Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar
What's not to be missed in Tokyo? I know Tokyo has plenty of stellar places, but for my upcoming visit there I cannot decide - too many places to choose. We have only been to Nihonryori Ryugin and really liked it.
Type of cuisine?

I love Nihonryori Ryugin and try to visit annually.

I really liked Den Tokyo. Communal table seats about 12 offering modern kaiseki. The chef's wife and much of the staff speak English. Casual ambiance was great for lunch.
Sushi Sawada. I haven't been to all of the top sushi restaurants (like Saito), but this one is still my favorite.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by op487062
Type of cuisine?

I love Nihonryori Ryugin and try to visit annually.

I really liked Den Tokyo. Communal table seats about 12 offering modern kaiseki. The chef's wife and much of the staff speak English. Casual ambiance was great for lunch.
Sushi Sawada. I haven't been to all of the top sushi restaurants (like Saito), but this one is still my favorite.
Sushi is forever favorite, but we are open to any type of cuisine or fusion. We also have been (for lunch) to Sukiyabashi Jiro where Jiro himself made our sushi. Sushi was great, but as for ambiance - not so much. Ryugin we loved, perhaps we should re-visit...
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
What's not to be missed in Tokyo? I know Tokyo has plenty of stellar places, but for my upcoming visit there I cannot decide - too many places to choose. We have only been to Nihonryori Ryugin and really liked it.
I'm in Tokyo alot - and heading back next week.

Just booked for Sumibi Yakini-ku ...Legendary Waygu Toungue course (~25k yen/pax).

If you want the high end Kobe - I've been twice to "Gomei" Akita beef in Ginza (again ~30+k yen/pax) - Ginza Gomei Akita Beef Teppanyaki
Nice small place (seats ~10-12) where you sit at the grill and the chef cooks and serves each dish hot off the grill
Most of their chefs speak only Japanese - if you don't speak then request chef KYO - he is chinese and speaks fairly good english (enough to understand his explanations of the dishes/cooking style) - My Gf is chinese so we got more detailed information
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by rwm818
I'm in Tokyo alot - and heading back next week.

Just booked for Sumibi Yakini-ku ...Legendary Waygu Toungue course (~25k yen/pax).

If you want the high end Kobe - I've been twice to "Gomei" Akita beef in Ginza (again ~30+k yen/pax) - Ginza Gomei Akita Beef Teppanyaki
Nice small place (seats ~10-12) where you sit at the grill and the chef cooks and serves each dish hot off the grill
Most of their chefs speak only Japanese - if you don't speak then request chef KYO - he is chinese and speaks fairly good english (enough to understand his explanations of the dishes/cooking style) - My Gf is chinese so we got more detailed information
thank you! we've been to Dons de la Nature for waygu beef so I would be curious to try other places!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
thank you! we've been to Dons de la Nature for waygu beef so I would be curious to try other places!
Shima was good last time I was there.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by rwm818

Which sumibi yakiniku restaurant are you referring to? I love beef tongue and my fav is Tanya Matabei. Great sake selection and open till late too!
Old May 28, 2018, 4:31 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Just got back from three weeks in various parts of the Southern Pacific and wanted to thank the FT crowd for some excellent recommendations in Melbourne. Some notes:

Vue Du Monde - Perfect food service experience. The tasting menu itself was pretty good with some misses (a lamb tartare with no flavour of lamb) and possibly too many courses overall, with large proteins showing up late in the progression. Wine service was variable but the selection of wines was very good. And the view is outstanding.

Attica - Simply stunning from end to end. The progression was perfect, nice nods to classic Australian product and dishes throughout. As with all good tasting menus, it was a struggle to pick just one favourite. Service was professional but relaxed and very friendly. And the little visit 'outside' during the meal was both welcome and a lot of fun. We will be back.

Saint Crispin - A great vibe here and sadly quite empty on a Tuesday night. Everything from the eel churros to the final mains were delicious and more composed than I would have initially thought. There's a real sense of refinement to these dishes. The sommelier was good enough to take us through a bit of a tour of lesser known Australian wines and spirits. Great fun and very good meal.

Cutler & Co. - Ordered the chef's choice menu and was not disappointed. Duck and pork dishes really stood out and the wine selections we very good. Probably the most causal of the places we ate, but it has a nice buzz, with the service and pacing spot on.

Sadly, I can't recall who mentioned what, but recommendations made on this and the M* forum have always been solid. So thanks once again!
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; May 28, 2018 at 4:34 pm Reason: Spelling
Old May 28, 2018, 5:16 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Just returned from 2 weeks in Japan. Incredible dining is an understatement.

Narisawa is tremendous. Absolutely loved it. Perfect fusion of French technique with Japanese ingredients with a mind-blowing experimental approach that we loved. Perfect service, friendly and enthusiastic yet with a Japanese sense of formality. Incredible wine pairings, too. Absolutely worthy of its place as a top restaurant in the world.

Kitcho Arashiyama is perhaps the most memorable and uniquely Japanese of all the restaurants we enjoyed. Fabulous food, perfect precision in presentation and service, and great sake paired beautifully for a truly unique Japanese culinary experience unlike any other. World class. With a price tag to match!

Hajime is the most schizophrenic dining experience we’ve ever had, with some of the best food and most artful presentation we’ve ever enjoyed anywhere in the world...and the most tragic service fails we’ve ever experienced by any supposed top restaurant.

Yoshitake is worthy to be one of the top 100 restaurants. Spectacular sushi and fusion creations in a very impressive yet comfortable setting, even with little English spoken. Best sushi experience of all time.

Last edited by bhrubin; May 28, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:37 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Dined at Borago in SCL last month. Simply stunning.

Local foraged ingredients, many of which are similar to product found back home but quite unique to the Chilean ecosystem. 17+ plates all with a unique presentation style that echoed either flavours or origins of the star ingredient. Associated wine pairings were equally excellent, again many from small producers that we just never see in North America. Overall service was friendly, well informed and the pacing was spot on (about 3.5 hours end to end).

While I was there, I mentioned to my dining companion that certain aspects of this meal reminded me of a higher production version of another restaurant I frequent, the Willows on Lummi Island in Washington (if you haven't been, you should go). Sure enough, when I get back home I have an email from Chef Blaine at the the Willows that they are having a special evening with a visiting chef - Rodolfo Guzmán from Borago. It's a small world.

Highly recommended.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

Chef Massimo Bottura of Osteria Francescana was interviewed by Leslie Stahl on 60 Minutes tonight. He put a little 25 year old Balsamic on half of a cherry tomato. She was in heaven.

Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ILuvParis

Chef Massimo Bottura of Osteria Francescana was interviewed by Leslie Stahl on 60 Minutes tonight. He put a little 25 year old Balsamic on half of a cherry tomato. She was in heaven.

3 star kitchen
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:56 am

Sushi is forever favorite, but we are open to any type of cuisine or fusion. We also have been (for lunch) to Sukiyabashi Jiro where Jiro himself made our sushi. Sushi was great, but as for ambiance - not so much. Ryugin we loved, perhaps we should re-visit...
Went to both Jiro and Sawada recently, and I much preferred both the ambiance and the neta.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:48 pm

Went to Pujol twice; first time for their tasting menu during lunch and second time for their omakase taco menu for dinner. Simply amazing. Well worth the relatively low price for such a great fine dining experience.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:02 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Just had dinner Saturday night at Somni—located inside the Bazaar by Jose Andres restaurant at the SLS Beverly Hills. Wowza. Everything about it was amazing, and with the exception of one minor service snafu, this was worthy of the top 100 and Michelin 2 or 3* (were it to ever rank Los Angeles again).
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:03 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for NY for four adults and three kids. Somewhere less fussy but good and something unique (i.e. not a steakhouse like Keens, etc). My initial thought was Cosme, which is somewhat casual and loud, which I absolutely love but we want to try somewhere new. Same thoughts Estella. We've already been to the traditional top restaurants like Per Se, EMP, etc... but those are all a bit too quiet and way too formal.

Good cocktails or a place near a good bar, like Blind Tiger for beer even.

We're renting a loft in Tribeca so something relatively close is a huge plus.

I don't want it fit the traditional mode of top, as in fussy or expensive, but good and I know there are some really knowledgeable people on this thread. In fact, I find that the traditionally top places are underwhelming and a bit stale and boring

Last edited by DSI; Oct 25, 2018 at 8:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.