Chinese food?"
"No."

So off to Subway we went. I had my usual of footlong Spicy Italian on Italian Herbs & Cheese, provolone cheese, lettuce, cucumber, banana peppers, oregano, salt & pepper, and a little Chipotle Southwest. It was fine. Not great. It fixed my hunger issue and had dinner later that evening.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
"Firehouse Subs?"
"No."
Gurgle gurgle as he drowns in mayonnaise.... ugh. I wonder how many eggs and how much fat they must go through (or their supplier)

I've said it once and I'm sure I'll say it many more times.... would you like a sub with your mayonnaise..

So off to Subway we went. I had my usual of footlong Spicy Italian on Italian Herbs & Cheese, provolone cheese, lettuce, cucumber, banana peppers, oregano, salt & pepper, and a little Chipotle Southwest. It was fine. Not great. It fixed my hunger issue and had dinner later that evening.
If I go spicy italian (with cheese.... wish we had provolone).... I often load it with lots of veggies just to counter the intense saltiness of the meat... I don't know if they dunk it in salt water after slicing to kill anything that might grow on the meats.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Gurgle gurgle as he drowns in mayonnaise.... ugh. I wonder how many eggs and how much fat they must go through (or their supplier)

I've said it once and I'm sure I'll say it many more times.... would you like a sub with your mayonnaise..
My work catered Firehouse Subs occasionally, and the mayo was never on the sandwich (just a packet with the lunch box), so I guess I lucked out. I feel all sandwich places in the US put on too much mayo on sandwiches, so I always ask for "just a little mayo", which then they put on a normal serving of mayo.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:24 am

My work catered Firehouse Subs occasionally, and the mayo was never on the sandwich (just a packet with the lunch box), so I guess I lucked out. I feel all sandwich places in the US put on too much mayo on sandwiches, so I always ask for "just a little mayo", which then they put on a normal serving of mayo.
Second time same as the first... Way too much mayo. They might separate the sauces for delivery as the sauce would break down the bread.

Personally, a schmeer of most sauces is enough for a sub. Too much and things become a mess. Maybe different if there is a lot of vegetables or a lot of strong flavours... But still.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:38 am

Subway vending machines

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/amer...171228214.html
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
the problem with Subway is their bread sucks. It's literally tasteless. That's why my choice for sandwiches are Jimmy John's.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I picked up Baby Swede from the library last week around noon. I asked what she wanted for lunch. "Subway." I asked, "Are you sure? How about Jersey Mike's?".

"No."
"Jimmy John's?"
"No."
"Firehouse Subs?"
"No."
"How about the cheesesteak place?"
"No."
"...Chinese food?"
"No."

Huge fan of Jersey Mike's. off menu sandwich called California club is my go-to.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Huge fan of Jersey Mike's. off menu sandwich called California club is my go-to.
The California Club has been on their online app for as long as Ive been ordering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.