Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by teddybear99
I have actually fallen in love with Jimmy John's bread. They slice their meat multiple times daily so it's very fresh and their subs are very basic, no wonder they can make them very quick.
I love their bread too. Honestly I think they're not all that much faster than Subway at building the sandwiches, it just seems that way because you have to tell them everything you want on the sub up front. Then you don't stand there lingering indecisively over all the topping choices and whether you want it toasted. Though they do pre-portion all their meats and separate them with dividers, so they just take a portion of ham or whatever and slap it on, unlike Subway which has to adjust the number of slices depending on which sandwich you order.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
There's this chain called Ike's here in California and they have like hundreds of different subs you can choose from, vegan options, halal options, and anything else you can think of and all their sandwiches have really cool names. Only bad part is they don't have a full menu anywhere with all the sandwiches. Each store lists the ones they want, it changes every week but you can always order a particular sandwich and they can always make it like the Godfather or Hugh Hefner and etc.. I like their french bread over their "famous" dutch bread but thats just my opinion
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have to say these new buffalo and BBQ chicken sandwiches are quite good. I think the BBQ chicken with ranch dressing and veggies and cheese makes for the best Subway sandwich right now.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
People are going to flame me for saying this, but I do enjoy their Veggie Patty subs. *ducks and runs*
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Someone gave me a coupon for a 6 inch sub today for $2.99. Had a Steak and Cheese that was kind of tasty for a change. The store was new and had new employees, so not sure if it was because it was made by a newbie.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by fbcooper
There's this chain called Ike's here in California and they have like hundreds of different subs you can choose from, vegan options, halal options, and anything else you can think of and all their sandwiches have really cool names. Only bad part is they don't have a full menu anywhere with all the sandwiches. Each store lists the ones they want, it changes every week but you can always order a particular sandwich and they can always make it like the Godfather or Hugh Hefner and etc.. I like their french bread over their "famous" dutch bread but thats just my opinion
All sandwiches should have clever, funny names. There was a deli in the last MA town where I lived that did that. There was a cream cheese and olive sandwich called “Cream Abdul Jabbar”. Also something on the menu called “Daddy, I don’t want to eat this”. I think it was a dessert.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I probably haven't had a Subway sandwich in two years. The hotel we were staying at over the weekend for a hockey tournament was bereft of restaurant choices. We already had three of the seven local restaurants (BBQ, Qdoba, Wendy's), so we were left with a local taco chain, a Mexican restaurant, Carl's Jr., and Subway to have a quick, late lunch. Since Baby Swede had a hockey game in a few hours, we were trying to avoid greasy and spicy foods, so Subway it was.

The poor Subway employee was by herself and had to work the walk-in AND drive-through orders. Plus, the oven was broken so she could not toast anything nor serve anything with steak or chicken. I had a footlong Spicy Italian, and Mrs. Swede and Baby Swede each had a 6 inch turkey and ham. For what we had as lunch choices, it's perfectly acceptable--but not something I would willingly choose.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pseudoswede

The poor Subway employee was by herself and had to work the walk-in AND drive-through orders. Plus, the oven was broken so she could not toast anything nor serve anything with steak or chicken. I had a footlong Spicy Italian, and Mrs. Swede and Baby Swede each had a 6 inch turkey and ham. For what we had as lunch choices, it's perfectly acceptable--but not something I would willingly choose.
Subway has drive-thru?!
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Subway has drive-thru?!
Jim Gaffigan has a pretty funny bit about it.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jim Gaffigan has a pretty funny bit about it.
I've never seen (or heard) such a thing before (Subway drive-thru). Maybe it's more common in different parts of the world?
And I can see that lineup of cars getting longer and longer...
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I've never seen (or heard) such a thing before (Subway drive-thru). Maybe it's more common in different parts of the world?
And I can see that lineup of cars getting longer and longer...
There was one at a location near me, although that location closed, perhaps because of the drive-thru complicating things.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
There was one at a location near me, although that location closed, perhaps because of the drive-thru complicating things.
Yeah, given how slow some Subways can be with their service, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true!
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last two minutes of the bit ... has not aged well.

Jaimito Cartero likes this.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Jan 21, 2021 at 11:43 am
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
The last two minutes of the bit ... has not aged well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTlHHm3RIW0

Still very funny. It's just not good to be a Jared these days.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone like the Subway restaurant smell? When I'm ordering my "good sub" at any Subway establishment, I always wonder if they intentionally make the smell stronger than it needs to be.
But IANABE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.