Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Gold
Michelin especially outside of France is often completely wrong (not to mention 2 stars for "Bo innovation" in HK),[/QUOTE]

Just curious, what is the take on bo innovation in HK? I take it that you were unimpressed? I only ask because I was thinking about going there on my upcoming trip to HK and if it is not worth it would appreciate the info.

Thanks
Old May 3, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by BLV
Definitely agree re: Daniel & JG (except I'd put Jean Georges way lower than Daniel) and I'm a weekly regular. For me it mostly comes down to ingredients, which are generally better/different tasting in Europe.

And as far as "foie gras & arrogance problem" - this is the silliest thing I've read in a while when describing dissatisfaction with Paris restaurants lol

What's wrong with foie gras, btw?
I fully agree that the tasting is different in Europe and in the US (I don't say better, just different, ) For example Gordon Ramsay NY was VERY tasty and better than the one in Paris in every respects

I had several same dishes at Robuchon Paris and Robuchon Las Vegas and the taste was very different. (this time the Paris one was better)

I have to admit that arrogance is part of the French culture (don't bite me too hard) but there is usually no arrogance problem in high end restaurant (at Le Bristol restaurant in Paris they even bring me diapers, wonder in which restaurant they'll have diapers available for their young guests (yes Robuchon at the Metropole in Monaco, I'm working on a directory of the diapers'restaurant

One factor that I forgot is the price, Daniel / Jean George will charge less than a 3 stars in Paris (about EURO 250 / 300 in Paris vs USD 200 /250 including tips & taxes in NY, correct me if I'm wrong on the digit)

Concerning the foie gras, today a French factory is in big trouble as they use some sick ducks,

Originally Posted by Distilled
Michelin especially outside of France is often completely wrong (not to mention 2 stars for "Bo innovation" in HK),
Just curious, what is the take on bo innovation in HK? I take it that you were unimpressed? I only ask because I was thinking about going there on my upcoming trip to HK and if it is not worth it would appreciate the info.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi

Sorry my review is maybe too harsch
BoInnovaiton is not a bad restaurant
BoInnovaiton is a very acceptable restaurant like a lot of 0 michelin star restaurants are.
IMHO 2 stars must be something amazing which definitely not the case there

I had lunch there last year
First the glass door is completely open so it's a little hot Inside (maybe an A/C problem ?,)
The setting is acceptable but the table are a little close to each other (for a 2 stars restaurant)
You have to take an elevator to arrive to the restaurant so it can be a little difficult to find
You have to go outside of the restaurant (but still on the same level) to go the the restrooms

Concerning the food it's just nice, no more than that. (it's not that tasty neither)

For the same price, I'll recommend "Tosca" (the italian restaurant) at the RC
They have no star but it was very good and innovative

[QUOTE=offerendum;20680258][QUOTE=cedricgerald;20677786]IMHO
- Daniel & Jean Gorge will have no more than one star in Paris.

Have to disagree. Both earn their 3 Stars in my eyes. Iīm not a big fan of Paris restaurants. First the extended use of Foi Gras and other ...., second they often have an arrogance problem
Try le Bristol in Paris and if you don't like the food or the service, the check is for me

Last edited by cblaisd; May 5, 2013 at 6:47 am Reason: Merged poster's three consecutive posts
Old May 3, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks for the info. I agree that I want something pretty special from a 2 star restaurant, perhaps I'll continue to look around.
Old May 3, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
[QUOTE=cedricgerald;20693315][QUOTE=offerendum;20680258]
Originally Posted by cedricgerald

Try le Bristol in Paris and if you don't like the food or the service, the check is for me
Nice offer I donīt doubt, that their are great restaurants. Perhaps itīs really a question of taste. I like the American restaurants, also Iīm European and of course raisedwith European restaurants. I visited my first 3 star with 5 year
I have to agree, that the tast in the US is different. Also I donīt eat the same things. If Iīm in NY I try to eat as much American products as possible. What I like at the US-Michelin, that they give restaurants a star rating, that in Europe normally would get one. I think in Europe they prefer the "classic" cusine. One example is the Spotted Pig in NYC. I donīt think it would get a star in France. But the food is delicious.

But back to topic. Tried yesterday to reserve a table at Eleven Madisson. Since they are "number 5 in the world" itīs nearly impossible to get a table for dinner. Was easier the last time. At least I got a table at Per Se after the big downgrading.

P.S. Itīs interesting no one answered the entire question. How does the list affect your travel planning?

To say again. Sometimes I only book a trip to try a restaurant. But if the restaurant is inside a hotel and I donīt think this hotel is the best option, I book a different one.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:33 pm

[QUOTE=offerendum;20694168][QUOTE=cedricgerald;20693315]
Originally Posted by offerendum

Nice offer I donīt doubt, that their are great restaurants. Perhaps itīs really a question of taste. I like the American restaurants, also Iīm European and of course raisedwith European restaurants. I visited my first 3 star with 5 year
I have to agree, that the tast in the US is different. Also I donīt eat the same things. If Iīm in NY I try to eat as much American products as possible. What I like at the US-Michelin, that they give restaurants a star rating, that in Europe normally would get one. I think in Europe they prefer the "classic" cusine. One example is the Spotted Pig in NYC. I donīt think it would get a star in France. But the food is delicious.

But back to topic. Tried yesterday to reserve a table at Eleven Madisson. Since they are "number 5 in the world" itīs nearly impossible to get a table for dinner. Was easier the last time. At least I got a table at Per Se after the big downgrading.

P.S. Itīs interesting no one answered the entire question. How does the list affect your travel planning?

To say again. Sometimes I only book a trip to try a restaurant. But if the restaurant is inside a hotel and I donīt think this hotel is the best option, I book a different one.
Eleven Madison, you may go for lunch and this is almost always available with no or little notice. This is the same menu at USD 195++.
The food is very good and it's a little show. But still not 3 stars in my opinion !!
They have a duck beer if you like beer.
Per staff, it's a good idea to go one the wait list for dinner as they have a lot of last minute cancelations.
Per se, the MO concierge nor Amex fine dining was able to secure a table in calling 28 days ahead so I don't know this one.
To reply to the topic, it'll not affect my travel plans, just affect my dining plan if I'm in the city.
Good idea to try to the local food and thank you for the info on

Originally Posted by Distilled
Thanks for the info. I agree that I want something pretty special from a 2 star restaurant, perhaps I'll continue to look around.
IMHO my favorite restaurants in HK are
- Pierre at MO 2 stars (had 2 stars then 1 star now back to 2 stars). The setting is beautifull and the food is great. Try the "cheese" starter if you like cheese..
- Amber at the Landmark MO, same comments than Pierre. The degustation menu is very very good. 2 stars also.

Not a big fan of "Caprice". Nor Robuchon where they have only one table and all other people are at the counter. The bread basket is excellent (probably the best bread variety I ever had). If you have a baby stroller maybe they give you the table )

Otherwise "Felix" at the top of the Pen has a nice view over HK (if you can secure a window table) and the food is good and relatively reasonably priced (but not the same level than Amber or Pierre)

Last edited by cblaisd; May 5, 2013 at 6:47 am Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old May 3, 2013, 4:13 pm
BLV

Eleven Madison. But still not 3 stars in my opinion !!
I agree once again. Now I'm curious to hear about your favorite restaurants in Paris (but something tells me they'll be mine as well )
Old May 3, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Made a reservation at Steirereck Restaurant in Vienna #9

Have anybody dined there recently?
Agree with many of the folks on this thread that the list should be taken with a grain of salt. We usually cross-reference with other sources and don't just trust the list blindly.

There are a few on here that we've tried recently and really enjoyed, Steirereck being one of our all-time favorites, along with Astrid y Gaston and French Laundry (links have some pictures and brief reviews from recent trip reports).

Had lunch at Eleven Madison and Nahm in Bangkok and found both to be underwhelming. Not sure if its a lunch vs. dinner thing, or simply that the restaurants weren't that amazing.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Made a reservation at Steirereck Restaurant in Vienna #9

Have anybody dined there recently?
The restaurant is phenomenal. The bread cart is probably the most spectacular bread cart you will ever see.

Which one?

http://www.lebristolparis.com/eng/restaurants-and-bars/

Last edited by cblaisd; May 5, 2013 at 6:48 am Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old May 3, 2013, 11:41 pm

Dropping Alinea out of the top 10 drops this list from my concern.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
"Epicure" is the best one.
114 faubourg is also a nice one.

Of course my free meal offer if not happy is for all FTalker hihihi
Old May 4, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

[QUOTE=cedricgerald;20694633][QUOTE=offerendum;20694168]

Eleven Madison, you may go for lunch and this is almost always available with no or little notice. This is the same menu at USD 195++.
The food is very good and it's a little show. But still not 3 stars in my opinion !!
I had Lunch at Eleven one Year ago, but can only go for Dinner this time. Got my reservation at Per Se via MO-Concierge...
Old May 4, 2013, 7:41 am

[QUOTE=offerendum;20696671][QUOTE=cedricgerald;20694633]

I had Lunch at Eleven one Year ago, but can only go for Dinner this time. Got my reservation at Per Se via MO-Concierge...
you're Lucky, below the e-mail received from MO concierge on September
7th

We have spoken this morning the Per Se regarding your request for October 7th but they are unable to take your reservation for dinner. We have placed your name on a priority waitlist and will contact you in the event that an opening occurs. Per Se also offer the front Salon for walk-in patrons beginning at 5:30PM each evening. If you prefer that we make a reservation at another restaurant for this evening, please contact us at your convenience.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

[QUOTE=cedricgerald;20696786][QUOTE=offerendum;20696671]

you're Lucky, below the e-mail received from MO concierge on September
7th

We have spoken this morning the Per Se regarding your request for October 7th but they are unable to take your reservation for dinner. We have placed your name on a priority waitlist and will contact you in the event that an opening occurs. Per Se also offer the front Salon for walk-in patrons beginning at 5:30PM each evening. If you prefer that we make a reservation at another restaurant for this evening, please contact us at your convenience.
To be honest itīs a shame, that a hotel that charges over 2000 a night is not able to get a table at a restaurant inside the same building
Old May 4, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I fully agree that the tasting is different in Europe and in the US (I don't say better, just different, ) For example Gordon Ramsay NY was VERY tasty and better than the one in Paris in every respects

I had several same dishes at Robuchon Paris and Robuchon Las Vegas and the taste was very different. (this time the Paris one was better)
Personally, I like Robuchon in Paris very much, most everywhere else, it's not a restaurant but a label. Relative to counters, I'm kind of liking eating that way these days.

IMHO
- Daniel & Jean Gorge will have no more than one star in Paris.
- #5 for Eleven Madison is a joke. I found Gordon Ramsay with only 2 stars MUCH better than Eleven Madison
- #24 for Robuchon in Paris is the biggest joke ever, fine dining is now at the counter.
11 Madison is a pretty room and the food is fine for what it is but I'm pretty comfortable saying it's not even # 5 in NYC.

Daniel would do better than 1* in Paris.

As a point of reference though, I'm eating less at places trying for 3* and more at places that are comfortable to be in and doing good food as 1*. I like what Ducasse is doing at Benoit in NY (although I'd really like it if they got a little gamey a la the original). Not in this league (and not trying to be) but very good in NY is Wallse by Kurt Gutenbrunner (who worked once at Tantris) in the West Village. A solid 1* which never disappoints.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:18 pm

[QUOTE=offerendum;20697398][QUOTE=cedricgerald;20696786]

To be honest itīs a shame, that a hotel that charges over 2000 a night is not able to get a table at a restaurant inside the same building
I had a small room (like all their rooms) and got a deal at only 800

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.